Submitted by Jolle, posted on November 27, 2001

Image Description, by Jolle

Here is a picture showing my latest 3d landscape engine, supporting realtime LOD, realtime radiosity and ultra neat hyper antialising. It runs at... ohh... sorry, must have typed wrong there ;)

This is some pictures from a game I am making. It is called Blastup 2 (some of you people might remember a game called Blastup in the lame game contest about two years ago here at flipcode). I have been working on it about half a year in my spare time, or in parts of my spare time you might say.

It is a simple shoot-the-other-guy-with-a-grenade-in-the-head-like-game (like gorillas, except that you don't type angle and power, you just touch the arrowkeys a bit). The whole game is working on the pixel level, and is about 98,3% software rendered (with a 0,02 margin of error). It works on most svga cards (i.e. it doesn't require a FeGorce 58xmg with 2567 MB of memory etc).

Sooo, how about the performance? It is not anything blazing fast, with brand new technology written in any % machine code. It is written in C/C++, and runs at about 55 fps on my p3 500. Don't know how it runs on newer computers, but I tried it on a old p2 300, and it ran at about 30-50 fps (depending on the weather fx and water).

It is written using tinyptc for graphic output and fmod for sound output. Things like timer and keyboard are wrapped up in classes. This will probably make the game quite easy to port, but I am not planning to do that, so I don't really know... (it have been developed on windows 98, but it probably works on 2000 and the like as well)

Maybee some of you are pondering why I have written such a game. It has been done many times before, and there isn't anything in particular new with this one. Well, all I can say is that it have been very fun writing it, and that's enough for me. (It is also a very addictive game, believe me ;)

Warning! Some of those popular feature lists coming up...

Currently features:
  • 640x480x32 fullscreen/windowed mode
  • 2d landscape generator, supporting custom themes
  • Really nice per pixel alpha blended sprites
  • Somewhat not realistic realtime animated water
  • Weather fx
  • Wind affecting shots/waves/snow/rain etc
  • Computer opponents
  • Sfx
  • Menus
  • Particles that are updated 500 times per second (don't ask me why...)
  • Satisfactory improvised physics
  • Simple timer slowdown for slowmotion
  • + more small things not worth mention
  • Suggested todo features:
  • Network play
  • Action replay
  • Screensaver mode (cpu players battleing each other)
  • Theme/level editor
  • Recording games
  • Music
  • The game and the sourcecode for the current version (beta 1.1) can be downloaded here.

Thank you for reading (and please excuse possible bad english ;)

/ Jolle (Ola Frid)

NilientesCBA

November 27, 2001, 12:14 PM

looks reaaly nice..
    but the link is broken..

Krylar

November 27, 2001, 12:51 PM

Sweet! Good luck with this, and thanks for sharing the code :)

-Krylar

freakyboy

November 27, 2001, 12:56 PM

cool :) i'like your description :))

groundh0g

November 27, 2001, 12:57 PM

Nice. 8-)

Gareth

November 27, 2001, 01:02 PM

Since it doesn't require using my FeGorce 58xmg with 2567 MB I am not even going to try it ! :)

Nice work there, and if you had fun, then thats the best reason to do stuff like that.

stoo

November 27, 2001, 01:06 PM

"Particles that are updated 500 times per second (don't ask me why...)"

Made me laugh out loud.. Its the kind of thing I say.. :))

Ah, brings back memories of tanx...

stoo

Greven

November 27, 2001, 01:21 PM

Gah! It looks fun, but the link is broken! Please fix it, I love these types of games :)

David Olsson

November 27, 2001, 01:27 PM

Concentrate on network play, that would be really fun.

Anthracks

November 27, 2001, 01:32 PM

You're a funny man Jolle, your description is almost better than the picture :). Looks like fun!

Anthracks

Jolle

November 27, 2001, 01:39 PM

Thanks for your comments. And about the link, the server is unfortunately down at the moment... I will try to find another place to upload it.

whyabadi

November 27, 2001, 01:39 PM

I believe that you and your game look great :)
    plz fix the broken link , i am interested

Punchey

November 27, 2001, 01:42 PM

So why are the particles updated 500 times a second? :-)

Jolle

November 27, 2001, 01:57 PM

Yeah! Got a new place for the file. Here it is: http://absession.ath.cx/~blastup/blastup2beta11.zip.

