Submitted by Nathaniel Meyer, posted on October 09, 2001

Image Description, by Nathaniel Meyer

Well, I guess I'll just post the info below, and you guys can post it, should it be worthy =) The image is also attached to the e-mail.

Well, after a year of development (though never steady, sort of a past time hobby), here's a little snippet of my engine I call "Nutty". It's nothing really fancy, though I hope for it to support a wide variety of features in the near future (and fix some of the old ones too =). The shots you see here are from one of my programs called NuttyWorlds. Its sole purpose is to load and play around with objects, which you then save them in .nut format to load in other Nutty engine based apps. This app is my mainstay program demonstrating the nutty engine's features. I have also listed on my website (the link is below) three other demos (rather old ones) I made for fun.

Since I'm in my 2nd year of University, I'm learning some cool stuff that I can apply to the engine to spruce it up (like AI). I also plan on sharing my ideas with the public under my openGL tutorials section, so that's a bonus once I learn more interesting stuff. Feedback, is of course, welcome =)

Here's the link to my website:
http://hideout.cjb.net (it's a local server, might not be all the bells and whistles on speed =)

chad

October 09, 2001, 01:20 PM

Nice trees. :)

SirKnight

October 09, 2001, 01:26 PM

I love those trees! How did you do them? I like the clouds too, is that from a skybox or some other nifty technique? :)

-SirKnight

Tobias Franke

October 09, 2001, 01:56 PM

The sky rocks! If it's a skybox, may I have a copy of it, please?

Mateo

October 09, 2001, 02:21 PM

.nut, I love it.

Navreet Gill

October 09, 2001, 03:15 PM

Trees look nice, are they billboards? i hope not... i am working on an implementation myself, care to discuss?

Those clouds are nice... from my experience it looks like a skybox to me, or a REALLY good sky rendering.

Slade

October 09, 2001, 03:39 PM

Well done

Nathaniel

October 09, 2001, 04:31 PM

Hey all,

First off, thanks for the feedback. Second, the trees are just 3ds meshes. The engine does support bill boarding (just insert an RGBA texture of a tree), but I have yet to see a bill boarded tree that detailed or 3D =). As for the skybox, itís just a textured sphere with an experimental texture coordinate system. There's a horizontal line that cuts the equator of the sphere. Since this is the base of a hemisphere, its not likely the user will ever see it, but it would be nice to remove that horizontal line.

n1c_V

October 09, 2001, 04:39 PM

What can I say. Realy nice trees:)

Max

October 09, 2001, 05:49 PM

Haha, I had an engine called "Oak" which used .nut files too :)

Max

Lion V

October 09, 2001, 05:57 PM

Joining with the popular approval....
really nice trees :)
Thats a cool alter or whatever.

Thr33d

October 09, 2001, 08:14 PM

Nice well rounded engine. (Hoping to give a little more info, if possible)
I obviously don't know any better than anyone else, but-

The trees appear to be from www.3dcafe.com (free 3d models -> trees section)

And the sky appears to be skybox of a modified sky texture that came packaged with 3d Studio v2.01+ , Sky.jpg I believe (originally 640x480). The modified version seems to be running around on the net (I think it's at 3dcafe.com in the free texture section) and is horizontally tileable, but has a darkish horizon line.

Anyway, like I said, a good, fairly polished project *grin*. Keep up the good work, I still need to brush up on the c++ stuff :(, for now I'm still stuck in Vb.

-Mike

disableddan

October 10, 2001, 12:10 AM

I like it! The trees picture in the lower right is very nice... are the trees animated to blow in the wind and such? Very nice work!! Good luck with your project!

maq

October 10, 2001, 02:15 AM

Looks like the tree from the golf game links, strange that the trees dont cast shadows but the flying thing do...

But i like the grass and the skybox very much..

/maq

EgonOlsen

October 10, 2001, 07:32 AM

The tree meshes can be found on almost every site offering free 3ds meshes. Anyway, they DO look good...

Nathaniel

October 10, 2001, 12:00 PM

Yeah, the trees are from either 3dcafe.com or renderosity.com. I go to either site to download some of the amazing free meshes. Itís a pretty good way to test out your mesh loader. Also, the reason the trees don't cast a shadow yet is because I'm working on silhouetting 3d meshes. The basic circle primitive can cast a shadow no problem. As for wind effects, sounds like a cool feature to implement =)

joke_dst

October 10, 2001, 01:59 PM

The trees are nice... What framerate did you get on the tree scene?

Nathaniel

October 10, 2001, 08:36 PM

About 20fps (amd 800) with approx 150,000 verts and 75,000 faces; no optimizations.