Submitted by STATIC Development Team, posted on September 24, 2001

Image Description, by STATIC Development Team

These screenshots are from a tech demo that we submitted to the IGF competition for our game entitled– "Static". We have worked on this game for about 3 months with a team of 5 people (2 artists, 2 programmers, 1 sound designer).

We used DirectX 8.0 SDK for development in this demo. The main gameplay (character walking around) are 2D sprites on a pre-rendered 3D background. We have come across some trouble using ID3DXSprite instead of the old DirectDraw. We will be changing the way we render the background (still 2d though), and instead use 3d models for the objects and characters. This should reduced the number of images (sprites) required for things such as combat and movement. It can really add up.

You can find the tech demo (warning: 113M), screenshots, concept art and even the current project status on http://www.static-thegame.com.

Thanks,
STATIC Development Team

Slythic

September 24, 2001, 02:19 PM

Very cool.

Vorteks

September 24, 2001, 02:54 PM

Nice. Is this an RPG, or an action game, or something else? It looks like it has great potential.

Manuel Abadia

September 24, 2001, 02:56 PM

Nice screenshots. It looks very professional

Codejoy

September 24, 2001, 03:15 PM

Man, I love seeing stuff like this. When I get home im going to download it. Thanks for the awesome IOTD.

Ucciderlo

September 24, 2001, 03:22 PM

Those screens are absolutely fabulous. Whoever did your pre-rendered backgrounds is an excellent artist! I can't wait to play the game. Good luck to you!

nosebleed

September 24, 2001, 03:32 PM

Looks nice. Very Falloutish.

dEViNiTY

September 24, 2001, 03:56 PM

it's good to see some isometric stuff again like this
bottom-left shot looks wonderfully dramatic
keep it going

Emil

Peter Mackay

September 24, 2001, 04:00 PM

It looks very nice indeed!

- Pete

Lars Birkemose

September 24, 2001, 04:04 PM

Very good looking, cudos to the artists...
113 MB... hmm.... and a virus the other day.... I guess I'll have to pass this one ;O)

n1c_V

September 24, 2001, 04:23 PM

Way cool man! Hope to see a final version soon.

meZmo

September 24, 2001, 04:31 PM

Looks very professional!!

Pabu

September 24, 2001, 05:31 PM

Anyone know how to install the tech demo? I downloaded all 6 pieces of it and then realized it wouldnt put itself together by clicking on the first one. Not sure what to do with it.

Max

September 24, 2001, 05:35 PM

"Anyone know how to install the tech demo? I downloaded all 6 pieces of it and then realized it wouldnt put itself together by clicking on the first one."

You need a RAR tool, like WinRAR.

Max

bdioui

September 24, 2001, 06:36 PM

wow great i'm too i'm working on a 3d game micro machines in 3d.

Peter Mackay

September 24, 2001, 06:45 PM

Hi,

I had a chance to download it and test it out. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work too well on my machine, and bails when trying to show a cinematic.

After renaming the directory with the movies in, it gets to the title screen, but the background is all black, as it is in the game too.

I'm running a Voodoo3, Athlon 1300, Windows 2000.

- Pete

noxa

September 24, 2001, 07:19 PM

hmm I downloaded it as well, and I'm unable to get it working. As soon as I execute the exe, a black box pops up thats about 800x600 at 0,0 and then dissappears right away. Heres what the log file reports:

09/24/01 19:03:15> Failed to open './data/text/items/item005.ini'.
09/24/01 19:03:15> Game Created Successfully.
09/24/01 19:03:16> D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE[Couldn't find a decent mode for backbuffer.](D:GamesInDevPrototypePNRPG13_PNRPGGame.cpp:480)
09/24/01 19:03:16> D3DERR_INVALIDCALL[Cannot create D3DDEVTYPE_HAL device.](D:GamesInDevPrototypePNRPG13_PNRPGGame.cpp:255)
09/24/01 19:03:16> D3DERR_INVALIDCALL[Cannot create D3DDEVTYPE_REF device.](D:GamesInDevPrototypePNRPG13_PNRPGGame.cpp:274)
09/24/01 19:03:16> Err: Failed to initialize the game. (D:GamesInDevPrototypePNRPGWinMain.cpp:36)

My system:
-P3 733 @ 842
-Windows .NET Server build 3541
-ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon PCI as primary display adapter
-Geforce 2 GTS AGP as secondary adapter
-Sound Blaster Live!
-All up to date and stable drivers

any ideas?
Hope this helps!

