Submitted by Ferry Marcellis, posted on October 25, 2001

Image Description, by Ferry Marcellis

I am Ferry Marcellis Lead Programmer of Quest3D and I created this picture with Quest3D. It is a screenshot of a screensaver that is also available for download. The image uses a model exported from 3dsmax that I loaded in the lightwave 5.6 modeler. There I remodeled most of the car so that it was a little more useable for real-time work. I removed non visible surfaces and made sure that surfaces that have a lot of polygons where remodeled completely. In this way I managed to reduce the main car from 65000 polygons to 44000 polygons. Then I created a reflection version of the model that is completly striped from anything that is not visible in the reflection. The reflection model is 16000 polygons. Then I used Quest3D to load the reduced models texture them and created the spline based camera movement. There are two point lights in the scene. With code to detect mouse collision over an object the menus where created. A particle engine is used for the little flame. The 3d menus control the light and color settings of the car and together you have a sportscar screensaver. The car reflection is created using the D3DXMatrixReflect function of dx8. The sports cars main body has a two textures one texture that is white and uses an alpha channel to show the basic car color. The other texture is a picture of a lake which also uses an alpha image to be a little less visible. In this way the diffuse color of the car can still be used instead of using a texture for the color of the car.

Hope you like the pic and the screensaver. The screensaver can be downloaded from the www.quest3d.com site. Since the whole scene is about 65000 polygons a ht&l accelerator is recommended.

Thnx,

Ferry Marcellis
Act-3D/Quest3D

Jeff Olson

October 25, 2001, 03:47 PM

wow =x

Kippesoep

October 25, 2001, 03:55 PM

Eeep!

Rectilinear Cat

October 25, 2001, 03:57 PM

Beautiful pic. It seems kind of strange that you mnually create the reflection mesh yourself, rather than computing it. Are you using lightmaps or vertex lighting for the highlights on the car?

Ezra

October 25, 2001, 04:10 PM

Wowzers, very nice.

I like the demo, it's very clean and runs well on my GF3. The only thing I noticed is that the reflection model does not include the roof, so when the camera swoops down low you can notice that the reflection is not the same model as the car. In any case, I really like what you did with the textures, colors, camera, lights, etc., though the tiki-torch style particle systems are a little hokey.

-Ez

thec

October 25, 2001, 04:10 PM

RAGGARBIL!

Extremely cool car :-) Nice rendering too... what can you say? There isn't really much to add...

Nice work!

thec

Politik

October 25, 2001, 04:26 PM

When I run the screensaver, the camera motion will be perfectly smooth for between 1-3 seconds, and then the camera will jerk a little, and things will be smooth again. Could this be LOD or something being recalculated? When it IS smooth, its so smooth that I'm pretty sure it could run that way continuously, if it wasnt being interrupted by something.

Processor: 800mhz amd tbird
Video: Geforce 2 GTS
RAM: 512mb

n1c_V

October 25, 2001, 05:07 PM

Looks interesting. I think you could do better:)

Joshua A. Winn (JAW)

October 25, 2001, 05:10 PM

Sweet looking car model! =)

Daan Nusman

October 25, 2001, 05:23 PM

Probably Windows. Windows sometimes does some disk caching or something a few seconds into an application

Da Wolf

Duuuuuude!

Waramp

October 25, 2001, 08:26 PM

What Does Mine Say?!

disableddan

October 25, 2001, 08:29 PM

Holy high poly counts batman!

Looks awesome!

Uthman

October 25, 2001, 08:59 PM

how are all of us 'weak' coaders supposed to compete with that!? ;)

[-WD40-]

October 25, 2001, 09:49 PM

Nice car indeed!

I noticed the shadows are quite interresting, are they generated each frame or are they only generated by a stretched static precalculated shadow map of some sort?

