Submitted by Mattias Widmark, posted on November 11, 2001

Image Description, by Mattias Widmark

These real-time images are taken from the Blueberry3D terrain visualisation toolkit. We are currently expanding Blueberry3D to a game engine, and it already contains a host of exciting features:
  • All terrain geometry is procedural (True dynamic detail adjustment to keep constant FPS)
  • Better computer or lower FPS yields more detail.
  • Procedural geometry includes
  • Bushes, trees and other vegetation
  • Roads (splines, adopts surrounding terrain for seamless integration, even in very uneven surroundings)
  • Rivers, water streams
  • Fences, walls
  • Layered ground (dirt, mud, rock, grass etc)
  • OpenGL and DirectX 8 support
  • Complete editor with support for many formats (including DEM, 3DS, PNG, JPEG and Shape)
  • Scriptable physics engine
  • Scriptable entity system
  • Advanced weather effects (Wind, rain, snow, lightning etc)
  • Volumetric shadows and light (flashlights, headlights etc)
  • Environmental effects (water reflections, sun haze, volumetric fog etc)
  • Sound
  • Car racing game in developement, available fourth quarter 2002.
  • This game is a totally new approach to driving games; wait and see...

More information at: www.blueberry3d.com

Kanda

November 11, 2001, 04:28 PM

Nice...! But what about FPS ? runs only on strong GPU ?

nosfy

November 11, 2001, 04:35 PM

What can I say, except that it looks really nice? : )

Liquidex

November 11, 2001, 04:36 PM

Hey very nice! The panoramic shot almost reminds me of Lake Tahoe. :D

Are the two close-up shots from the same environment as the panned-out shot on the bottom? In other words, can you go from very close individual areas to panned out views without switching models or scenes? I'd assume it's a nice LOD system.

Looks great, it's good to see engines focused on such huge areas (I'm sick of corridors, heh)

--Liq

meZmo

November 11, 2001, 05:14 PM

Looks great!!

FireFoX

November 11, 2001, 05:18 PM

Upper left picture's title: "A beautiful morning at Trinity".

Or am I the only one with that much imagination?

Looks nice!

David Olsson

November 11, 2001, 05:41 PM

Looks really nice.

I have followed blueberry from (what I think) was the very first screenshots posted on the net until now I definatly see some progress here. I even tried the demo you posted a while ago. The reason I found your page was back when I was really interrested in fractal plant generation.
    I'm looking forward to see further progress from your team, it's always nice to see fine swedish coding.

Keep up the good work,

/David (avancerad datornörd)

Fabian Giesen

November 11, 2001, 05:49 PM

Congratulations for being one of the first terrain engines I see whose trees don't look like cheap painted wood shapes :) (Billboards suck for this)

Timothy Barnes

November 11, 2001, 06:55 PM

That can't be realtime...

afk

November 11, 2001, 07:06 PM

Sexy!

Is that measured in FPS or SPF? :-D

dan_g

November 11, 2001, 07:07 PM

lol

dan_g

November 11, 2001, 07:07 PM

. . .

*falls down*

iNsaNEiVaN

November 11, 2001, 07:08 PM

Yeah theres no way. Maybe in 2 years though.

SodoMaxx

November 11, 2001, 07:26 PM

Darn, this looks great.

Though I got a thousand questions regarding your product I restrict
    myself to two:
    Do you use a CLOD technique or do you morph between terrain tiles
    which have a discrete level of detail?
    Is Blueberry3D able to setup spherical terrain (i.e. whole planets)?

Going to erase my terrain project now...

disableddan

November 11, 2001, 08:04 PM

Look at all them trees! Nice work guys! Good luck with your game!

Khrob

November 11, 2001, 08:39 PM

They've got 2 styles of rendering - real time and high visual quality (which can take up to 4 hours I think the page says)

Since it's all fractal based, they can generate it down to as much or as little detail as they like, thus keeping it possible for realtime framerates.

zed zeek

November 12, 2001, 01:05 AM

hehe nice to see, this is exactlly what ive been working on at the moment, fractal/grammar based trees + rocks (well that and the dreaded physics ;).
    though your stuff looks a lot better.
    Q do u animate the leaves or are they stationary?
    ive been working on this but havent come up with a quick way that looks good.
    see the last shot here (realtime on a non hardware t+l card)

The Ironduke

November 12, 2001, 01:22 AM

man you must be rolling in cash, an engine that looks this good would surely cost between 10,000 and 100,000 dollars?

Mystic

November 12, 2001, 01:38 AM

"These real-time images are taken from the Blueberry3D terrain visualisation toolkit..."

On his site he has both Realtime and non-RTRendering, and these shots are from the realtime genre...

NinjaCross

November 12, 2001, 03:08 AM

Really amazing !!
    I really like the vegetation :)

NinjaCross
    www.ninjacross.it

Kippesoep

November 12, 2001, 04:26 AM

Looks like a lovely morning indeed with a warm breeze and temperatures of up to 4500 degrees!

Rasmus Christian Kaae

November 12, 2001, 05:31 AM

Stop using geocities.com for screenshots, the page is currently unavailable because overuse or something!

L.e.Denninger

November 12, 2001, 05:53 AM

Wow, computer-generated "Bob Ross"-paintings! :)

Codeman

November 12, 2001, 06:17 AM

who needs the "great outdoors?" :)

-- Codeman

Mattias Widmark

November 12, 2001, 08:06 AM

Thanks for all nice comments! I will try to answer your questions below.

About FPS: The screenshots are taken with an 1.4GHz Athlon with GeForce3 and 256MB DDR SDRAM at 20 FPS. Since the whole terrain is procedural, just set your desired frame rate and Blueberry3D will create an appropriate amount of detail to meet your setting. We are very content with this feature!

About LOD: We have incorporated a very ambitious LOD scheme into Blueberry3D. You can actually move seamlessly from an altitude of say 10km down into the bushes. And each bush is uniquely modelled down to leaf level.

About animation: All geometry down to single leaves can be animated to create realistic wind effects. The wind is dynamic, and is affected by for instance helicopter rotors!

/Mattias Widmark, Blueberry3D.com

SodoMaxx

November 12, 2001, 08:31 AM

Didn't want to buy it. I just realized that the look of my engine ranks around the 1$ level.

Mr Pink

November 12, 2001, 08:46 AM

Nice!! Very nice!

It's great to see some landscapes back on the iotd, I'm not really into landscape rendering myself but I love to see what can be done. I love to let my mind run loose dreaming of the rpg and rts moments possible with this kind of visual quality.

I'm in the progress of dl:ing the last three realtime animations from your site.. .just a moment nr 4 is done.. .a bit static sine like movement on that first tree, but the textureing made up for it.

Keep up the good work, and keep posting iotd:s!!

phk

November 12, 2001, 09:42 AM

I've been wanting to ray trace scenes like these. Any chance of getting some static, non-proceedural geometry? Lots of it...
    Very nice.

Paul
    phkahler@worldnet.att.net

geekster

November 12, 2001, 09:46 AM

Looks stunning.
    A feature I think would be cool for your racing game would be being able to render replays in maximum details and save it to a file (even if each frame took 4 hours :). A feature I've been thinking about for my game... but my engine sucks.

Khrob

November 12, 2001, 10:34 AM

Is your sky procedurally generated too?

MrDevlin

November 12, 2001, 11:05 AM

really cool engine

how are those trees in the background drawn, as single points??
    It goes a bit slow if you draw such amounts of trees as sprites or models, even if they're just one pixel.