Submitted by José Carlos Martin, posted on November 29, 2001

Image Description, by José Carlos Martin

Hi. I am Santiago Orgaz, a programmer here in Spain. Currently, i am working in coin-op developer market but in my spare time making a graphic engine called "Inferno". The image shows self-shadowing) with shadow volumes. The FSAA provides some blur in shadow edges.

The engine provides portals/bps/octree visibility culling, FSAA, shadows and dynamic volumetric lights, billboards and particle systems, terrain generators, level editor/viewer, per pixel lighting, support for skinning, morphing and FFDs, cube or paraboloid environment mapping, DX8.1 and OGL optimized drivers, based on dessign patterns, COM or C libraries availability and Maya/3dsmax/Softimage utils.

dan_g

November 29, 2001, 03:40 PM

What's the point of all those features if you're not gonna show 'em off/use them?

Morlith

November 29, 2001, 03:40 PM

Can someone explain how stencil shadows work or is there any tutorial on the subject?

raimund

November 29, 2001, 03:47 PM

i think the woman's model comes with 3dsmax 3...

btw is there a demo of your engine available?

z66831

November 29, 2001, 04:13 PM

Are you just saying that because of the nVidia logo in the corner of the screen? That's a switch you can throw on nVidia hardware.

-z

.-wXm-.

November 29, 2001, 04:57 PM

well I think the woman is created with the "CreatureCreator" plug-in for 3ds max..

keep it going guys.. :)..

S. Orgaz

November 29, 2001, 05:01 PM

I have exporters for 3dsmax. Yes, it was in a tutorial.

Frez

November 29, 2001, 05:23 PM

Did you really create utils for Maya AND Max AND Softimage ?
I don't understand the aim of these 3 utils... One of them is sufficient, I think.

Ogotay

November 29, 2001, 05:31 PM

For the flexibility of his engine and maybe the learning purpose? Why not?

Octopussy

November 29, 2001, 06:49 PM

Well.. I agree that I wished to see more features in this IOTD.. the feature list is quite impressive but we can only imagine.. that's a shame, aren't you agree José Carlos ?

Would you be so kind as to prepare us more screenshots and give us the link to them, please.

I'm really interested about what you did, it seems to be pretty complete.

Could you also give us more informations about the design patterns you used ? In other word, about your engine architecture.. I think you really have to, because I'm ravenous now :-)

Thanks.

Alexis.

disableddan

November 29, 2001, 06:58 PM

Very nice! I only noticed one problem- the shadow is cast right through the pillar... i think. Very well done! Nice feature list!

As for the NVidia logo, in case this hasn't been answered (sorry if it already has ;) ) but the nVidia control panel allows you to display that when running Direct3D apps. I dunno why, but you can.

Nice work!

OnDeZ

November 29, 2001, 08:37 PM

for the person who was aking, FFD stands for Free Form Deformation or something like that. How you'd use it in a game engine is beyond me tho

Ron Frazier

November 29, 2001, 09:25 PM

Not really. Looks to me like the model cast a shadow ONTO the pillar, and then the pillar is casting its own shadow.

It is kinda misleading though, because of the fact that the edge of the pillar's shadow matches up perfectly with the shadow from the model's hand, so I could see how you thought that was the model's shadow behind the pillar.

Craig Rennie

November 29, 2001, 09:28 PM

nah man, that's the shadow OF the pillar :)

J Persson

November 29, 2001, 09:46 PM

I like the fact that you are on version 1.0a after four years of development. I know of a company that got to version 7 on their app in the first year ;)

J Persson

November 29, 2001, 09:48 PM

Hey, I think it's programmers art week ;)

Wilbur

November 29, 2001, 11:22 PM

The version number is all relative to what you and your company deem worth changing the revision number. Some people start out at 0.1/1.0/10.0....in the end run it doesn't matter as long as it runs well and is quality software. I think Illustrator 9 is a decent piece of software. I am not trying to be argumentative either. Just making a comment. The engine looks great. I wish I had something close.

abdulla

November 30, 2001, 02:41 AM

the version number is irrelevant, quake 2 was at version 3.20, does that mean that it was really quake 3? no, version number is what you make of it

Neon Rice

November 30, 2001, 02:45 AM

FFD = Free Form Deformation.

Neon Rice

November 30, 2001, 02:48 AM

You wouldn't unless you like pain.

Carmack

November 30, 2001, 05:47 AM

Hi!

nice work José ! look's pretty good :)

hasta
Tiago Sousa

houssem_bdioui

November 30, 2001, 06:10 AM

Wow Nice Features, r there some demos ?

Manuel Astudillo

November 30, 2001, 10:07 AM

in NeHes tutorials can you find how to make stencil shadows....

KILE

November 30, 2001, 10:24 AM

Very very good engine paisano ;P

Chris12345

December 03, 2001, 07:48 AM

very Nice!
I also implemented shadow-volumes and experienced som serious problems with them:

- Camera Inside Shadowvolume. This seems almost impossible to find out! if your camera is inside a shadowvolume, they won´t work right. You see black walls around you. Because the shadowvolume can have any shape, it seems almost impossible to track when this happens.

- Fillrate:
when your shadow requires an large shadowvolume, this becomes an issue.

Did you find a workaround for these problems?

Beast

December 04, 2001, 09:52 AM

That's about it.

Sly - tfpsly

December 04, 2001, 12:06 PM

For the camera inside the shadow-volume: use either Carmack's reverse shadow volume trick, or NVidia's robuste shadow volumes.

Matt

December 04, 2001, 12:20 PM

A Fix to the 'camera inside shadowvolume' problem:

Increase stencil when back faces *fail* z-test.
Decrease stencil when front faces *fail* z-test.

Your shadow volumes need to be nicely capped etc, though that's easy if you're doing them in a VShader :)

Matt

December 04, 2001, 12:21 PM

Doh!!!!
Just saw 'Sly - tfpsly's reply.... :)

Chris12345

December 09, 2001, 09:07 AM

Thx.

Nice idea. But it seems, i cannot use the fixed-function-pipe for that. That must all be done in a Pixelshader?
im a little bit out of topic at the moment...

Matt

December 10, 2001, 12:15 PM

Nope. Fixed-function is fine. Change your z-test to 'Greater' rather than 'less-equal' then set the stencil-op for stencil pass. That's the D3DRS_STENCILPASS state in D3D.

HTH