Submitted by Daniel Zuidinga, posted on October 03, 2001

Image Description, by Daniel Zuidinga

I am a 18 year old student from Germany. In the 12th level we have to do a scientific work - the so called Facharbeit. My task was to code an application which simplifies the measurement and displaying of electric potentials in an electrolytical trough.

On the upper left picture you can the see the main application (coded with Delphi/DelphiX) which controls the hardware over the serial interface (upper right pictures). The program grabs a raster-scan of the electrical potential distribution and displays it in a two-dimensional way on the screen. Morevover the application allows the user to restore the errors of measurement and to display the measurement result in different ways (colors, frames, text...).

On the lower right image you can see a three dimensional projection of the measurement results. It is displayed by an external viewer which i coded quick and dirty with Delphi and WdirectX.

Finally, in the upper left corner, you can see a measurement which i edited with Photoshop. It should show the electrical potential distribution in a classical way with the so called potential-lines.

You can get more informatoin about my scientific work on
www.zuidinga.de/facharbeit/einleitung.htm (only in German!)

I would be pleased if i get feedback ;-)

nosfy

October 03, 2001, 10:58 AM

Nice landscape engine! : )

L.e.Denninger

October 03, 2001, 11:03 AM

I love plasmaclouds :)

SnAkE

October 03, 2001, 11:05 AM

Hey cool, but there are no trees...
Hope you change that for the next release!

;-) SnAkE

Joachim Hofer

October 03, 2001, 11:05 AM

This is really impressive. I admit this is very good work, and for sure is superior to 99% of all "Facharbeiten" that are created in Germany. Anything but 15 points would be a joke. You really deserved it. I hope you will either study Physiks or Informatics. Big respect. This is really good work. Keep it up! How much time did it take to build up all this?

nufan^skp^pb

October 03, 2001, 11:40 AM

Nice work, dude.

Lourens Veen

October 03, 2001, 11:43 AM

Wow, that's the best English I've seen from a German in a long time. Keep going!

Dr.Mosh

October 03, 2001, 11:44 AM

Just so people know, Facharbeit = Dissertation

Looks very cool, Im sure it will be helpful to a lot of electronics ppl :)

Aurora

October 03, 2001, 11:57 AM

If this is the kind of education you get in Germany, then my familes moving there yesterday. Most of the high school kids I know here in Colorado barely know how to make it to stupid football games. In fact in my final years in college most of my classmates did not know how to display and print our spectrographs let alone read the raw output and create your own display.
Kudoo's and I would like to add an additional 15 points to your score since its twice the work of a normal person.
Now if your could manipulate those fields in a virtual sim then I know a few people....

Daniel Zuidinga_

October 03, 2001, 12:15 PM

Thx for the second 15 points :-) In fact my teacher gave me 15 points. But don´t think that the education is good in Germany. In my school are very expensive and good computers but no teachers who can control them. Even I can´t have any informatic lessons, because there are only a few people who want to have them:(
There are already some simulation programs in the internet and my aim wasn´t to code an simulation but an application which simplifies the measurement and displaying. IMO it is always better if you prove your calculations by measurements!

kevin james

October 03, 2001, 12:22 PM

If you plan to continue doing these kinds of projects, you might consider buying a cooling fan for your brain.

Krylar

October 03, 2001, 12:23 PM

Nice work. I wish I'd been pushed into doing this type of stuff when I was your age!

Alexander Blach

October 03, 2001, 01:01 PM

Nice work!

I also coded a program as my Facharbeit and I used Delphi, too. But I decided to use OpenGL, as the teacher's computer didn't have DirectX installed (or at least no good drivers). The program displayed lines and planes (and points and triangles) and you could calculate intersections and stuff. (It is used to visualize the exercises in your math book.)

As you said: there are not many pupils interested in computer courses in Germany. I wanted to take computer science but I was about the only one in my grade. Too bad :(

Well - now that I got my "Abitur" I can study computer science at university. It starts in two weeks - hrmm... let's wait and see...

lycium

October 03, 2001, 01:19 PM

our german school here in cape town has attainted the best english scores in the country (south africa) for 4 consecutive years now.

yes, i'm german ;)

it's the americans you should be worrying about...

DirtySouthAfrican

October 03, 2001, 01:35 PM

Actually, you scored second to KwaZulu Natal.

*g*

nufan^skp^pb

October 03, 2001, 01:55 PM

Nearly the same here, we were 5 people taking computer science in the 13th grade, and it would have been canceled if I had not decided to take it in my exams (although I got only 11 points, because my teacher asked questions about the stuff we did in the lessons. Unfortunately these were on friday afternoons and I preferred sleeping :) ).

cgk

October 03, 2001, 02:24 PM

well, what kind of education you are able to get greatly depends on the school you go to.
in my school for example we have two computer science courses (~18ppl each) (GK tho), two physics LK, one chemistry LK, one math LK and one biology LK in grade 13, with only ~70 pupils in this grade alltogether :). We also have "ok" to "really very good" teachers mostly and so on. its of course a free public school also, so our equipment is kinda lame in some respects.

