Submitted by Joe Bertolami, posted on November 07, 2001

Image Description, by Joe Bertolami

This image is a composite of several screenshots taken from my 'Project X' 3D engine. The upper left screenshot shows my radiosity renderer, which is currently aimed towards bringing radiosity quality imaging to realtime environments by progressively degrading the quality until a suitable fps is found (on-the-fly). The upper right screenshot shows off the engine's terrain system wrapped with a skydome. Eventually this system will be aimed towards being immersive as possible for the gamer. The center image is simply the volumetric fog effect in the engine. The lower left image shows the shadowing system, accomplished through a combination of static/dynamic lightmapping, per-pixel lighting, projective texturing, and stencilled shadows. The image to the lower right shows off the particle engine, which makes use of the physics engine, and the reflection system which can be used to set the reflectivity of any object without the extra overhead normally created by using a stencil buffer to accomplish the same effect.

Thats about it for the description, my website is at www.bertolami.com/x, I hope you like it! :)

Olio

November 07, 2001, 02:14 PM

Nice.

Aurora

November 07, 2001, 02:23 PM

OK, I'll be the first to ask. How did you do the clouds in the upp right image or is it just a texture map. And give some details on your radiosity work if you can.
Now, for the envy.
DAMN that looks good. The fog has a little to much delineation on its boundry for my taste but I can't really get a good feel for the color bleeding of your radiosity. But its all still very nice. Good Job.

Dr.Mosh

November 07, 2001, 02:44 PM

Once again, READ THE TEXT BELOW THE PICTURE!!!

"How did you do the clouds in the upp right image or is it just a texture map" -> "The upper right screenshot shows off the engine's terrain system wrapped with a skydome"

zed zeek

November 07, 2001, 02:57 PM

hey u forgot a flare in the top right screenshot :)
the soft shadows look very nice, but i do feel perhaps so many shadow paths is inviting cockups. how about a unified realtime softshadow generation sceme. shouldnt be to difficult aye? ;)
nice one it definitly has potentual mate.

Slythic

November 07, 2001, 03:00 PM

Not sure, but he might actually be asking how he did the cloud texture.

Slade

November 07, 2001, 03:03 PM

Well done

Dr.Mosh

November 07, 2001, 03:05 PM

OMG! READ THE TEXT!

he asks "How did you do the clouds in the upp right image or is it just a texture map"!!!! :))))

lxnyce

November 07, 2001, 03:08 PM

OMG, ROFL.

EvilOne

November 07, 2001, 03:19 PM

Combinations of several cool techniques make a real good engine. One of the most interessting IOTDs over the last few weeks imho. Can you tell a bit more about the combination of the shadow algorithms you use and how the radiosity renderer work?

Hakuna Matata,
EvilOne

Ron Frazier

November 07, 2001, 03:23 PM

Something looks strange about the shadows in the lower left picture. The shadow from that post doesnt looks like it originates from the post, but offset from it. Unless that post is supposed to be floating in the air, and its just an illusion.

Ready4Dis

November 07, 2001, 03:28 PM

It does appear to be floating in the air. Very nice work BTW, should be really cool since it can scale with hardware... it can do quality that you won't be able to see for a long time :D

Billy

Punchey

November 07, 2001, 03:39 PM

I'm interested in the reflectance method used here!

Getto

November 07, 2001, 03:47 PM

Looks nice. I would like to know how the volumetric fog is done. Is the objects in the middle picture highly tesselated and then fog intensity is computed for each vertex, or can it be done without tessalating?

FireFoX

November 07, 2001, 05:30 PM

Those particles look really neat! Like some magic effect or something.

Aurora

November 07, 2001, 06:52 PM

Dr. Mosh,
Sorry for the confusion. I did read and knew that he was using a skydome. I just did not ask the question the way I was thinking about it. What I want to know was the skydome created using a normal image/texture map or was the image for the dome procedurally made. I have been working on using a shader language to create the image and then using that as the texture for the skydome. This allows me to create animated skydomes. Naturally since I'm using a shader language it does not run in real time very well, OK not at all right now, but then that currently is not my full aim as of yet.

As for the radiosity I am assuming he is using progressive refinement radiosity methods as he states but would like some details.

Again sorry for my poor communication ealier.

Dr.Mosh

November 07, 2001, 07:31 PM

Hey don't apologise!!!
It's not as if I ran around the house in an angry huff screaming "HE DIDN'T READ THE POST PROPERLY! KL:3gryjAJSGHasd3D *smash*"

I thought it was funny! :)

oisyn

November 07, 2001, 08:30 PM

but what if you were some sort of psycho who just murdered his whole neighbourhood with a screwdriver just because "he didn't read the message"

you never know... ;)

Waramp

November 07, 2001, 09:19 PM

There are many good ways to do Volumetric Fog. One good way I have found is to create the fog volume using any convex hull, then when you render it, use a modified version of Ron Fraziers per pixel attenuation to render the volume. It looks great (imho) and you can do animated fog just by moving the vertices of the volume around.

Hemp

November 07, 2001, 09:49 PM

Chill out.

It looks like a bitmap generated from Terragen.

If he did generate those clouds himself, he would have
boasted it in his post.

DirtyPunk

November 07, 2001, 10:48 PM

The radiosity stuff sounds like he is pre-calculating radiosity with some sort of subdivision scheme, then at runtime, collapsing back until he gets the right amount of triangles to render in realtime, while keeping the high quality shadows (ie, he has an error metric, where more collapsing is performed on less light complex areas).

But that is just my guess at what he is doing.

Kezza

November 07, 2001, 11:55 PM

How many project x's are there these days!?
Forsaken was called project x for most of its development, i was working on a game which i called project x as well! Must just be a name too cool to resist.

Anyway, i've always been a big fan of volume fog. This is really nice

Getto

November 08, 2001, 02:10 AM

Waramp,

I looked at Ron Fraziers demo and it looked very nice though it ran pretty slow on my gf256. Would you care to explain how to use his method for applying fog to a scene. I assume that the distance from the start of fog to the object must be calculated, but i have no clue on how to do this. Also, is the method you mention the way to go, or does there exist other non per-pixel methods?

NinjaCross

November 08, 2001, 03:01 AM

I like very much the skydome in the screen shoot ot the up-right corner :)

NinjaCross
www.ninjacross.it

L.e.Denninger

November 08, 2001, 04:07 AM

People who don't read the IOTD-text and ask dumb questions should be caught and shot, period.

klaudius

November 08, 2001, 06:00 AM

No Kezza, you're wrong. I've got a project Y and i'm working on project H !!!! ;-) Terragen is a good skydome generator

Spacebender

November 08, 2001, 06:14 AM

Though, remember the old rule: "There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers".

*cough* :)

Martijn Stoffels

November 08, 2001, 09:54 AM

I know the clouds. They are in the sky over my house, I can see them from my window. How did you photograph them? Were you in my house?

Shplorb

November 08, 2001, 10:01 AM

Also remember that 99% of people are idiots.

FireFoX

November 08, 2001, 10:19 AM

He's the cat, and he is using your pc at night to code his engine.

Punchey

November 08, 2001, 11:03 AM

Sir, I must say, your sense of humor is excelent!