Submitted by William Dahlberg, posted on December 04, 2001

Image Description, by William Dahlberg

There has been a lot of advanced graphics IOTD's lately, so I thought I'd post a little more...not so...advanced one. This image is taken from a little game that I've done, it's called Alien Attack.

The game started out as a little experiment(I'm learning OpenGL) and grew into this funny little game, so there's a lot of things I would have done different if I would have amied for a game from the start. As you can see on the picture it is a simple shoot 'em up and all graphics is rendered using textured OpenGL quads, the graphics may be extremely simple, but the result is pretty neat! don't you think? The music and other sounds is played using the REX library, created by Nathan Davidson, so big aps for him! Although Alien Attack is a very simple game, it's still a complete game so go to my webpage and download it! If you want the source code(comments are in swedish), you can send a mail to william.dahlberg@telia.com and I'll send it to you!

Now, you may think: "what's up with the name! Alien Attack...looks like a normal spaceship-blowing-up-comets type of game to me". Well, read the story at my webpage and you'll understand...

//William Dahlberg

Octopussy

December 04, 2001, 02:31 PM

I'm going to try it right now.

Explosion in front of spaceship seems very beautiful.. I'm impatient to see it animated.

It's a shame that background is only black with white pixels..

Are you looking for space backgrounds ? I did some for my own game, so if you wish to have some, just reply.

Nice work, looks very good for a "simple" OpenGL learning experiment ;-)

Alexis.

Octopussy

December 04, 2001, 02:51 PM

I tried it and like the fact that you put much effort into art and design, which is not common for most of us.

How did you do your explosion ? It is really nice and I wished to have one of that kind !

One of the first game I did was exactly the same : asteroids coming from the top, space ship on the bottom.

Maybe you can add some bonus ( power up that gives 2 fire, life, shield power, speed down, that kind.. ) and some more intelligent enemies ( I did in my game some mines that pursued the space ship and missile that were dropping as asteroids but in direction of the space ship... ) ?

Alexis.

Bunnz

December 04, 2001, 02:57 PM

Looks nice

Go on with it - someday you will create the mega hyper super game!

Have fun
Bunnz

ReAL

December 04, 2001, 03:14 PM

looks good, like the rocks!

Acidtil

December 04, 2001, 03:29 PM

Your explosion are awesome !!! How do you do it !?!?!

It's really nice for a learning title :)

Hummm I must whip my and start my own little game project !!! Ah, so much to do and so little time !!!

Fake

December 04, 2001, 04:25 PM

Maybe the name of the game should be "Asteroid Attack". There dont seem to be any aliens attacking.

Mattman

December 04, 2001, 04:26 PM

That's a lot of stars :-P

Obble

December 04, 2001, 04:37 PM

Excellent explosion

improvment: Don't reload everything when the user changes the button
Music On / Off, in the options

nosfy

December 04, 2001, 05:20 PM

The game looks coool (haven't tried yet).

But the story is probably one of the worst I have ever seen!! : )

MgFun

December 04, 2001, 06:02 PM

cool game and explosion.

But one remark... do not change the resolution directly make an apply button or something.

L.e.Denninger

December 04, 2001, 06:19 PM

Looks okay, but as a game it's a little boring :)

Joshua A. Winn (JAW)

December 04, 2001, 07:40 PM

Looks pretty good but there are WAY too many stars in the background.

bwalmisley

December 04, 2001, 08:17 PM

Theres too many stars!

But apart from that how did you do the explosions? They do look pretty good.

Benedict

--xerostar--

December 04, 2001, 08:42 PM

from the preceding post about his web page...

if you have a dirt slow connection, dont visit his web site.
on the other hand william should provide a link off this page
so others dont have to suffer.

with a good connection his web page looks decent and loads fine

Myko

December 04, 2001, 11:06 PM

Nice Jem'Hadar Battleship there!

Morlith

December 05, 2001, 01:57 AM

You should have read the description on the website: this game is called alien attack because *you* are the alien!

The explosions look like they're from a Special FX cd-rom or something, very cool!

Next step could be some human spaceship as enemies... =)

fluffy

December 05, 2001, 02:19 AM

Huh, looks like my comment was deleted.

The problem with the webpage wasn't that it was "high bandwidth" or anything, just that it had some asininely SLOW "text flying onto the page" transition-type stuff, at least under MSIE 5 for MacOS X. It took only a second for the page to load, but about 30 for it to *display* because the text was ever-so-slowly flying onto the screen in a piecewise manner. It was VERY annoying. My comment was trying to capture the feeling I had when it was happening.

fluffy

December 05, 2001, 02:24 AM

Oh, and because it was implemented in Javascript, the page doesn't even display if you have Javascript disabled. It seems to die a horrible death under Galeon (a Mozilla-based browser for UNIX), as well.

jurgen

December 05, 2001, 03:09 AM

nice one there, checking out website

jurgen

houssem_bdioui

December 05, 2001, 03:22 AM

OHHHH
very nice ya3tikom 3asba

neh

December 05, 2001, 04:01 AM

its nice to see ppl finish things. i never do :)

L.e.Denninger

December 05, 2001, 04:34 AM

The explosions are from a pyrotechnics-cd, can't remember the url though (they have some free sample-movies to download, but don't try to search the internet on "free sample movie" if you're smart ;))

Jan Niestadt

December 05, 2001, 05:25 AM

rt(f)d ;-)

William Dahlberg

December 05, 2001, 06:18 AM

Cool you like it!

The explosion animation is taken from a CD that came with a 3D studio MAX book. I've made the comets using Bryce. The explosion animation is just a bunch of textures that is mapped onto a quad after each other!

I know the flying text on the webpage can be annoying(I'm going to change it).
Anyways the webpage can be visited at www.william.dahlberg.as also.

Shplorb

December 05, 2001, 11:10 AM

I know where that explosion is from!

/maps/artbeats/Digital Film Library/clips/Hercules.mov on the 'world creation toolkit' CD that comes with max.

Now that I've got the CD in the drive, all those video clips look great. =]

Fake

December 05, 2001, 11:24 AM

F U

;)

William Dahlberg

December 05, 2001, 11:34 AM

To Kevin and Danny: I can't mail you the source. I've tried a couple of times and every time I get a mail back that says that it couldn't be sent. Do you have another mail adress that I can send it to?

Alexander Vrublevsky