Submitted by Ferry Marcellis, posted on October 25, 2001

Image Description, by Ferry Marcellis

I am Ferry Marcellis Lead Programmer of Quest3D and I created this picture with Quest3D. It is a screenshot of a screensaver that is also available for download. The image uses a model exported from 3dsmax that I loaded in the lightwave 5.6 modeler. There I remodeled most of the car so that it was a little more useable for real-time work. I removed non visible surfaces and made sure that surfaces that have a lot of polygons where remodeled completely. In this way I managed to reduce the main car from 65000 polygons to 44000 polygons. Then I created a reflection version of the model that is completly striped from anything that is not visible in the reflection. The reflection model is 16000 polygons. Then I used Quest3D to load the reduced models texture them and created the spline based camera movement. There are two point lights in the scene. With code to detect mouse collision over an object the menus where created. A particle engine is used for the little flame. The 3d menus control the light and color settings of the car and together you have a sportscar screensaver. The car reflection is created using the D3DXMatrixReflect function of dx8. The sports cars main body has a two textures one texture that is white and uses an alpha channel to show the basic car color. The other texture is a picture of a lake which also uses an alpha image to be a little less visible. In this way the diffuse color of the car can still be used instead of using a texture for the color of the car.

Hope you like the pic and the screensaver. The screensaver can be downloaded from the www.quest3d.com site. Since the whole scene is about 65000 polygons a ht&l accelerator is recommended.

Thnx,

Ferry Marcellis
Act-3D/Quest3D

Willem

October 26, 2001, 06:29 AM

"Remodeling an object will always give better results then straight import of a non-realtime object and automatic polygon reduction"

That's true. But that wasn't exactly my point. My point was that a programmer should be coding instead of manipulating art ;)
No offence ofcourse, just a little suggestion you might find worth considering. Or not :)

Quest3D

October 26, 2001, 06:35 AM

Modeling and using 3d tools gives great insight into many programming concepts =)

But I stay far away from trying to create anything artistic. Modeling is just something that I could do before I started programming and I must say has helped me many times.

=[Scarab]=

October 26, 2001, 06:39 AM

That looks so friggin' nice, it's scary. :)

s.t.i

October 26, 2001, 06:49 AM

Is it possible to get a hold of that simplified MAX car model perhaps?

cool demo anyways :)
/Fredrik

NinjaCross

October 26, 2001, 07:17 AM

I use Win2000, and i'm working @ 1024x768 24 bpp.
DirectX 8.0 are correctly installed
Hope this help.

Quest3D

October 26, 2001, 07:44 AM

Can you maybe try if it works when you use 32 bpp resolution?

Slick

October 26, 2001, 10:18 AM

Looks very nice!
It doesn't run too well on my dual monitor setup though.. It spreads across two screens and the framerate goes down a lot, because the second video card is a crappy one.
Keep up the good work!

Nick

Mathieu 'POĻ' HENRI

October 26, 2001, 10:44 AM

Well, that's some really good job,

I wonder how much it would cost for a company to buy your tools and plugins to make some online/offline applications, is there any restriction on the numbers of visits / clients ...

POI

Quest3D

October 26, 2001, 12:16 PM

Quest3D costs $249 and after that you can make as many games/screensavers/winamp plugins as you like. There will be a free SDK if you wish to add functionality to your own project that is not currently in Quest3D. You can read more about it on the Quest3D.com website.

Dannt

October 26, 2001, 12:34 PM

Sweet

Mattman

October 26, 2001, 01:02 PM

I had the same problem...
Pentium III, 800 MHz, 128 MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 256

Lars Birkemose

October 26, 2001, 03:22 PM

I noticed something strange...
Framerate doesnt seem to slow when I apply FSAA. This could indicate that the thing could actually run at higher FPS than it does !!!!
CPU limited that is !!
And...
Add FSAA as an option... the screensaver looks 10 timer better at 2xFSAA, and I bet many of us has FSAA on "let the app control it"...

Real cool saver tho...

Lars Birkemose

October 26, 2001, 03:31 PM

And..
While Im at it :)
Get rid of the lampposts... the car is the main attraction here..

Im nitpicking, I know...

Politik

October 26, 2001, 03:32 PM

As per advice, I looked to see if AGP Texturing is enabled. Unfortunately I dont know where that setting is. Can anyone tell me?

iMalc

October 26, 2001, 03:32 PM

Mind if I drive?

Ezra

October 26, 2001, 05:17 PM

Bring up a run window and type 'dxdiag'. The display tab has a button for Enabling/Disabling AGP Texture Acceleration, which will often be disabled if you have a VIA chipset but no drivers for it on your mobo. You can usually download those easily from the mobo maker's website.

-Ez

no way

October 26, 2001, 07:10 PM

its a Viper TT800 right ?
Well my Camaro still looks better ;)

Politik

October 26, 2001, 08:51 PM

Ok, AGP texturing was/is turned on.

My Geforce has 32mb of ddr ram, not sure whats going on with this texture swap thing.

Matt

October 29, 2001, 11:27 AM

NVidia used to have a program (called AGPmem.exe) on their site that told you how much AGP mem you had. I had old motherboard drivers and it told me I had 0 AGP mem (even though AGP seemed to be enabled everywhere).

I can E-mail it to you I guess if you can't find it on their site.... (It's 957Kb)