337

September 24, 2001, 07:44 PM

are you people preserving directory structure when extracting?

xminos

September 24, 2001, 07:52 PM

Hey all!
Im glad you like the shots.
Were REALLY sorry about the size of the download and the requirements. I know its unwieldy, but its the best we could do on such short notice (2.5 months for all dev- from start to finish). The cinematics in the game arent used only as a trailer, but also within the game itself (otherwise we'd place them in a seperate download- which we may still do).
The alpha that we anticipate in November wont be nearly as large, OR as steep requirements.

This game is an RPG with some action elements in it. Yes, there was much inspiration from the Fallout series and some Baldur's Gate sprinkled in there too.

I had a LOT of fun doing the prerenders and the interface. Early on we decided NOT to do tile. Theres something about the control over the environment as a prerendered image that really makes it jump out.

We are planning on moving to 3D models for all the characters and stick with the 2d prerendered bkgd for the final. Our early tests are proving to be quite successful!

Keep checking back to the site, as we update it monthly!
And keep the questions and comments coming! Were also looking for anyone whos interesting in lending a hand.

Thanks again!
William Fox

disableddan

September 24, 2001, 10:54 PM

I like it! The graphix look like Fallout Tactics; the environnements seem a little "post apocolyptic" as well. Very nice work; good luck!!!

Jason Filsinger

September 25, 2001, 12:08 AM

I was just think that this does look a lot like the fallout games (BEST RPG's EVER!!!)
I would download the demo, but it might take me a long time on the connection i have.

Looks VERY nice

Genu

September 25, 2001, 12:22 AM

I like this kind of graphics

Peter Mackay

September 25, 2001, 05:03 AM

Yup. The other graphics show up okay.

Pabu

September 25, 2001, 05:15 AM

thanks, that worked :D

Pabu

September 25, 2001, 05:18 AM

It ran great on my system:

PIII 600
512mb RAM
GeForce2 GTS 32mb RAM

My only complaint would be that its too short. I passed the level in about 30 seconds and it was over. But the graphics were top notch and I was very impressed. I'm excited to see the finished product.

Moonbird

September 25, 2001, 05:50 AM

The interface and icons (especially the inventory stuff) look very similar to Fallout if you ask me. But hey, I love(d) Fallout and your lighting and scenery seem to be much better. I would really like to see a strongly Fallout-inspired game without all those nasty little bugs that killed some of the extremely dense atmosphere of that all-time classic. Personally I'd take away some of Baldurs Gate's freedom and instead would straighten the storyline more like in Final Fantasy, but that's just personal taste.

If your game turns out to be as good as it promises to be, I'll by a copy (as long as you sell to germany... :)!

Moonbird

September 25, 2001, 06:41 AM

I'll buy it of course :)
So get it finished! :)

Wa Kan

September 25, 2001, 09:53 AM

Hi Pete

Because we are using DirectX 8.0 graphics, all the images being loaded are subject to the texture size limit. Unfortunately, for Voodoo3, that size is 256x256 (GeForce 2 is 2048x2048). That limitation is set by the video card.

And because we get a tight development schedule (for IGF competition), we have been ignoring this problem. When we get some breathing room, we will make Static work on wider range of hardware.

13thAngel

Wa Kan

September 25, 2001, 10:03 AM

Hi noxa,

I'm fairly sure that Static won't run on some of ATI All-in-Wonder. As a matter of fact, the only video card that we have tested on are GeForce 2, GeForce 3 and Voodoo 5500. (Voodoo 3000 would unfortunately not work properly due to the 256x256 texture limit).

We will try to make it works on more variety of platform when we get some breathing room from the tight development schedule.

13thAngel

Peter Mackay

September 25, 2001, 10:31 AM

I've had similar things in the project I'm working on. Basically I use a 512x512 font texture for cards that can handle it, and a lower res one for the rest.

It's a shame really, as the 512x512 one looks a lot crisper.

The project looks really cool. I've got a GeForce card on the way, so I'll try it out again when it arrives.

Good work!

- Pete

Scott Velasquez

September 25, 2001, 12:10 PM

Good job guys. I'll be looking forward to seeing/playing the finished product at GDC. Good luck!