Submitted by zed, posted on November 20, 2001

Image Description, by zed

heres some of the stuff ive been working on the last 2 weeks, not shown is my collision detection/physics research ( though i might dump that and use Russell L. Smith's dynamics library ODE which looks very promising ) anyways the above shots have come about because ive decided to up the minimum requirements for götterdämmerung to at least a hardware t+l card. Im figuring when I finally release götterdämmerung, geforce256's will be the voodoo1's of today :(. As we all know hardware t+l == polygon pusher, but a lot of polygons == lot of storage. so what ive been doing is procedurally generating the models/textures (and sussing out how to do this very fast during runtime) the trees at the top were 'grown' using a variation of 'grammer models' (see cgp+p for a description) the rocks/wood etc at the bottom are noise generated. the top shot has about 200,000 polys so even my vanta is able to handle it (single digit fps though :( ) which aids testing but I will prolly up the count when I get my hands on a hardware t+l card.

zed zeek

(big page the site will prolly overload just gotta be patient)

Ogotay

November 21, 2001, 08:48 AM

Imo Twilight of the Gods sounds cool... a good Bathory album btw. ;)

Squint

November 21, 2001, 09:07 AM

The top left (smooth metallic looking blob) of the bottom 9 things - is that 3D noise, or 2D noise wrapped to a sphere? And what kind of noise is it, exactly? It's the result I was looking for once and the nearest I ever got was along the lines of the shape in the bottom right... it's that 'smoothed' look I never seemed to achieve...

zed zeek

November 21, 2001, 03:20 PM

yeah got heaps from that film
unfortunatly zed has become the in letter at the moment. X is on the wane its now the rise of Z. here in nz theres a popular band called 'zed', telephones are called zed. and last week a credit card came out called zed. advertisement with brains from thunderbirds >>ah hello remember me, heres my latest invention 'zed'

zed zeek

November 21, 2001, 03:23 PM

there all generated from the same piece of 3d noise. first the shape was generated and then from the shape the texture was generated, giving hopefully the impression of a solid texture

bgl

November 21, 2001, 08:28 PM

> 10 million polygons per second, which is 250,000 at 60 FPS

250,000 * 60 == 15,000,000

Anyway, to get close to 10 MTps you need to be drawing only one or a few frames per second, with no lighting, no Z culling, no overdraw, yadda yadda yadda.

Never trust benchmarks unless they're run on the exact application that you're interested in running!

James Matthews

November 21, 2001, 09:42 PM

L-Systems are trees and other structures generated using simple strings. See http://www.generation5.org/lse.shtml for more information. :)

James.

greldik

November 22, 2001, 02:39 PM

This is just a side note that has nothing to do with the actual thread (sorry!).
But WHY do they always measure with triangles per second? If you render a triangle strip you get a higher polycount per second than if you render each triangle separate. So a more correct measuring would be vertices per second.
Plus, vertices per second gives much higher numbers which would look better in an add (since that is really what counts here).

Anybody got any ideas on this? or am I the only one thinking about stupid things like this? =)

/ Martin

TechBucket

November 22, 2001, 05:08 PM

Amazing talent, terrible typing.

I think that's one of the best IOTDs I've seen yet. It's just a shame that the description is so difficult to read.

Still, zed is the man.

EGreg

November 22, 2001, 06:44 PM

And I thought I was an expert on music history! Wow... 18 hour opera? And part of an X hour cycle? Wow... and besides that cycle there were other things in this bugs bunny episode? How long was the episode? 5 days long?

-Greg

PS: I'm glad it doesnt mean what I thought it did.

William Dahlberg

November 23, 2001, 02:26 AM

Jeez!

Your engine looks really amazing!
Is it going to be used in a comercial game?
The shot where you see a guy standing in high grass and you can see mountains in the background is very good looking.

As TechBucket said: Zed is the man!

Jerran

November 23, 2001, 02:51 AM

And then the kid buying new accelerator thinks "What the hell is vertice?" and just dumbs that option. Old puppy doesn't learn any new tricks I guess :)

Sami Hamlaoui

November 25, 2001, 02:57 PM

nVidia posted a demo of proceedural trees a while ago, and those look worryingly similar...