Submitted by Lon Flickinger, posted on November 03, 2001

Image Description, by Lon Flickinger

This is a screenshot from a FPS game I'm developing called Pencil Whipped. I thought this angle looked really nice showing all the detail of the environment as a backdrop behind the enemies. This is from a level called "The Temple Of King MugaFuga" and the game is completely hand drawn giving the impression of experiencing a completely pencil on paper drawn world. Each level in the game has its own theme and characters so the player never knows whats coming next. the website is here www.chiselbrain.com

Lon Flickinger

NeoKenobi

November 03, 2001, 02:14 PM

The engine sure looks great!

The figures in the pic are looking a bit like jawa's from star wars...

.-wXm-.

November 03, 2001, 02:17 PM

humm.. strange but cool.. change the color and font on the health and ammo . it would look better with a kind of pencil font .. :)..

Timothy Barnes

November 03, 2001, 02:28 PM

You should try to use cartoon shaders. It looks too 3D. Other than that it looks cool.

ReAL

November 03, 2001, 02:48 PM

really cool!! Like it very much :)

David Olsson

November 03, 2001, 03:32 PM

Way cool, absolutly love it.

cone3d

November 03, 2001, 03:50 PM

nice!

Liquidex

November 03, 2001, 03:56 PM

Very unique idea. It all looks convincing except for that quad with the teethy smiley face on it; the texels are so filtered that it kills the penci look.

Aside from that, keep it up.

=[Scarab]=

November 03, 2001, 04:09 PM

Pencil art kicks ass. 3D kicks ass. 3D pencil art is waay beyond 'kick ass'. :)

noxa

November 03, 2001, 04:36 PM

Wow

first thing I thought when I saw this was 'Johny The Homicidal Maniac' :)
Very good style - even though its clearly fake, it seems as though the world could be immersive.
Only thing I would recommend is a bit of texture variation on the walls - nothing big - depending on your knowledge, you could always write a shader language and 'draw' wall textures and things of that sort randomly to create a true 'penciled' look.

JuggernauT

November 03, 2001, 04:41 PM

Looks cool!

Kinda like that mod that is available to quake, "sketchy quake" or something like that.

337

November 03, 2001, 04:45 PM

Your game has a very unique style that is lacking in 99% of the games out there. I have a bit of a difficult time playing however as everything kills me very quickly.

nosfy

November 03, 2001, 04:51 PM

I think the quake mod you are referring to simulates the hand drawing in real-time. This game only uses hand drawn texture.

Da Wolf

November 03, 2001, 04:52 PM

Interesting idea!! good job on originality..
tell us about the engine, BSP? and are you planning to make all the characters billboards or are you thinking about using a non-realistic rendering for 3D models.

Lon

November 03, 2001, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the compliments. The game is very hard for sure. I'm probably going to ease things up a bit in my next version. Pencil Whipped is currently competing in the Independent Games Festival. I have the chance to submit another version in December, everyone in the competition has this opportunity. Right now I am replacing all the current static sprite enemies with actual 3d models that simulate animated cut-out cardboard drawings. So far its looking excellent. Here is an avi download of one of the animations if your interested in seeing what it will look like. http://www.maxminn.com/chiselhead/benwalk.zip
And it does look exactly like that in game. It really adds allot. The engine I'm using for this project is the GCS from Pie In The Sky software. www.pieskysoft.org

Thanks again
Lon

maddoc

November 03, 2001, 06:48 PM

Very impressive idea!
Really something new!
The idea is great! I love it.

BigCarlito

November 03, 2001, 07:17 PM

Alright! Fellow Minnesotan, I see. Woohoo!
Looks sweet, good luck!

ZEN

November 03, 2001, 07:25 PM

all the graphics and most of the data is done well. the gameplay and sound deffects are very lacking.

i understand how difficult it is to do a game solo and it is monumental just to get something done. (just ask 95% of the engine coders on flipcode who never finish anything) so i applaud you on getting it done and playable.

this is just some constructive critism in case you wanted to improve what you have. i would start with the gameplay, then work on the sound effects. good job...

Tristan

November 03, 2001, 07:28 PM

downloading now.... but from the screenshots it looks sweet :o)

_Venom

November 03, 2001, 08:30 PM

Hola,
Just some constructive feedback... I tried the demo. The graphics look great and it runs pretty fast on my P2-450 :) The mouse sensitivity needs a higher speed, I had it on max and I could barely turn around fast enough to frag those paper monsters heh. Also, it would be nice if the weapons were picked up automatically as soon as you walk over them. Otherwise, keep up the good work :)

Mattman

November 03, 2001, 09:54 PM

Wow, nice game. I actually jumped in my seat when the spikes came up from under me and pinned me against the ceiling. Excellent work.

Lon

November 03, 2001, 10:30 PM

The mouse control can be much tighter. Go into the options pull down menu and goto controls and choose mouse. In that sub menu turn on "variable turn rate" She'll turn nice and quick then.

Lon

afk

November 03, 2001, 11:08 PM

That does look sweet.

I'm gonna have to reinstall Virtual PC so I can play with that :-)

lycium

November 04, 2001, 03:12 AM

a very interesting way to circumvent coder art :) well, partially, the levels still have to be modeled...

in any case, cool! it's nice to see original things being implemnted on 3d cards.

AtheistGod

November 04, 2001, 07:16 AM

I just though I'd point this out.

If I'm not mistaken, the block with the face is out of Mario 64.

absurd

November 04, 2001, 11:42 AM

nice idea...

I downloaded your game... really spooky... escpecially the sound effects (really creepy) and traps that you can't notice before you walk on them. Also your art looks really scary :)

And now to the negative part:

Keybinding menu sucks. It was really pain to customize controls because the list box reseted every time a key was bind.
Gameplay sucks. It feels like playing a fps game in the internet with a ping of 500 or something like that... Yeah the sounds are really spooky but... ummm perhaps you shouldn't do all of them with your mouth. Then those enemies (I think they are kind of worms) that rise from the floor. They die if you shoot at them even if they still are inside the floor.

I felt like I was in horrible cartoon nigthmare controlled by a mad man making the sounds with his evil mouth :)

JaegerNCSU

November 04, 2001, 01:16 PM

Guys, that game was created with a 3D Game Creation Toolkit -- *no* programming required. http://www.pieskysoft.org/

There are links to it all over his web site.

ki young moon

November 04, 2001, 02:45 PM

I can little english! : )

one year ago,i see of your game in 3dfiles.com
nice idea!!! Excellent work! :-]

ki young moon

November 04, 2001, 02:49 PM

^_^
see -> saw

_Venom

November 04, 2001, 04:14 PM

Actually, I did have the variable turn rate on. The main challenge was that I had to *really* whip the mouse around super fast for the view to move. I'm so used to the Q2, and UT mouse sensitivity settings that it felt like a significant slowdown. I look forward to seeing how the project turns out though :)

goltrpoat

November 04, 2001, 05:04 PM

Throw the poor guy to the wolves, why don't you :)