Tobias Franke

October 03, 2001, 02:27 PM

Yap, same here: Had a course with 3 guys and the school staff already wanted to cancel it because there were no more teachers. We got in touch with the university and they helped us out with a professor of applied math, so we went on for cryptography and stuff. Anyway, I'm also on for computer science, where are you going to study Alex?

Tealc

October 03, 2001, 02:54 PM

It seems to me that you don't know many germans, or ??

The only thing that spoils my english is that dumbfucking german
which is also my mother tongue. It's somewhat stupid but we can't get it out of mind, or ???

// Doctor - where're my pills ?? :)

Alexander Blach

October 03, 2001, 04:37 PM

I'm gonna study in Würzburg (Unterfranken). It's the nearest university here and some of my friends are going to study there too. I'm going to matriculate tommorow by the way.

I think I'm gonna take biology as subsidiary subject. (can't wait for those female biology students:)

Alexander Blach

October 03, 2001, 04:39 PM

Oh yeah... I know what you mean :-) (preferring sleep that is)

Ich hab so oft unentschuldigt gefehlt... aber sobald man aus dem Gymnasium ist, scheint das vollkommen egal zu sein.

Manchmal muss man eben Prioritäten setzen und schlafen :)

lycium

October 03, 2001, 06:26 PM

arse, i was hoping to let that one slip by :P

Lars Birkemose

October 03, 2001, 06:38 PM

He.. I live 5 km from the german border, and I know and speak to a lot of germans..
Most of them are nice.. but their english are awfull....

.."Wee hav aur waaayz"..

Lars Birkemose

October 03, 2001, 06:41 PM

So is mine it seems ;O)

Genu

October 03, 2001, 07:41 PM

18... german are still in advance on everyone ;-)

good work

dabion

October 03, 2001, 08:23 PM

First of all...
I resent that colorado remark.

Being that I graduated from high school in colorado, I think I have the right to ;)

In any case... I'd have to say that I'm impressed. Here at WPI, we do something similar, called a Major Qualifying Project (MQP). It is a 3 term process in which you research, and implement something on a large scale.

To see you doing this in your 12th year of school is quite impressive. Keep up the good work. I hope everyone out there recognizes your talent!

Moonbird

October 04, 2001, 05:17 AM

Same here (Hessen).

I made my abi in 2000 and my oral examination (I don't know if I expressed "mündliche Prüfung" right, but if not... :) was in Informatik (==computer science). I made 15 points (full score for all non-germans :), but it was so easy it was a shame. Everything needed was a basic understanding of linked lists and a sorting-algorithm of your choice (!). Our programming language was TurboPascal (no Delphie here!), but I think they are using Java by now.

German (beware!):
Hey Alex, wo studierst du denn? Ich an der TU Darmstadt. Ich hoffe, ich trete dir damit nicht zu nahe, aber es ist doch irgendwie cool, flipcoder auch mal im "richtigen" Leben kennenzulernen =) Irgend-jemand hier, der auch an der TU oder FH studiert?

Moonbird

October 04, 2001, 05:19 AM

Habe gerade gesehen, daß du in Würzburg studierts. Frage ist damit erledigt.

Daniel Zuidinga_

October 04, 2001, 06:09 AM

Can you tell me a little bit more about your MQP?
Do you have a website about it?

nufan^skp^pb

October 04, 2001, 06:49 AM

Moins,
bei mir war es sehr geil, wir haben auf dem Aufgabenzettel in der mündlichen Fraktale (Zeichnen von Sirpinski-Dreiecken, Dimension berechnen, Modifikation eines vorgegebenen Codes, um ein anderes Fraktal darzustellen, etc.) gehabt und dann doppelt verkettete Listen. Hatte ich zu 100% richtig, nur leider waren da erst 7 Minuten um. :) Dann kamen die Fragen über den Unterricht, "Im Unterricht haben wir folgendes gemacht, wie haben wir das gemacht ?" und jedesmal die Antwort, "Ich war da leider nicht anwesend, aber ich hätte das folgendermaßen gemacht ...". :)

Ah ja, ich werde ab Ende 2002 Informatik an der Uni Kiel studieren.

CU

AnitKryst

October 04, 2001, 07:26 AM

well call me a stupid american, but uh what does it do, to what? or do normal people not typicaly understand this stuff? and yes i am as dumb as i look, but hey the pictures are perty... :)