Submitted by Pierre Saunier, posted on October 26, 2001

Image Description, by Pierre Saunier

This is an image showing ppModeler in action. The modeled head is done with subdivision surface, and symetric object, two of the new features of the program. A version for windows, BeOs Intel, and Linux can be found here.

I'm intrested in hearing back from you, in order to improve ppModeler.

Jeff Quesnelle

October 26, 2001, 06:31 PM

Nice multi-platform support!

dan_g

October 26, 2001, 07:02 PM

teehee!

David Olsson

October 26, 2001, 07:56 PM

Is it freeware ? What output file format does it support ?

disableddan

October 26, 2001, 08:58 PM

Looks impressive! And what do you know? It just finished downloading! Time to take it for a spin!

luther2k

October 26, 2001, 09:16 PM

Hi,
Nice modeller but the interface flickers quite a lot and you seem to be redrawing stuff more often than you need to. Try caching previously drawn stuff into an image buffer and only show the changes; this is a really important point in a modelling program as things can get arbitarily complicated very quickly.

Tim.

Timothy Barnes

October 27, 2001, 02:56 AM

nice.

Anders Haglund

October 27, 2001, 08:05 AM

Looks great! Nice to see that it got POV-Ray output support too!

Nai Tandu

October 27, 2001, 09:28 AM

very nice. does it support plugins, so that everyone can code is own file-output-plugs??? which file-formats does it support?

CyberVenom

October 27, 2001, 01:53 PM

POV-Ray rulez!

It would be nice to have support for POV-Ray Bezier patches and primatives - primatives look so much nicer than polys in ray-tracing.
(if there is support for POV primitives already take this as a complement - I am downloading it to try it out right now.)

-CyberVenom

disableddan

October 27, 2001, 04:37 PM

Tried it out yesterday- it's great, and I especially like the way that right clicking on a button tells you what it does. Comes in handy! I had problems properly positioning the camera for the renders, and I had some problems with objects being visible through other objects, but other than that it was very straightforward! Nice work!

Hiro Protagonist

October 28, 2001, 02:47 AM

Nice. Do you have plans for a .3ds export? I would like a .x file export as well, but can generate them easily if I had a .3ds export.
Nice work.

Hiro Protagonist

October 28, 2001, 03:11 AM

Ok just spent a few minutes playing with it, and a few suggestions:

1) Change the cursor to something more significant dependant on its location, or current purpose.

2)Your animation window does not close when I close the application. It should.

3)Your material editor doesnt seem to work. I cannot select colors when I press the diffuse/specular/ambient buttons.

4) Need a zoom in/out function. I cant seem to find one. Very important.

NinjaCross

October 28, 2001, 01:31 PM

Hey ! Nice interface and very usefull program !
I'll use it to build the models of my first-person shooter game !

NinjaCross