And about the particles... I dont know. I think i tested it with something like that in the beginning, and then it worked alright, so I used it... or something.

/ Jolle

nosfy

November 27, 2001, 02:07 PM

The game looks great and seems to be fun.

Huh sorry to bother you with that? But if your game runs at 50 - 60 fps? What is the benefit of updating your particles 500 times a second? Aren't you doing 90% of your updates for nothing?

Mace

November 27, 2001, 02:39 PM

I love these kind of games (Scorch is the best!).
    Hope you implement mp soon

Nate Miller

November 27, 2001, 02:45 PM

That is a great little game. It is nice to see that you released the source code to it as well. Reminds me a lot of my all time favorite game Worms and all of the time I spent playing it.

Nate

Jolle

November 27, 2001, 02:47 PM

nosfy: Well, honestly, I don't think there are any benefits.

Please everybody, stop asking about the particle updates ;)

Ron Frazier

November 27, 2001, 03:08 PM

Well, I was thinking you might be updating particles 500 times a second to deal with some collision detection problems, like particles that go through each other. If thats that case, there are more elegant ways to deal with it than to simulate everything 500 times a second. For instance, you could check 2 particles, and if they might have collided (ex: the boxes that bounds the start and end position of the particles that frame overlap) then run those 2 particles through a finer grained simulation. There are several variations of this idea.

However, it does take more code to do this, so if your app runs quite well just using the brute force technique, then I guess theres no need to worry about it (unless you want to make it run even better on really old hardware).

maddoc

November 27, 2001, 03:15 PM

How did you check wether a map is playable or not? I played a long time on one map and I asked myself theoretically the AI was able to pos. the 2 worms but changed the map. Are you doing a check or do you change the worlds every 7 games or so?

Ahh and to everyone here: Activate the Blood!! It's really a pain in the ass (for the worms =)

Joshua A. Winn (JAW)

November 27, 2001, 03:16 PM

Yay! 2d forever! Looks nice

Jolle

November 27, 2001, 03:17 PM

Ron Frazier: I think you are right. To be honest, I didn't really remember why I used 500/s, but now when you mention it, I think it was for the collision. It was quite some time ago i wrote that part of the game... Cool thing I get answers about my game, even without asking =)

Jolle

November 27, 2001, 03:26 PM

maddoc: I just check if there is enough horisontal land inside the placing bounds.

I am going offline now, so I will not be able to answer any more questions in about 14 h. Just thought you guys should know.

=[Scarab]=

November 27, 2001, 03:30 PM

You used some of the ideas I was going to use for my future 2D IOTD!! (Coming somewhere in 2167 or something I suppose :) Damn, have to come up with new funny ideas then. :)

Anyway, I like your game and I like your style. :P

Phil Carlisle

November 27, 2001, 03:33 PM

Looks like a game I know :))

I like the reflections in the water :)) fun. Also, the programmer art is top notch :))

Its funny how little games like this are just addictive as hell, but I thank god they are!!

Phil.

DrPetter

November 27, 2001, 03:53 PM

Haha! What a great little game :)
    I just love the way the water wobbles when you (or your opponent) falls into it, and those snow levels are beautiful!

Thanks for a wonderfully simple & enjoyable game :D

EGreg

November 27, 2001, 05:22 PM

Whoo! What do all those screens do?

-Grigorio

whyabadi

November 27, 2001, 06:17 PM

really nice game
    but i think it needs some additions , like "reply" feature and maybe
    more than 1 weapon and dont forget "multi-player" .
    I found only 1 bug or maybe you wanted to be that way i dont know :) , when the player goes off the screen to the right or the left side , the other player wins the game .

William Gifford

November 27, 2001, 07:02 PM

Man that video card sounds awesome. Where can I get one?

Genu

November 27, 2001, 11:41 PM

Way to go!

Mario kart for Snes is still the best game I know after all and it was a kind of 2d(after Quartet, alexkid, civ 1, mario 4...)

are you a futur Shigeru Myamoto?

Dan Royer

November 28, 2001, 03:29 AM

heh... but where are the easter eggs?

Have you thought of basing your level generation on a Mersenne twister or some other pseudo-random number generation method? then you could record the seed value of the PRNG and that would be the "level number". ppl could then replay as much as they wanted.

Add in a custom weapon editor like Warheadz and you could go shareware.