Submitted by Warren Marshall, posted on October 14, 2001

Image Description, by Warren Marshall

To test out my game engine code, a friend and I put together a clone of the puzzle game, "Bubblet". This gives all my currently written code a good work out and it's a fun game to boot. :)

You can download the game from my hosted page : EpicBoy.

I plan to do a series of small games like this as I develop the code more and add features. I use DirectX for everything ... Direct3D, DirectInput and DirectSound.

Some of the cooler things it does are :
  • A file system that looks for a file in the directory structure first and if it can't find it, it looks in any ZIP files that are in it's running directory.
  • A GUI that supports most controls that are found in Windows.
  • Special GUI windows which can be told to read their text from HTML files. The "Rules" window and the "About" dialog both do this. It only supports text formatting commands at the moment (left/center/right, color, bold, italic, etc), but hopefully I'll be able to expand this in the future to handle other things (like images).
  • Anyway ... play it and have fun! :)

morgar

October 14, 2001, 02:57 PM

Hey man thats pretty cool :) Anyway you can add diagnol support? Or did that make it too easy to clear the screen?

Warren Marshall

October 14, 2001, 03:10 PM

I never saw diagonal support in any of the versions I downloaded, so I assume it's not part of the rule set. :)

morgar

October 14, 2001, 03:18 PM

Oh sorry missed the part where u said it was a clone :).

abnormal

October 14, 2001, 04:01 PM

nice game, good to see finished projects all the time :)

=[Scarab]=

October 14, 2001, 04:25 PM

I've seen your GUI on your site before. It's good to see it in action in a game. Keep up the good work. :)

Jeff Olson

October 14, 2001, 04:30 PM

hehe, great way to blow the afternoon off instead of doing discrete math :)

ps-> c64 loadrunner needs a comeback, imo ;)

Warren Marshall

October 14, 2001, 05:00 PM

Thanks! :) I'm pretty happy with the GUI. It's not perfect, but whatever is?

Merrick

October 14, 2001, 11:37 PM

Very nice. It is definitely a good thing to see another finished project, it gives some of us a kick in the butt to get working on our own again. And about your HTML parser, does it only read single word tags, or can it read values as well? And if it can read values, do you use quotes or spaces to differentiate the values? (Just wondering, I use an xml style parser for my stuff).

And Jeff, damn straight about Loderunner. I've been thinking about that for quite a while now, and have only found one clone for the PC so far, that being a DOS game. Wouldn't mind a graphically updated version, as long as the gameplay remains the same.

Warren Marshall

October 15, 2001, 12:33 AM

Well, it only handles simple tags related to text formatting. That's about it. It reads color values but that's about it in terms of values. Everything else it just looks for strong, italic, br, p, etc type fields and formats the text accordingly.

I hope to expand on it one day, but the problem is more the renderer than it is the parser. :) Getting it all into data structures that my engine understands is one thing, but properly displaying pages of HTML (with tables, images, etc) will be quite another ...

=[Scarab]=

October 15, 2001, 04:44 AM

Thanks! :) I'm pretty happy with the GUI. It's not perfect, but whatever is?
    Nothing is perfect. Nothing is the name of my latest project. Nah just kidding. :P

Warren Marshall
    Level Designer/Programmer/Corporate Shill
    Epic Games (www.epicgames.com)
    Whoa, Epic Games? From Unreal Tournament? I envy you. :)

Stefan Karlsson

October 15, 2001, 06:44 AM

wow.. this game must have millions of clones.. still i didnt find any for win32 when i wanted one so i had to write one myself.. is there any site with lots of old games for win32 ?

and multiplayer versions of old games.. like chess and all those others

aetsch

October 15, 2001, 09:59 AM

Hi ,

i have just released a little Checker Game at www.yh76.de

cu Yves

Bodo Pfeifer

October 15, 2001, 10:05 AM

nice thing ...

only the graphics could need a polish ...