Submitted by Nick Waanders, posted on October 06, 2001

Image Description, by Nick Waanders

These are a few in-game screenshots from our upcoming game Knights, targeted for PlayStation 2. We have worked on this game for a year and a half now, and it should be on the shelf next year. Our team is currently about 15 people on the gameteam (2 programmers, 12 artists/designers, 1 producer), and another 8 on tech-coding (Render Engine, PS2, etc). The game is a 3d platform game starring Iron-Nick (the little Knight who appears in the shots) .

These are our first lighting tests. We use black and white lightmaps and vertex colors for the lighting. The setup for the lighting is done in 3DStudio MAX and then it is all exported into a self-built tool to generate the lightmaps. This takes about 10 minutes in a 30000 polygon world with about 250 lightsources. But after this precalculation step, it runs in realtime on PC and PlayStation (target is 60fps).

What is a bit of a shame is that these screenshots don't do the physics engine justice. We use the Havok Physics Technology to take care of all the physics related issues. This enabled us to do all kinds of cool stuff, like kicking boxes around in your level, creating rope-bridges that tumble, etc..

For development we mainly use PC's, the screenshots are from a PC using OpenGL. We generally keep the codebase as PS2-compatible as possible, and regulary check whether everything is still running on PS2. Development is easier (and also quicker) when working on a PC, but using this method we are still able to make a PS2 game..

I hope you all enjoy these pictures, and keep an eye out for our game! :)

Cheers,
Nick Waanders, Lead Programmer Knights/Lost Boys games

arB_mindburning

October 06, 2001, 08:22 AM

it looks great... well this nice comic style, including the sky...
well done so far...

Kurt Miller

October 06, 2001, 08:25 AM

The shots look great. I especially love the art style...

stoo

October 06, 2001, 08:26 AM

I don't know what it is about it, but that looks like a lot of fun. I like the top right image of the dragon. Is that made from stone? Are you going to release any footage from the game? It would be good to see the physics in action. Brings back memories of Finders Keepers on the ZX many, many moons ago...

Stoo

FireFoX

October 06, 2001, 08:26 AM

arB>> Tnx for posting at the same time, now I have to rewrite my comment because of a bug in the message system of flipcode... :)

Back to the IOTD:
That just looks AWESOME!! Wish I had a PS2, then I would definately buy the title, seems like a cool game to me.

Keep up the good work!

noisecrime

October 06, 2001, 08:52 AM

That looks so gorgeous!

If your developing on a PC, why only release it on the PSX2?

Hopefully you'll produce some movies so we can see it in action soon.

Dr.Mosh

October 06, 2001, 08:54 AM

2 programmers / 8 designers = good :)

Peter Mackay

October 06, 2001, 08:56 AM

Hehe this looks really nice - I love the style. Any word on what the gameplay is like?

By the way, sneaky pimp! :-)

MK42

October 06, 2001, 08:57 AM

I love the artwork ... that comic style is extremely nice and wacky, especially the ship and house ... they look fantastic. I can almost see the little knight running around ... maybe a bit clumsy ... falling on his butt and scratching his helmet with a scratchy sound.

What type of game is it? Action-Adventure ... a la Zelda?

I assume you went with black/white shadows due to memory constraints of the PS2 ...

Your knight needs better shadows ... but since you still have a year to go I assume that this will make it into the game/engine at a later stage.

Regarding the lightmapping ... 30.000 polys and 250 lights in 10 minutes ... that doesn't really tell a lot about lightmapping performance. More interesting would be the amount of generated lightmap data (i.e. pixels) and how many faces a light touches on average!

- Marco

richard

October 06, 2001, 09:12 AM

Knights rulez
Lost Boys rulez
Havok rulez
Comics rulez
Nederland rulez ;)

Hmm.. I think this game is going to be VERY good :)

Slade

October 06, 2001, 09:28 AM

Looks good it is games that look this good that makes me want to join the industry. Good look on the playstation 2 if you can get me a ps2 I'll buy this game

Tobias Franke

October 06, 2001, 09:53 AM

Hey, that the game looks great! I love the comic style, reminds me of good ol' Day of the Tentacle and Sam 'n Max... besides that, when is that super-violent game coming you're (and probably LostBoys) working on, LED? ;)

Morgan

October 06, 2001, 10:13 AM

Yep, I'd buy it just based on your in-production screen shot. :)

-m

RoastBeef

October 06, 2001, 10:28 AM

This looks absolutely incredible! So professional, and I love the art style also! It's a refreshing change of pace. Good work guys, keep it up, you've got a winner on your hands.

