Submitted by Dyna Mite, posted on November 15, 2001

Image Description, by Dyna Mite

So many Dark and Serious pics.. all very well. But every so often we want something Bright, Bubbly and Fun. Like this.. my Dynamite Game. A freely downloadable Bomberman game for the PC (Windows / Dos versions) using the excellent Allegro Library (v3.9.39).

640 x 480 x 256 colour classic gaming fun.. 20 different powerups, random maze maps, 4 players on one machine with upto 4 monsters as well..

For classic four player huddles around a keyboard and excellent multiplayer fun.. what more do you need?

Freely downloadable as long as you give me some feedback - this is a feedbare production!

savor

November 15, 2001, 01:25 PM

i haven't played the game, but from your screenshot it looks to be true that enemies can walk through walls?
(i supposed those blue blobs were enemies)
why is this?

sagacity

November 15, 2001, 01:29 PM

Those enemies are ghosts. Ghosts tend to walk/float/shimmer through walls and other solid stuff. They also did that in the original Bomberman.

And obviously anything that contains Bomberman can't be bad, so cheers!

Lohkay

November 15, 2001, 01:30 PM

Why not make it multiplayer? 4 ppl around 1 keyboard is just a bit too much.

Dyna Mite

November 15, 2001, 01:37 PM

Yes, the ghosts are able to move through walls as in the original dynablaster game.

Multiplayer over a LAN network is something that is interesting, but I don't know much about that in regard to implementing it. If enough people are interested I may have a go at adding it.

Cheers, Rich!

Sturm

November 15, 2001, 01:47 PM

I'm interested in a muliplayer version (LAN) of the game, and why limit it to only 640*480 would be greate to play 1600*1200 and maybe 16 players :)

-- Sturm

Dyna Mite

November 15, 2001, 01:51 PM

All I can see is that you must have good eyesight for 1600 x 1200.. or a BIG monitor..

;)

I'll see how much response I get.. if people want me to add features, or discuss them I suggest posting on the messageboard on my homepage and I'll see what everyone thinks/wants..

16 players does sound nice though....!

Rich.

Justin Link

November 15, 2001, 01:56 PM

16 players at 1600x1200 resolution would be a great thing. On a 21" monitor there's no problem with that at all.

The game looks great, btw. I just downloaded it and am about to try it.

Dyna Mite

November 15, 2001, 01:58 PM

I dream of a 21" monitor!

no seriously.. I'll see what other people think as well.

Let me know what you think Justin!
cheers!

Spacebender

November 15, 2001, 02:03 PM

I loved your game, really. 256 color modes simply rocks ;)
Both the gameplay and the graphics is very nice and leaves little to complain about. Actually, I can't think of anything atm, but if I find any bugs, I'll report it at your homepage. Good work!

Jesse Chounard

November 15, 2001, 02:07 PM

I got a 21" Trinitron on ubid.com for under $300. You might have a look there and on ebay. You can really score some sweet deals.

Oh.. and nice screenshot.

Jesse

Dyna Mite

November 15, 2001, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately I can't afford a new monitor at the moment, especially with christmas presents to buy soon as well!

Thanks for the nice comment too, hope you enjoy my game..

Richard.

FireFoX

November 15, 2001, 02:09 PM

Bomberman rocks! A multi-player version (TCP/IP) would kick ass!
Looks very cool.

Dyna Mite

November 15, 2001, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the nice comments, I'm glad people like it. I'd like to develop the game further too, and your feedback helps my motivation!

Rich.

Wonko

November 15, 2001, 03:55 PM

I just love Bomberman ! The Screenshot looks nice, too.

I'm sorry to say that I'm not able to download the file
at the moment -> tripod sucks !

Anyways, thumbs up for a multiplayer version ... go for it !

Dyna Mite

November 15, 2001, 04:08 PM

Hmmmm.... Sorry you are not able to download from the page. I know Tripod 'sucks', but I am limited when it comes to free web housing.

