Submitted by Ales Holecek, posted on October 15, 2001

Image Description, by Ales Holecek

This image is a screenshot of a scene rendered in the Viewpoint Media Player and represents an Internet banner ad demo (seen in action here). It showcases the integration and interaction of various media types, including flash movies, streaming 3D, composited 2D elements and HyperView all within one scene.

The model was created in 3D Studio Max by Viewpoint's Chris Iorillo and took 2 days to create. Lighting and additional features specific to Viewpoint Experience Technology (VET) were edited using the Viewpoint Scene Builder. The model has 10,682 polygons and 5,011 vertices. The VET proprietary software renderer, renders the scene at 11 fps while fully compositing against the html and desktop background. The scene runs at 800 x 600 resolution on a P3, 450mhz with128 mb memory.

Raspberry

October 15, 2001, 12:26 PM

Oh no! i thought flash was bad enough! HAHAH

seriously good tech, but I dunno if i can stand another thing for advert guys to hog my CPU cycles.

Peter Mackay

October 15, 2001, 12:40 PM

Hmm, I'm not sure how that rates on a scale of 1 to "shock the monkey".

I took a peek though, nice smooth renderer, but I can't say I like the way it's being used at all.

- Pete

DirtyPunk

October 15, 2001, 12:46 PM

Looks great - although I think you are going to get a few of the superhero to badguy spiels ie "You took what could've been a great force for good - And used it for the wickedest evil." or "Damn, I was trying to use photoshop when that thing loaded in the background".

Still, it looks great - And that many triangles on a software renderer in this case with that quality at 11fps is pretty good on that machine.

[b3]

October 15, 2001, 12:58 PM

You listen to Dido?! :p

Couldn't resist... Seriously though, good #'s for s/w renderer.

.-wXm-.

October 15, 2001, 01:08 PM

realy nice but use it for something good. and not for evil..

Goz

October 15, 2001, 01:15 PM

Amen to that ...

Jari Komppa

October 15, 2001, 01:18 PM

..and there I was, thinking that those fullscreen ads were the most horrible thing imaginable..

L.e.Denninger

October 15, 2001, 01:20 PM

Eyw!

Another reason for people to invest all their time in irritating flashy homepages instead of putting useful stuff on their page...

Hoyle

October 15, 2001, 01:24 PM

It looks nice, but I don't think that it is rendering 10K polygons as 11 FPS in software. Considering the web page says the content takes 85k, I don't think it is sending the model in 3D and rendering it. It looks more like it's just sending the images of the prerendered model and compositing them on top of the screen. Am I right in this assumption?

Anyway it looks pretty cool. Although on slow machines it all happens so fast you only have about 2 or 3 frames where the truck is outside of the web page.

FireFoX

October 15, 2001, 01:30 PM

It looks nice, but as almost all the others said, most people don't like ads, so they won't download the plugin and will never see any of it (and thus has no commercial interest for advertisers).

Well, that's at what I think about it.

nosfy

October 15, 2001, 01:34 PM

It sure looks like a prerendered model.

thec

October 15, 2001, 01:36 PM

Nice model indeed.

Albert

Sir Dranith

October 15, 2001, 01:37 PM

Well, I will say its very impressive, but I personally dont like big flashy adds, or webpages in general. Flash and java using sites are bad enough. I don't know if anyone else has seen the adds that load and completely take over your browser for about 10-15 seconds. I don't think it is a good thing to give advertisers even a NEW way to spam you with their product.

chas

October 15, 2001, 01:37 PM

That's filthy. I mean, the technology's pretty cool, and kudos on that end of it- it really does look nice, but my computer's not your ad canvas. This is the same as those stupid X10 camera pop-under ads. They're obnoxious as hell, and don't make me want to do anything but vomit and turn my computer off. Thank god for popup killer.

The solution to marketing is NOT the takeover of the desktop. That just pisses people off. It's micro-marketing. Take a look at Gonzo Marketing, just reviewed by some dude on /. He talks about why companies like yours are shameless and do nothing but piss people off. You think seeing a car zip along my monitor makes me want to go buy one more?!?!

*sigh*

Sir Dranith

October 15, 2001, 01:40 PM

Well said.

Politik

October 15, 2001, 01:48 PM

Hey, how the hell did that thing install itself on my computer? I thought IE was supposed to ask me before it installed things that could possibly make me homicidal.

Oh, and I like how this is designed to (paraphrasing) "expand graphics that are usually size-limited onto the desktop, effectively increasing the space that can be used for images." Unfortunately, I, like the majority of people out there, use the web browser with the window maximized. Thus you are not using unused space, you are covering up the @#%(^*& browser.

"It showcases the integration and interaction of various media types, including flash movies, streaming 3D, composited 2D elements and HyperView all within one scene."

What is streaming 3d? 3d models that move? And composited 2d elements? Is that a bit like taking one image, and putting a bit of another image on top of it? Lets all soak in the buzzwords.

