Submitted by Bodo Pfeifer, posted on October 12, 2001

Image Description, by Bodo Pfeifer

We are a german game development company and are currently developing on our upcoming game titles using our engine.

On top you can see some screens of our 3D game engine demonstration. This demo was made in around 5 weeks for the USF 2001 (www.usf.de).

I could post all the features in here, but better check out www.fakt-software.de/uce and you will find all the details about UCE together with some download links. We recommend a CPU with >800 Mhz and at least a GF256 to run the demo properly. For people with slower machines, we made a MPEG-video of the demo.

.. and yes, it features a clod terrain, too ;)

meZmo

October 12, 2001, 01:04 PM

Gooood looking!!

Krylar

October 12, 2001, 01:12 PM

Nice work! I especially like the shot on the site where you're looking up at the mountain...neat little tree sitting on the ledge. :D

Frans Bouma

October 12, 2001, 02:32 PM

Nice demo, but on my system, the trees and the bridge over the water are not rendered (Dual p3-933, 256MB, win2k sp2, GF2 GTS, DetonatorXP 21.83). Too bad the little man in the demo is walking extremely clumsy so the skeletal anymation is not showing off what it possibly can do.. it now more looks like a puppet that's badly animated.

Ucciderlo

October 12, 2001, 02:38 PM

Nice work on your demo! I really like the way it looks, especially the space scene and the infinite zoom. The framerate was generally pretty good until it got to the trees part. Then the framerate crawled and the man looked like he was ice skating :). Anyways, I know that you are still debugging I'm sure, so of course it will be fixed. The system I tested it on was AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz with GeForce 2 MX. Once again, very nice work. It's nice to see so many completed things lately!

=[Scarab]=

October 12, 2001, 02:52 PM

It looks FABULOUS and runs very nice on my system. I don't think the dwarf is animated badly, I just think his movement is not synchronized to his animation. (Just watch him walk or run, you'll know what I mean.)

TheRain

October 12, 2001, 02:55 PM

Downloaded the demo... that's !@#$ing amazing.

Bodo Pfeifer

October 12, 2001, 03:18 PM

Yes, I know .. the characteranimations looks a bit crappy .. reason: there are all handmade per keyframe animation .. I had little problems with importing biovision data .. currently I'm reading into the C3D-format specification

Bodo Pfeifer

October 12, 2001, 03:23 PM

I just saw, the email got a bit mixed up ... it's bodo.pfeifer@fakt-software.de ...

noisecrime

October 12, 2001, 03:34 PM

Screenshots look great, but the demo crashes every time, just after it resets the desktop size ;(

P3 1ghz 256mb Geforce 2 ultra 64mb.

WhoopAss

October 12, 2001, 03:56 PM

I've got the same problem as noisecrime..

Celeron 400Mhz, 384mb, gf2 mx 32mb, running w2k and detonator xp drivers from nvidia

z80

October 12, 2001, 04:58 PM

Really cool demo. Nice design.

I dont see any bridge or trees either, the dwarf still managed to cross the stream though, and didnt fall in :-) I have a Pentium 4 1.5GHz, Geforce 2 MX 32mb, 128MB RAM.

QRock

October 12, 2001, 04:59 PM

Very professional looking demo.

Well done!

See ya
Rich

Kippesoep

October 12, 2001, 05:16 PM

No trees, bridge and waterfall... Looking good otherwise.

Using P3-500@561, GeForce 3, Detonator XP, Win98, 1GB RAM

Kippesoep

October 12, 2001, 05:23 PM

Also, no walls in the mine. For some reason, all static objects seem to be missing in the mine scene and outdoor scene (except the landscape). The MPEG movie doesn't have these problems ;-)

AfTeRmAtH

October 12, 2001, 05:40 PM

nice... but i have one question. When you say that all your componentts are in diferent DLLs, then how many diferent header files do you use... like one main header file that hass all the derived classes that all the stuff is built on
ex:
in your main header file for the engine

class UCERenderer
{
...
virtual HRESULT Draw*();
virtual HRESULT Init(HINSTANCE hInstance);
...
}

then in one of your driver project files

class UCED3DRenderer : public UCERenderer
{
HRESULT Draw*();
HRESULT Init(...);
}

Is that how it works?
BTW:From now on, this very nice and cool idea is (c)2001 AfTeRmAtH

max621

October 12, 2001, 06:17 PM

Why are you using DetXP's under windows 98? That could cause problems.

