Submitted by Ariel Jacob, posted on December 05, 2001

Image Description, by Ariel Jacob

This picture is from my latest (and first) game named "catapults". The game was written using Delphi/Kylix and SDL (I made it to the SDL competition). The general idea of the game is the same as in "contact 4" but with a twist (its realtime and with sheeps ;)

My engilsh is not the best so ill cut this short, the main features are:
  • Runs under linux and windows. (The lower images, KDE (left) and Gnome (right))
  • Has music and SoundFX.
  • The game takes less then 1MB on disk ! (SDL contest)
  • Toggle screen mode, full-screen/windowed.
  • 3 level of AI.
  • 2 game mode, real-time and "classic"
  • and its FREE ! :)
  • you can download the game from: (no site yet..)
    www.global-rd.com/ariel/win_catapults.exe

Hope you like it !

Ariel.

Liquidex

December 05, 2001, 06:19 PM

Pretty kickass man. Heh the first time I looked at the image, it looked like the catapults were go karts, and I was wondering if it was some sort of funky "Connect 4 Racing" game. Can't really figure out how that woulda worked. :D

Anyway, looks pretty interesting. Nicely done.

--Liq

Das Wolf

December 05, 2001, 06:54 PM

coool

Bunnz

December 05, 2001, 06:56 PM

Looks really great

Maybe the items aren't fittin that well to the background - but in general really cool

Have fun
    Bunnz
    Visit: www.bunnz.com

valg3

December 05, 2001, 07:08 PM

The catapults done looks like they fit in entirely, but I like it :-) Fun to play.

Jeroen

December 05, 2001, 07:20 PM

Looks nice.

I'm interested in SDL. How is it in real world use? Did you need any additional API's or something to get all the finctionality you need, or is it pretty complete?

Jeroen

Spacebender

December 05, 2001, 07:44 PM

I downloaded your game and tried it out. I like it. The computer beat me once ;)

MiNDHiVE

December 05, 2001, 07:55 PM

Looks great! Very original... I'll definately be downloading it for a look! It was the SDL coding contest that prompted me to learn SDL. Unfortunately my creativity has been pretty lax and I had no really good original ideas. I do know the API quite well now though.

For Jeroen: SDL is a perfectly good API for real world use in my opinion. It's been used by Loki for many commercial game ports after all. In my experience games do tend to run faster in Linux than in Windows, but that would be cos Windows is shite. In and of itself it has quite good functionality at a low level but still requires much work on your part... however there are many (MANY!) companion libraries available for almost any task. Personally I use SDL, SDL_image, SDL_ttf and SDL_mixer. I also switched from DirectX Graphics to OpenGL in order to keep my programs multi-platform. Everything I've written with SDL compiles and runs without change on both Windows and Linux.

Tino Didriksen

December 05, 2001, 08:32 PM

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/sdl1/ tells the tale of how it works on Win32.

Tino Didriksen
    Project JJ

Morgan

December 05, 2001, 09:02 PM

The only SDL bug I ever found was fixed before I could report it-- the community is really responsive and new releases come out about every month. It basically wraps DirectInput, the windowing API, threads, timing, and sound. You do all of your graphics in OpenGL; there's no 3D API provided (which is a good thing).

-m

shahar2k

December 05, 2001, 10:07 PM

OH WOW LOOK AT THIS GAME IT'S IN FREAKING CREDIBLE!!

the graphics are out of this world, smooth animations and perfect gameplay!!!!!!!

(p.s. I'm listed under "graphics" in the credits :) )

SkyFire360

December 05, 2001, 11:26 PM

Congratulations... you've made a thoroughly addicting game. I've seriously spent the last 20 minutes straight playing it. Well done!

Two quick things... first off, if you set all the players to "smart" computers and turn on real-time, they all begin to fire in one spot until someone hits a sheep ::shrugs:: Second, the AI is very well done, but it gets a bit slow when you play with 3 smart computers.

My 2 Cents ^_~

savage

December 06, 2001, 04:58 AM

Hi All,
    As well as compiling the same project file under both Delphi ( for Windows ) and Kylix ( for Linux ), we have also attempted to make JEDI-SDL ( the Object Pascal bindings for SDL ) work with the FreePascal compiler, so with a slight tweak it should compile under FPC as well.

L8R,

Dominique Louis
    JEDI-SDL site
    Delphi Gamer := for all your Object Pascal game development needs;

Squint

December 06, 2001, 07:16 AM

www.libsdl.org has most of what you need to know. I recommend the 'gears' demo program as a way to get started with it, since one thing it does lack is documentation.

lots of related libraries there too, including image loading and network and stuff, but Im not sure how good they are.

ArielJ

December 06, 2001, 08:41 AM

SkyFire:
    The AI calculation is based on scoring, if they are all in the same level and there is one "GOOD" spot they will try to put the ball in there.
    About the speed.. if you select level 3 ("smart") it will calculate the game in 3 deeps per slot, and that a LOT of options !
    You should have seen it before I thread it :)
    For the real-time game I play against computer at level 1 and 3, I can win that..

If you have the game try running the tutorial, it's a short movie generated by the "powerful" catapults engine ;)

L8R,

Ariel.

Rui Martins

December 06, 2001, 08:55 AM

Very well done game, and the music I think suits vcery well, with the mood of the game.

Just one improvement, support multiple "4 in row" lines at the same.
    What I mean, you can place a ball, in position, where it would actually make a Vertical AND Horizontal AND Diagonal solution, or any combination of these, using only one ball. Of course, extra bonus should be add, since this harder to accomplish.

I did a Vertical AND Diagonal and only the Vertical actually solved.

God look to whatever next game you plan to do.
    You seem to be a very talented person in several game creation areas.

See ya

Acidtil

December 06, 2001, 09:02 AM

I haven't found this gear demos !?!?! Where can I get it ?

ArielJ

December 06, 2001, 09:39 AM

That's an intrusting idea, I can hardly manage to win in real-time so I didn't even imagine it can be done :)
    Thanks for the idea.

Ariel.

Jeroen

December 06, 2001, 01:14 PM

Sorry, I meant to ask how you like it, not the technical details. Is it easy, or hard? Did _you_ find anything missing etc?

Jeroen