Submitted by Gabriel RABHI, posted on October 05, 2001

Image Description, by Gabriel RABHI

This small demonstration show a spring based dynamic simulator with a muscle feature. A muscle is a length variable spring. The structure of the animal is only animated by muscle and all behaviors of the structure are generated by simulation of collision particle on the ground.

This is a research demonstration : we are integrating a mesh preservation mechanism and full collision detection. This engine will be used as a full inverse cinematic, skeleton based character and soft and rigid constrained bodies simulator, and should be integrated in our programming tools and in our advanced content creation real-time networked environment now in development.

You can download this demo here :

Shadow

October 05, 2001, 10:51 AM

wow

RoastBeef

October 05, 2001, 10:54 AM

Reminds me alot of sodaplay, that little internet spring game. Good work :)

lycium

October 05, 2001, 11:11 AM

now if you added a proper mesh, fur rendering and some ik...

awesome stuff!

kewldude

October 05, 2001, 11:37 AM

The Constructor has always been so fun to play with

Punchey

October 05, 2001, 12:08 PM

I've always thought this kind of thing was the coolest! Combine this with genetic algos and a neural net, and you're talkin' ***AWESOME***!!!

Gabriel-Rabhi

October 05, 2001, 12:16 PM

Yes, it's soda play in 3D, with a small modification wich permit a higher stability without multi-conputation for each frame. I'm searching for a algo that permit the preservation of the mesh, taking care of constraints : pivot, axis, rigid, build using springs. So, I have to create a matrix for each indepedent peace of the mesh and changing the velocity to approach the original shape.
In other part, I'm searching to perform collision, with self collision detection and edge to edge collision computation (finding the interection is not so hard, but perform a good animation result is).
By the way, let's said that I have not lot of time to spend in this research, so it go slowly (money should be welcome) ! I'm searching in other technology, that include the efficient EZ GUI library.

Thank's,

Gabriel RABHI

Gabriel-Rabhi

October 05, 2001, 12:23 PM

Neural nets and genetic are in my mind : my structure will integrate sensors able to inform an "entity" based on logical decision pipeline or neural network to perform a behavior. Muscle will be driven by this logical decision pipeline : INPUT : eye (rays), sound detectore, and in a pipeline builded graphically with our tools (component that you connect), and OUTPUT are the muscle value.

This is in my mind, but I relly need a lot of time to develop this, so... I should start an open source project.

Gabriel RABHI

Genu

October 05, 2001, 12:57 PM

Cool job!

Could you give us the url of your Open source project?

louis

ector

October 05, 2001, 02:21 PM

I guess you mean inverse Kinematics, not cinematics.. what the hell would inverse cinematics be??? :D

Dr.Mosh

October 05, 2001, 02:59 PM

A film that plays backwards? upside down? mirrored? :)

lycium

October 05, 2001, 05:55 PM

the movie watches you

fluffy

October 05, 2001, 10:55 PM

Argh. This is one of the things that I was going to be researching for my dissertation (specifically what Punchey said about neural net/GA control). Specifically for a MMORPG-type environment. Crap, yet ANOTHER project I can't do due to it not being novel anymore. :)

AblazeSpace

October 06, 2001, 02:37 AM

Wow extreme impressive technique!
It would be interesting to see such an muscle system in a game.

Boris Reuderink

October 06, 2001, 04:14 AM

I had the same idea... Not for dissertation but as a reasearch project in my spare time. Damn!

Alexander Blach

October 06, 2001, 04:28 AM

lol

Gabriel-Rabhi

October 06, 2001, 11:32 AM

Yes, it's an error ! Kinematic, of course !