Submitted by Bodo Pfeifer, posted on October 12, 2001

Image Description, by Bodo Pfeifer

We are a german game development company and are currently developing on our upcoming game titles using our engine.

On top you can see some screens of our 3D game engine demonstration. This demo was made in around 5 weeks for the USF 2001 (www.usf.de).

I could post all the features in here, but better check out www.fakt-software.de/uce and you will find all the details about UCE together with some download links. We recommend a CPU with >800 Mhz and at least a GF256 to run the demo properly. For people with slower machines, we made a MPEG-video of the demo.

.. and yes, it features a clod terrain, too ;)

Bodo Pfeifer

October 13, 2001, 07:05 AM

wow ... so much comments ...

+ this engine is not for sale .. it's just for own purpose
+ the problems with the missing objects .. this is odd :), but we are working on that

Kasper Fauerby

October 13, 2001, 08:17 AM

Lourens:
Well, exactly how many people do you think would buy a license to an engine like Q2 these days? You have to plan ahead and target the high-end machines because when the game/engine is finished those machines will probably be the standard.

Bodo:
I tried the demo at a friends computer where it crashed as the other describe (changing window resolution and then exit to desktop) and my own system at home is very similar to his so actually I don't know why I downloaded it again when I got home. But I'm glad I did - it ran perfectly and man - you have some really neat features in that engine! For the record my system is a 1.4Ghz athlon with a Geforce2 GTS 32mb. The trees and bridge was there..
I had expected an interactive demo though but what I saw was more like a "the-scene like" demo. There was one of the listed features that made me laugh though - "270 Trees"... I mean, come on - that can hardly be justified as one of the "features" of the engine. It's not like you see it and think "WOW - this guy has 270!! trees in the world at once". With your engine one would instantly assume that you could put as many trees in it as you would want. Nice work!

- Kasper

(I think I'm gonna watch it one more time now..)

Bodo Pfeifer

October 13, 2001, 09:11 AM

rofl ...

we mentioned the 270, because each tree has around 360 polys, so 270*360 adds some more polys to the scene ..

Bodo Pfeifer

October 13, 2001, 12:44 PM

ok folks ... I think I found the problem with the missing objects .. something with die AAAB-Check goes wrong on some machines .. don't ask me why .. I had the chance to test it on a system where this error occurs and ran a version without all the checks and voila - all objects were there

I could offer you a link to some 'pre-fixed' exe without the checkcode, but I think it's better to fix the checkroutine in the engine :) .. this may last while, since the engineprogrammer is on weekend :)

Timothy Barnes

October 13, 2001, 12:59 PM

wo0t! Infinite zoom!

Jeez man. How did were you able to render so many trees? Those trees looked a little low poly, but all of those trees together with the particles and the terrain and such should have killed the scene.

Nice special effects. Nice camera work. I especially liked the fact that you used that weird camera angle. The one in the cave where the camera flies over the character then passes him upsidedown...

Too bad I only got to see the video. My gaming computer has no screen right now >_< !

Nathaniel

October 13, 2001, 03:00 PM

5 weeks?! Whoa =)
Excellent use of trees. Its how I always felt they should look like in any game. Aside that, demo ran fine, about 20+fps on my 800Mhz, no missing objects or anything of the sort.

Keep up the good work!

Andreas Lenk

October 13, 2001, 03:17 PM

Hi,
this is only a techdemo from our engine, which is still heavily in development. No content of the demo is content from our next game. We know, the framerate in the forrest scene is a bit low, but we are working hard on optimizations. There is still a lot we can do to speed up things.
We hope millions of people will bye our game :-). The hardware requirements will be around 800 MHz, GeForce 256.
You wrote, you don't have Windows. What are you using? Because we planed the engine to be easily ported.

TSlick

October 13, 2001, 03:17 PM

No trees, bridge, or waterfall. Other than that it looks and sounds good.

System info if it helps:
Dell inspiron notebook
PIII 1.2 Ghz
256 Mb ram
GeForce2 Go 32Mb

Andreas Lenk

October 13, 2001, 03:22 PM

Hi
:-)))
take a look on our uce webpage. We don't plan to offer our engine to other companies at this time. We will use it only in our games. I agree 100% to your opinion. You have the same thoughts, we had :-)
Bye, Andreas