Politik

October 25, 2001, 10:03 PM

I meant to say that the jerking keeps happening as long as I run the screensaver

SirKnight

October 26, 2001, 12:45 AM

When i tried to run it i didnt see anything. I tried the viewer, loaded the viper and nothing. I tried the winamp plugin and told it to load the viper, nothing. I have a p3 600, 256mb ram, geforce 256 ddr w/ DetXP drivers, Windows XP Pro.

-SirKnight

CyberVenom

October 26, 2001, 02:30 AM

I came across that problem with my GeForce2 on an Athlon T-bird 850. Not with this particular demo (I gave my 850 + GF2 to my girlfriend), but in the past with the cinematic sequences in Deus Ex and Unreal Tournament. There seemed to be several things that helped:
(lowering the resolution did NOT help, BTW.)
When I installed the latest drivers from VIA for my PCI-to-AGP bridge in my motherboard, it got better, and when they came out with updates for UT & Deus Ex (Deus Ex uses the Unreal engine...) that fixed what they called "thrashing" on the GeForce, that helped too. It shouldn't have been disk speeds either, because I was using an ATA66 Quantum Fireball. I also upgraded to Direct X 8.0a. After all of the aforementioned fixes, the cinematics in Deus Ex still caught a few times (and the sound chopped!) in the first few seconds the first time thru, but then smoothed out and would run smooth until I closed and restarted the program. I'm guessing it has something to do with Direct X & the GeForce2 MX (the original model), but I'm not sure exactly what. Just thought I would share my experiences...
p.s.
Don't feel sorry for me for getting rid of my GF2. Be jealous. Now I have an AMD Athlon T-Bird 1400 (clocked to 1425), a GeForce3, a 46 GB IBM DeskStar drive running at ATA100, 512MB of DDR RAM, a SB Live, and an NEC MultiSync true flat CRT. :)

NinjaCross

October 26, 2001, 03:46 AM

Amazing car model !

www.ninjacross.it

NinjaCross

October 26, 2001, 04:07 AM

What a pity ! It dont runs on my machine :(
I've got a P3@500 with 390Mb Ram, Matrox G450.
When i try to start it, the system stop the execution referring that the program caused an internal error.
Hope this help.

www.ninjacross.it

Quest3D

October 26, 2001, 04:12 AM

Few tips that might help. Try a lower resolution for your desktop. Make sure DirectX 8.0 is installed. Can you tell me which operating system you use?

Quest3D

October 26, 2001, 04:19 AM

The jerking can happen when there is not enough texture memory and textures are being swaped. When AGP texturing is disabled you will see a big performance hit. Try a lower resolution of your dektop and make sure that AGP texturing is enabled.

Quest3D

October 26, 2001, 04:21 AM

Did the winamp TV demo run correctly?

Quest3D

October 26, 2001, 04:22 AM

The shadow is in a texture and it is precalculated.

Quest3D

October 26, 2001, 04:25 AM

The car uses vertex lighting combined with lightmaps. The lightmap uses an alpha channel to make sure it is not to strongly visible. The manual creation of the reflection can give a quick result of what is needed in this scene. The body of the car in the reflection is still quite a lot of polygons not showing that the reflection is way less polygons.

Willem

October 26, 2001, 05:19 AM

That's a really nice car model. Did you make that yourself?

The shadow the car casts, is that calculated in real-time, and if so, what method do you use?

Tip: Why not knock up a quick VIPM system and apply it to the original car mesh and see how that works out? (That's a nicer excercise code-wise than optimising the car's mesh by hand)

Lars Birkemose

October 26, 2001, 06:01 AM

Is that a Honda ?
;O)

Quest3D

October 26, 2001, 06:07 AM

The model was imported and then remodeled. Remodeling a non real-time object the original was is necessary since a polygon reducer does not reduce parts that are half visible. For example the engine, which cannot be seen, is completely removed. The original object also had many small errors that I had to fix. Many parts of the car could be seen trough. Remodeling an object will always give better results then straight import of a non-realtime object and automatic polygon reduction.

Quest3D

October 26, 2001, 06:11 AM

The shadow is non realtime.