Submitted by Alexander Vrublevsky, posted on December 10, 2001

Image Description, by Alexander Vrublevsky

Here are a couple of shots from my game-engine. The engine is in the development but it’s features are:
  • BSP/PVS/Active zone
  • Colored static & dynamic light
  • Collision detection
  • Vertex deformation
  • Volumetric fog
  • Texture animation (shader system)
  • Particle system
  • Bezie splines
  • Basic scripting support
  • Basic physic
  • Basic GUI
  • Sound engine
  • the next things I want to implement are
  • Shadow volume
  • multi-environment integration (landscape + space sim. + etc.)
  • multiplayer support
  • improve script system
  • improve physics
  • Realtime algorithmic texture engine
  • Mirror/Portal surfaces
  • I’ve just released the first public preview of my Taurus engine. Taurus engine homepage is at http://project-taurus.narod.ru. There you can find more screenshots and more detailed information about the engine.

Alexander Vrublevsky

Sand Hawk

December 10, 2001, 10:11 AM

Looks pretty cool!! Might try the demo when I get home!!

gimbal

December 10, 2001, 10:27 AM

really cool! I love the lionshead in the bottom right pic (or is it a werewolf?)

Dr.Mosh

December 10, 2001, 10:33 AM

That looks really really nice, lovely textures, nice lighting, the fog adds to the scene instead of taking it over (like in q3)

StiNKy

December 10, 2001, 10:35 AM

ooooooooh nice.

=[Scarab]=

December 10, 2001, 10:40 AM

drewl :)

Moonbird

December 10, 2001, 10:47 AM

Wow, that's some nice lighting/texturing!

skynet

December 10, 2001, 10:49 AM

I dont think that adding can be used to simulate fog correctly. In the end it will brighten your scene up unnaturally, resulting in something like "glowing fog".

skynet

Bunnz

December 10, 2001, 11:11 AM

Really really cool

Have fun
    Bunnz
    Bunnz Productions

Aurora

December 10, 2001, 11:19 AM

Ouch thats nice. I did not even have to adjust my Gamma. One question though. Wheres the reflection of the torches on the stained glass in the lower left image and the middle right image?

Ron Frazier

December 10, 2001, 11:27 AM

I think the poster meant contributes to the scene, not mathematically adding the fog. However, on that note, something does seem strange about the fog in the top right pic. It looks unusually dense in the corner. Maybe he's using a quadratic fog or something?

freakyboy

December 10, 2001, 11:48 AM

i've tested your demo. seems quite "stable". at least in the end there was a dialog box saying somthing like "Everything OK".

two points though:

1st) the mouse was extremely hard to control ;) the negative x/y movement were a lot mor sensitive than the positive ones?!?!?

2nd) the camera moving is quite "laggy". you can see that the camera is moving from one keyframe to the other!

other than that, very good job! the performance is perhaps a little slow. it fell under 60fps on my P3 1.8ghz 1gb ram gf3 sometimes (but not that often). the fps would be higher if i hadn't vblank enabled.

freakyboy

Hiro Protagonist

December 10, 2001, 12:00 PM

Engine looks very cool. Those are UT textures are they not? If so you should have given props. Anyway, I agree with above posters that there is something wrong with the fog in the top right pic. If I saw fog like that in the real world I wouldn't hesitate to call haz-mat! ;) What do you plan on using for your network code if you dont mind me asking?

Squint

December 10, 2001, 12:09 PM

I think the fog in the upper right looks cool. Completely unrealistic, but as a special effect it looks quite elegant :o)

Buster

December 10, 2001, 12:16 PM

Is it snowing inside that room? I like your particle effects, I haven't quite figured those out yet.

richard

December 10, 2001, 12:38 PM

Nice!

Oh and thanks for giving me a new HD :)

(now how do I get rid of that Z: drive..)

geekster

December 10, 2001, 12:39 PM

Very well made. I liked the surreal feel to that building inside a chest. And the metal looks cool.
    But yellow snow? Eeep, don't eat the yellow snow. I felt like someone was taking a leak on me.
    The only flaw I see is the jumpy camera motion.

geekster

December 10, 2001, 12:41 PM

Use "subst z: /d"

Nate Miller

December 10, 2001, 12:43 PM

What is with that Z: drive thing? That has got to go if you ask me. Why can't your application just run from where I install it to? Not only is that Z: thing annoying, but your application doesn't remove it which means I get to waste my time trying to get rid of it.

richard

December 10, 2001, 12:51 PM

Tnx!

Sam Gamgee

December 10, 2001, 01:08 PM

Very nice!

chad

December 10, 2001, 01:45 PM

Very cool, but I'd have to agree that those camera movements are pretty bad. I felt kinda sick after watching it jerk around for a bit.

Chappa

December 10, 2001, 01:55 PM

I definitely agree with Nate Miller! Remove that thing with the Z drive. I've already mapped my CD-Rom to Z (...thanks to W2k) and don't want to change it just because of some demo (although it looks pretty cool).
    Oh, and don't take it as an offence, I hate those drive letters anyway ;-)

ttentacle

December 10, 2001, 02:07 PM

Very nice level...
    You did it?

CGI Joe

December 10, 2001, 02:23 PM

Blimey, I'm glad you metioned that. I didn't even notice it was still there..eep! (Why did he need that? Odd).

roma_k

December 10, 2001, 02:40 PM

Good work, man !!!

RoastBeef

December 10, 2001, 04:30 PM

This looks stunning, and I'm wondering if you could answer a question for me:
    What level editor did you use?

For me, writing an engine all comes down to level formats and editing tools, I'm always held back trying to write/find the perfect level editor/format, and would like to know what you used.

Again, nice work, great looking engine, haven't tried it yet, but I sure as hell will.

EGreg

December 10, 2001, 04:35 PM

Quite cool. I like your artistic style, man, in those rooms. Really something.

Pikachu is cooler, but....

Are these levels from a known game? I am very impressed if you made them yourself. I really like the atmospheric effects in the rooms, in short. :)

-Greg

SHilbert

December 10, 2001, 04:38 PM

Pretty cool demo. The shininess is really nice :)
    Only a few problems:
    1) The demos seem jumpy/sporadic
    2) The mouse is weird. It seems to snap to a grid or something, hard to use.
    3) The Z: drive thing. That's annoying >_<

Anyway, everyone, to fix the Z drive thing, type this in your command prompt:

subst z: /d

That should do the trick. Adios.

Alexander Vrublevsky

December 10, 2001, 05:03 PM

Thanks for all of your replyes!!!

I answer some question you asked:
    1) Magic "Z" drive!!! Cool, know that? Sorry for this, but when I create my virtual file system it was one possible way to handle it (new version is able to work without magic "Z" drive)
    2) About final message "Working fine!" - it was so hard to catch some bugs & I created some guard for them...
    3) "Laggy" camera motion & mouse control -- it was done last night before my conference speech (not bad for last night). Camera moves from keypoint to keypoint (all keypoints are defined by hands :( ) using linear interpolation (new version of engine use a B-Splines for that moving)
    4) Yellow snow! Yes, don't eat that :)

This demo was shown at May and now I seriously have changed the engine and at present I work on next features:

1) landscape + outdoor models (bridges and buildings)
    2) improving speed of indoor engine
    3) skeletal key-frame animation for models
    4) network code (UDP + TCP/IP)

Always glad to receive and answer the questions!!!

Rasmus Christian Kaae

December 10, 2001, 05:29 PM

Why is everyone developing these Q3 3D-engines? (They are just as boring as outdoor landscape engines if you ask me).