Meanwhile banner ads are universally despised for intruding on what we're trying to do when we use the internet; if they were relevant then they wouldnt be banner ads, theyd simply be part of the content.

The wickedest evil - I *LOVE* it. I hope it becomes the new "All your base are belong to us." I laugh every time I read it again. I dont particularly agree with the idea that it "could've been a great force for good" because I dont see any such good it could be used for - except maybe some kind of science viz.

ZEN

October 15, 2001, 01:49 PM

this use of technology reminds me of something like the atomic bomb. you didn't think of the implications to society when creating it. ahh, not another advertising tool! it is very cool, but after 5 or so of these VERY intrusive ads, your plugin will be uninstalled. good job though... make a game with that thing, don't sell it to the hexen markerters

Sir Dranith

October 15, 2001, 01:52 PM

For those of you who were curious and might have installed it, and aren't sure how to get rid of it:

Start->Settings->Control Panel->Add Remove Programs->Viewpoint Media Player (Remove Only)

They can't spam adds at you if you don't have the plugin installed.

Politik

October 15, 2001, 02:02 PM

Looked in Add/Remove, its not there. I'm running Win2k, IE6. When I changed IE's default security stuff to make it prompt me before running ActiveX controls/scripts (different than the kind of thing that pops up all the time like "Would you like to install the MediaBlitz Media Icon Pointer Genie Rockstar plugin?". Then when I go back to the site with the ad, this time it asks me but apparently the thing is installed somewhere because it loads much more quickly.

So, in short, theres nothing in Add/Remove programs that can remove this. Theres a folder somewhere where IE keeps its downloaded activex controls, I guess I'll delete it from there.

Wim Libaers

October 15, 2001, 02:06 PM

Well, at least the atomic bomb was useful for something. This is just Evil. I guess you're going to try for a first place on the HTML hell page?

And I thought marquee and blink tag were bad enough already ;-)

Politik

October 15, 2001, 02:10 PM

Update: apparently it installed itself in C:Program FilesViewpoint. No sign of an uninstallation utility though. I checked my IE settings a bit more and noticed something that was checked called (I think) Install On Demand(other). this is not in the security settings, but in the advanced tab I think. I think thats how it may have installed itself, although this is the first thing to do so. Everything else (quicktime, flash, etc) has always asked first. Anyways, for anyone with IE6, might want to uncheck that.

bigcheese

October 15, 2001, 02:10 PM

The regular back button wouldn't work. I had to jump back several to escape.

Jrz

October 15, 2001, 02:19 PM

Try before you state stuff that's wrong

ector

October 15, 2001, 02:35 PM

I'm running IE 5.5 and it did ask me.

saying that doesn't mean I like the thing.. sure it looked cool with a car running straight out of the banner.. but I DO NOT want to see it again anywhere.. please don't let the genie out of it's bottle, don't open pandoras box.

DirtySouthAfrican

October 15, 2001, 02:45 PM

Dido is the bomb!

Sadly, this plugin component thing fuxificates my mouse when it is downloading the demo. This is actually more annoying than discovering you are out of toiletpaper after you've soiled the bowl.

The car won't "come out" no matter how much I fondle the little banner, and the camera site reloads itself as soon as I get a chance to play with it.

I'm running IE5.

Also, I would find 3D popups justification enough to go out and hurt someone.

My verdict? It seems that your only redeeming quality is that you listen to Dido.

DirtySouthAfrican

October 15, 2001, 02:46 PM

Could we have the landscapes back please?

Hoyle

October 15, 2001, 03:00 PM

> Try before you state stuff that's wrong

Instead of writing my own code to see if it was possible I thought it would be quicker to ask him if we were misunderstanding him.

In his post it seemed that he was saying that the 3D model was being rendered in real time. He says, "The VET proprietary software renderer, renders the scene at 11 fps while fully compositing against the html and desktop background." The word "render" could also mean that the images (prerendered with 3D Studio Max) were being compisited onto the screen at 11 fps. I was just trying to get him to clarify.

And btw (not to start a flame war). You ASSUME that I haven't tried it.

anyway, you are right in your assumption, no I haven't tried it.

elenzil

October 15, 2001, 03:00 PM

I think it is actually doing SW rendering
as opposed to page-flipping pre-rendered stuff,
as it uses 40% of my 1.5GHz p4 during the
infinite rotating part at the end.

ditto on the evil application.

who's dido ?

Ron Frazier

October 15, 2001, 03:08 PM

I have to agree with everyone that I dont like the ad abuse potential, but I do think the camera image demo was quite cool.

afk

October 15, 2001, 03:24 PM

Yeah, this is rather terrible. I don't give a damn -what- kind of 3D skillz you're (ab)using, this will only complicate our lives.

*sigh*
Sell-outs.

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 ... out of 2) Next Last