If you really want the download.. mail me at dynamite_feedback@hotmail.com and ask for the windows or dos version and I'll send you it as an attachement..

Thanks, Rich.

Cristi Mihai

November 15, 2001, 04:11 PM

That's what I call fun!

Nice game!

You really need to add the network support.

I don't think it would be nice to play in a large resolution, or with a great number of players, but who knows.. I have to see it :))
If you coded it nice, it shouldn't be any problems to increase the resolution, or player count...

Keep up the nice work

Cristi Mihai

November 15, 2001, 04:14 PM

related to download, it's buggy..
It takes some time till it starts... but then works

Dyna Mite

November 15, 2001, 04:37 PM

No problem with increasing the resolution, just wondering about the framerate dropping on low-end machines forced to update a larger area. Sorry for the download problems, that's the free homepage server not me..

Glad people like it, I would like to add network support, but don't have any way to test it at the moment as I am not connected to a LAN network. Is the TCP/IP network via the internet?.. again I don't have any ideas about how to do that.. yet!

Thanks for all the different opinions, at least I have more of an idea of what people would like now!

Rich.

Steve 'Sly' Williams

November 15, 2001, 04:49 PM

Lower spec machines could still use 640x480 but scroll the large map that a 1600x1200 screen would require. Of course, this is only suitable for one player on that PC, so it would have to be combined with networked multiplayer so one player was each PC.

Dyna Mite

November 15, 2001, 04:57 PM

I can understand games like Quake etc.. being played ovber the internet with one person per PC. But I think games like bomberman lose something if played this way. I have great memories of playing 4 people around an Atari ST or Amiga and it was GREAT FUN. You wouldn't get all the spontaneous comments and social interaction for this kind of game if you weren't playing it in a room with other people. Or am I revealing my nostalgic gameplaying past? ;)

What about 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768 with dirty rectangle blitting or video bitmap switching? At the moment I use double buffering for the 640 x 480 lower resolution..

I've had one person say that it doesn't work on his "Ath1200/512Mb/ GF3(!) with DX8.1 installed." Has anyone else had any trouble? Does it work with DirectX8.1 on your pc?

Thanks
Rich.

hitman

November 16, 2001, 01:20 AM

Totally. I Remember playing my old Apple IIGS games the same way, huddled around a tiny keyboard with all my friends. Kinda like a LAN Party but not really. Nevermind.

pete5235235

November 16, 2001, 03:16 AM

Take a look here:

It's a bomberman clone called dynAMIte. It's freeware, you can play it through the internet, it supports skins, it has a level editor, and it works on AmigaOS :)

AMiGA rulez! :-)

Wonko

November 16, 2001, 05:36 AM

>> AMiGA rulez! :-)

Yeah ! I miss my old Amiga 1000 =)

Stefan Karlsson

November 16, 2001, 07:07 AM

you never had a real amiga?

ZaCO

November 16, 2001, 07:35 AM

I have had Amiga 500 !! =D

Wonko

November 16, 2001, 08:33 AM

I beg your pardon ?!

The first Amiga-Model is not the real thing ?
Well, I disagree on that, though I really regret
never having owned an Amiga 3000/4000.

Another thing I miss is messing around with my
good old SEKA-Assembler *sniff*

Steve Streeting

November 16, 2001, 08:41 AM

I agree 100%. It would be like playing track-and-field type games over a network - it's just not as much fun unless you have everyone in the same room, yelling and screaming at each other.

Don't listen to the people insisting on LAN support, you've got it right. Consoles shouldn't have a monopoly on social games.

Andreas Magnusson

November 16, 2001, 09:15 AM

Nah, DevPac was (is?) king! Oooh, now I'm shaking, I really got to get hold of an AMIGA with DevPac before the longing kills me...

razorbrain

November 16, 2001, 10:23 AM

damn... there was a game called Atomic Bomberman, networked version 4 - 16 players... we use to spend entire days at the office playing it on the lan... awesomely simple yet great game... love it...

ldr