Mattman

October 06, 2001, 12:17 PM

I agree with Tobias...the first thing I saw when I saw this screenshot was Day of the Tentacle due to the similar cartoonishness of the sky and buildings. I love games that are colorful like this, there's just something about them that makes me want to play them. If I had a PlayStation 2, I'd buy this game when it came out too. You know, it seems a lot of people are saying that on this IOTD. I agree that this game should be released for the PC as well, seeing as you're developing it on a PC anyway. Many more people have PC's than PlayStation 2's.

In any case, good luck with the remainder of the project. I'm sure it will be a great game!

lycium

October 06, 2001, 12:27 PM

totally awesome IOTD, it restores my faith in hardware accelerated 3d!

nice lightmapping (i'm such a GI freak...) btw :)

=[Scarab]=

October 06, 2001, 12:58 PM

That's some very nice artwork in there. Love the comic style, especially the small knight holding the huge crate. :P

Btw, lost boys is Dutch right? Way the go! This restores my fate in the game development in Nederland.

MrDevlin

October 06, 2001, 02:06 PM

Really cool art and graphics. Reminds me of Monkey Island but 3D.
Is this game going to be released on PC as well, since you've got support for it anyway?

Is LostBoys the only dutch developer that makes real games?? ;)
(Note: Davilex doesn't make real games)

Phil Carlisle

October 06, 2001, 03:05 PM

Nice. Very nice. I like the quality of the lightmaps.

Good project eh? :))

Maybe I should post a shot of worms blast.. ok, maybe not :)

Phil.

richard

October 06, 2001, 03:31 PM

(Note: Davilex doesn't make real games)

A2 Racer I, II, III, IV, Europe Racer and Grachten Racer rulez! ;)

Megahertz

October 06, 2001, 03:51 PM

uhh huh huh uhh heh heh huh WOW!

disableddan

October 06, 2001, 03:55 PM

Wow.

I looked at these shots and was amazed. I love the style the game has- it looks great but retains a cartoon style in the textures (I especially like the buldging, rounded building in the top-right shot).

Good luck! The game looks awesome!!!

=[Scarab]=

October 06, 2001, 03:59 PM

You forgot Amsterdoom. And NO, I don't think those count as REAL games. ;)

Jrz

October 06, 2001, 04:09 PM

Juist ja,
toch hoor je daar vaak andere dingen over

Not

October 06, 2001, 04:09 PM

Hey cool :)
Iron-"Nick", grin, hehehe ;)
It's nice to see new shots of good 'ol knights :o)
Man, i remember seeing that dragon being modelled hehe
I really dig the new skin on the knight and the world seems a lot more detailed since i last saw it..
Does the water still wave?
(I'm not 100% sure about that user interface tough, i suspect you guys are still working on that, right?)

And it's a shame you guys here can't see the physics, because it really rules..
Last time i saw it (6 months ago or something?) it ruled, so i can imagine that it should be even a lot better now :)

Jrz

October 06, 2001, 04:18 PM

Why does everybody forget http://www.triumphstudios.com/ ?
They create AAA games, and are based in our frogland

J Persson

October 06, 2001, 04:33 PM

Way to go!

LeD, I might consider sucking your normals now ;)

=[Scarab]=

October 06, 2001, 05:05 PM

Never heard of them before, and yet their game received a best of E3 award. Strange...

Jrz

October 06, 2001, 05:24 PM

Well, maybe they should do some marketing or whatever, maybe let the producers publish their logo a bitmore noticable or what ever

silverlime

October 06, 2001, 05:30 PM

Hey, that is amazing. I love that sort of cartoon style. I think my lead 3D modeler gave me a screen of this game or one very similar a few weeks ago and I wish we could use that style but it would note exactly suit our game :) Keep up the good work!

richard

October 06, 2001, 06:08 PM

Jah zeg, ben ik een keer positief over Nederland, is 't nog niet goed.. :)