Submitted by Ales Holecek, posted on October 15, 2001

Image Description, by Ales Holecek

This image is a screenshot of a scene rendered in the Viewpoint Media Player and represents an Internet banner ad demo (seen in action here). It showcases the integration and interaction of various media types, including flash movies, streaming 3D, composited 2D elements and HyperView all within one scene.

The model was created in 3D Studio Max by Viewpoint's Chris Iorillo and took 2 days to create. Lighting and additional features specific to Viewpoint Experience Technology (VET) were edited using the Viewpoint Scene Builder. The model has 10,682 polygons and 5,011 vertices. The VET proprietary software renderer, renders the scene at 11 fps while fully compositing against the html and desktop background. The scene runs at 800 x 600 resolution on a P3, 450mhz with128 mb memory.

Taharez

October 16, 2001, 03:53 AM

chas: I think sree was referring to apps for blocking banner ads, if you read Politik's message, you'll see that sree is just responding to that.

sree: I've been a fan of the vet tech since the Milkshape site started using it. Keep up the good work

btw, I'm not a fan of ads either, but I do know that this tech is very usable for displaying 3d work, maybe the all-over-the-screen thing is a little overkill, but its still very usable.

RyseFtk

October 16, 2001, 04:11 AM

or whatever your god wants to hear when you close your prayers :)

Bodo Pfeifer

October 16, 2001, 04:33 AM

wow ... nice thing ... but ads suxx ... I will not imagine what happens, when every page is running such banners ... (oh this would mean lots of $$$ for you)

Bodo Pfeifer

October 16, 2001, 04:35 AM

and another thing ... it kicks the back-function of the browser .. this is something you should fix

Douglas Cuthbertson

October 16, 2001, 04:39 AM

So, where's the gun rack, bird dawg and C.B. radio? If your going to put a pickup on my desktop, I want to grab it and drive it. I want the wheels to steer, the steering wheel to turn, the engine to roar and the breaks to squeal. I want to see chickens in the road clucking and scattering left and right. :>

Roch Denis

October 16, 2001, 05:00 AM

I was checking another example of the tech, a world map : http://developer.viewpoint.com/demos/vpdemos/zoomview/earth/index.html

pretty damned cool, I could almost see my city ^_^.

Hosed

October 16, 2001, 05:50 AM

Grrr! Damn tiolet paper!

Hosed

October 16, 2001, 05:59 AM

Well put and that's exactly what I said when I went to their site.

It's cool stuff and hey, as long as I'm not seeing 50 million cars popup on my screen like those damn browser windows then I could care less. We watch commercials on TV don't we?

-Hosed

DogE.D

October 16, 2001, 06:03 AM

Some one who hates flash and java, YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

xEricx

October 16, 2001, 06:35 AM

Flash also have to be installed...

sree

October 16, 2001, 08:10 AM

True, but you weren't really using those while browsing (ok... at least most people aren't...)

sree :)

Sampsa Lehtonen

October 16, 2001, 08:21 AM

What's wrong about Java? Actually, where did you read word "Java"? Nobody said that...

Java rocks.

sree

October 16, 2001, 08:29 AM

Hi yet again :)

Chas: As Taharez pointed out, when I said "whatever the market demands, the market provides" I was referring to ad BLOCKING software, not ad playing software.

It's a shame, but this is a good example of why I often don't post. It's no knock on Chas, as message boards are great for content, but very lacking in both context and tone; often implying things that were never intended. But I digress...

Chas (part 2): As far as the Windows transparency coaxing... that's part of our "secret", as compositing and reading from VRAM is indeed BUTT slow. But, it should be fairly clear that the desktop doesn't change often, and caching is always a good thing... :)

Bodo (and others): The back button thing is just not-so-great HTML. The nav-frames unfortunately aren't set up quite right on our site. We'll fix it at some point.

Tarehez, Bodo, (and others): Thanks for the kind words.

