Submitted by Nick McVeity, posted on November 09, 2001

Image Description, by Nick McVeity

This is a collection of screenshots from my 3d graphics engine, called mercury. I created it for a games programming subject at my school, the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology. Essentially, it is a quake3 level viewer that implements nearly all of the graphical features implemented in the real quake3 engine. This includes:
  • PVS optimised BSP rendering
  • Volumetric fog
  • Curved surfaces
  • Extensive shader support
  • In fact, all it doesn't include is dynamic lighting and a few of the fancier shader operations (that is, the skyparms and deformverts).

The rendering code is only moderatly optimized because I consider this project one which will continually evolve (and trying to extend highly optimized code is hard). Even so, the engine performs well on most modern multitexture capable accelerators including my own "low end" 400Mhz K6, Nvidia Vanta equipped PC. There is a demo available on my website which you can download and run provided you have a copy of Quake3. At the moment there is only a windows version for download, however, there will be a linux demo available soon (most of the project was developed using linux!). More information, plus full size screenshots are available at the above site.

Oh yeah, I graduate soon and am looking for work as a programmer. I live in Melbourne, Australia, but would consider relocating (especially to Mesquite, TX :) )

Have fun.

=[Scarab]=

November 10, 2001, 05:28 PM

Ah that explains it. Thanks.

oisyn

November 10, 2001, 06:58 PM

very nicely done!

But i must say these shots look more gloomy than when i play Q3A... In Q3A it justs looks more colorful, but that may be because i play Q3A with a pretty high gamma setting...

But other than that, i'm impressed! Keep up the good work!

Nick McVeity

November 11, 2001, 12:26 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I presume that the demo is running on other peoples machines which is good news!

Yes the scenes are mirrored :) for anyone who plays lots of quake3, it is painfully obvious :P

About the fog, i did use a combination of fog mapping and vertex fogging (vertex for curves and meshes, fog maps for normal polygons).. but there were problems with fog mapping which made the edges of the fog look *hard*. I am currently removing the fog mapping and just tesselating the polygons in the fog volume because it looks much cooler.

Speaking of looking cool, I was lucky enough to be in Melbourne last night where Todd Hollensead (id software) showed single player Return to Castle Wolfenstien, apparantly for the first time in the world! A most impressive game.

Anyway, have fun.

The Legend

November 11, 2001, 04:52 AM

Colorful? Q3A? For me Q3A is mostly red, brown and gray with lighting. No blue or green for example.

The Legend

The Legend

November 11, 2001, 04:57 AM

Extracting the pak files ... Luckily I have a 60 GB hard disk ...

The Legend

The Legend

November 11, 2001, 05:04 AM

It doesn't work on my machine. It crashes somewhere in glu32.dll.

I have a TB 1,333 GHz with 256 MB RAM and a Geforce 2 GTS Pro.

The Legend

Coriolis

November 11, 2001, 02:03 PM

They showed off some singleplayer wolfenstein at E3 in 2000, over a year and a half ago. I saw singleplayer wolfenstein at qcon 2000, E3 2001, and qcon 2001. It may be the first time that particular mission was shown, but single player wolfenstein was first shown ages ago.

skynet

November 11, 2001, 02:19 PM

It starts, you can see the console but then - nothing. You canīt type anything, the mouse is blocked (which makes it hard to kill it :-).

Iīm using w2k maybe thatīs the reason...

Christl Timon

November 11, 2001, 02:50 PM

Q3A uses a modified gamma ramp to get some overbright colors. This improves the visual quality of dynamic lighting effects, but reduces color resolution. You notice that the gamma has been modified when q3a crashes and gets you back to windows desktop without resetting video mode. Your desktop is very bright then.

Nick McVeity

November 11, 2001, 06:06 PM

Yeah, I was a little sceptical when they first called it a "world exclusive", but I think that they meant that its the first time its been shown since its been finished.

Nick McVeity

November 11, 2001, 06:14 PM

I have seen this before, but cannot get it to happen on my machine. I believe if you change the texture scaling configuration variables around it will go away. Also try disabling mipmapping, because it is either crashing in gluScaleImage() or gluBuildMipmaps().

abdulla

November 12, 2001, 03:31 AM

Melbourne's better than RMIT, hehe, have fun best of luck, plus it looks cool, just to let you know!

PlayfulPuppy

November 13, 2001, 08:15 AM

Hey, did you go to AGDC? I was the tall guy with the black trenchcoat and black hair. :)

Boomski

November 14, 2001, 08:56 PM

Christl,

Any idea how the modified gamma works??