Mastaba

October 12, 2001, 06:33 PM

DetXP is just the name of the latest driver version. It does not imply that it is for WinXP. Indeed the link for the WinXP DetXP drivers is different from the one for the Win98 DetXP drivers

Dr.Mosh

October 12, 2001, 06:49 PM

It crashes on my system too.
athlon 1.4, gf1, detonator XP 21.81, win2k and win98 both crash :(

Tristan

October 12, 2001, 07:07 PM

get a "memory could not be read error"

win2k, GF2MX, Celeron 533

Moron

October 12, 2001, 07:10 PM

sorry AfTeRmAtH, discreet have already used that mechanism since (at least) 3d Studio Max 2.0, and probably earlier, and I wouldn't be suprised if it had been used elsewhere too.

no patent if you can provide evidence of prior examples ;)

Morgan

October 12, 2001, 07:17 PM

No trees and a little slow (~20fps) on PIV Win2k Gf3.

-m

AfTeRmAtH

October 12, 2001, 07:19 PM

yeh, i was just kiding, any help with doing it, check out my fourmn on www.gamedev.net

michael

October 12, 2001, 09:43 PM

Hey!

This is just fantasic.

Not only you're inventing COMPLETELY NEW things and copyright them (of course you were the first one...I just did a search on the flipcode forums and found 0 (!) posts with similar ideas),
you also improve the syntax of C++

HRESULT Draw*();

Never saw something like that...I'm impressed. This simplicity...so is it kind of a name overloading? Like in the implementation you write HResult Class::Draw( string strStar ), and strStar would contain "Ray" for DrawRay(), or "Line" for DrawLine()? You are a GENIUS!!! One recommendation: Call it ++C or so, ok?

On the other hand, I can hardly understand this part of your post:

Is that how it works? BTW:From now on, this very nice and cool idea is (c)2001 AfTeRmAtH

You don't care if it works this way, you just copyright it? Probably you KNOW that it works, you just don't want to try it. Man, I'd like to have your well-deserved self-confidence...

Hey, man, I'm just kidding, but this was little bit too much at 3:35 PM :)

Greetings,
Michael

PS: ++C is (c) 2001 by Michael *gggg*

Justin Blackwell

October 12, 2001, 11:18 PM

What about the guys who patented the wheel in the year 2000? (or whenever....)

DirtyPunk

October 13, 2001, 12:50 AM

Looks great! I especially like the shadows from the trees.

Although it does make me want to attack a garden gnome with an arc welder.

J Persson

October 13, 2001, 03:21 AM

Impressive!

Thumbs up for the trees ;)

I think that you should but some more work into the terrain texturing though.

noxa

October 13, 2001, 04:13 AM

No trees or bridge here - I do see the door that the guy closes tho, although its just sitting in the middle of nowhere (I don't know if theres supposed to be some object around it that isnt drawing like the trees or not, cause hes just closing the door to air in my demo :)

Otherwise, pretty spiffy
I like the text effects

Andreas Lenk

October 13, 2001, 04:28 AM

hi
we use one header file per DLL. our render system dynamically links the render driver. so we can run the engine on systems without DirectX8 (e.g. NT4), because the DX DLLs are only needed, if our engine binds rD3D.dll (the demo uses only OpenGL, because D3D driver isn't complete yet).

Lourens Veen

October 13, 2001, 05:41 AM

Looks nice, and thanks for providing that mpeg so that those of us who don't have Windows can also watch the fun. One question though, exactly how many people do you think will buy the game, give the required hardware? Don't you think the hardware requirements are a bit steep?

=sub=

October 13, 2001, 06:36 AM

hmmm, could be looking nice,
but without the trees and the bridge, its more funny... :(
my question to you is, do you really think anyone would license
your engine for money? i mean there are so much commercial engines,
why you don't take your engine and make an awesome game with it?
( and offer the licensing service afterwards? - like epic with unreal )