Chas, Nega, Timothy (and others: Bite me, you paranoid losers. (Just Kidding!!!! honest :))

sree :)
developer.viewpoint.com

Dr.Mosh

October 16, 2001, 08:38 AM

Well well well, wasnt gonna post on this but. I open up yahoo this morning, and a palmtop comes flying over my desktop :) I NEVER NEVER was asked if I want to install this software, and I am sure of that, because it was my gaming PC that I hardly ever use for browsing.

Nice compression technology, on of my lecturers was working on something similar but for buildings and cities, and eventually the entire planet. The quality looks really good, but I must say too how much I hate adverts that invade your desktop, where I have to click back about 10 times before I get back to where I wanted to be.

Paul

Andrew Cook

October 16, 2001, 09:20 AM

Hi David,

We recently introduced a Small Business Licensing (SBL) program that would probably meet your clients needs. You can read about this at:

As always, the broadcast licenses are free to Content developer Web sites (businesses actively producing VET content for the purpose of promoting VET and their services to clients), hobbyists and EDU's.

The SBL looks like this:

** License Fee Annual Gross Revenue
$1,500 per year Less than $5 million
$5,000 per year From $5 million to $15 million
$10,000 per year From $15 million to $25 million

This really does open up opportunities for content developers like yourself.

As many others have noted here, the HyperView technology has benefits well beyond banners. In particular it is useful for integrating rich media into existing page layouts and expanding only when the user chooses to interact with the scene.

I would encourage you to sign up for our Developer Newsletter (go to the What's New section on Developer Central (http://developer.viewpoint.com)) as this will keep you updated on the technology.

Glad you like the technology. It is great to see rich media (regardless of whose it is) being adopted by an increasing number of companies around the world.

Cheers - Andrew - acook@viewpoint.com

MauMan

October 16, 2001, 10:30 AM

W/out judgements about ads, nice demo :-)

Bug report: On my dual monitor system (Matrox G450, on windows 2000 w/advanced dualhead enabled (monitors controlled separately)) if the browser is on the secondary display I get a partial (very choppy) animation of the car on the primary display. If I move the browser to the primary display the animation is not choppy an is aligned w/the browser properly.

WillyWonka

October 16, 2001, 11:16 AM

Does the viewpoint plugin work with netscape 6.1 yet? Last time I tried it (A while ago) it just crashed (The plugin, not the browser)

Happy_Dog

October 16, 2001, 11:17 AM

To all that hate the ads: I hope none of you like broadcast TV because the advertisers already have control of that medium. Yet there are still millions that watch, it is a necessary evil, the stations need the ad money to broadcast free of charge. Just like it is now with web sites, they have bills to pay so they put ads on their site. The real problem here is the advertisers the abuse the computer and try and force you to look at their ad with pop-ups and full screens, and soon the product flying around your screen.
Just remember you can always change the channel.
Steve

Politik

October 16, 2001, 12:20 PM

Sree, can you tell us the best way to remove this plugin? Somehow I think you're putting stuff in the registry, or the windows folder, or something besides the Program FilesViewpoint directory. I would use Add/Remove, but since it downloaded itself apparently there is no such way to remove it.

Politik

October 16, 2001, 12:30 PM

sho'nuff, there were several registry entries.

Buster

October 16, 2001, 12:41 PM

Any site that wastes my bandwitdth with that crap is going to get pingflooded.

Wim Libaers

October 16, 2001, 01:49 PM

Just drawing anywhere on the desktop is simple. CreateDC ("DISPLAY", NULL, NULL, NULL); Don't forget to delete that one when you're done!
See the scramble example program in Petzold.

Vorteks

October 16, 2001, 02:45 PM

Interesting. I visited your link, but it didn't work for me. I'm using IE 6.0 on Windows 98. I have seen ads like this before though, on http://www.hollywood.com. They have cars and other things pop up on top of the page as you're surfing. REALLY annoying, but impressive.

Louis Howe

October 16, 2001, 03:44 PM

I hope you're joking. Denial of service attacks are cowardly.

vpb

October 18, 2001, 11:04 AM

so how would you use the technology different?

Sniper BoB

March 30, 2002, 08:42 PM

you like watching commercials on tv? god damn it people are stupid

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 ... out of 2) Next Last