Submitted by Lasse S. Jensen, posted on September 21, 2001

Image Description, by Lasse S. Jensen

Here's a few images from my and Robert Golias water research presented at Game Developers Conference Europe. Check out the following site for more images, paper(s) and slides:

Hope you all enjoy it...and of course don't hesitate with feedback, questions etc...Flipcode rules :-)

Cheers,
-Lasse S. Jensen, Da Technical Manager/Funcom

phueppl

September 21, 2001, 05:51 PM

Do you have some relatives called Carmack or so? it's really beautiful. I hope I'll be able to do something like that someday... It's probably got a fully physics engine, so the wind changes the waves and it runs on a 486.. right? ;ppp

great work!

cya,
Phil

meZmo

September 21, 2001, 06:02 PM

Amazing!!!

I guess we'll see these screenshots again in Midgard? ;-)

RCV

September 21, 2001, 06:39 PM

Very nice, its the best water I have seen for sure.. Would love to see a running demo of it, even if its just an divX.

Laurent MASCHERPA

September 21, 2001, 06:39 PM

Oh my god, that's so impressive !
I don't want to know how it works, please don't speak, just watch,... and dream...
Glad to see such creativity,...

Sanx

.-wXm-.

September 21, 2001, 06:44 PM

... gaaah ...

.-wXm-.

September 21, 2001, 06:48 PM

and a second later the sound of crackle.. it was my jaw hitting the floor :)..

bwalmisley

September 21, 2001, 07:04 PM

I too, would definately love to see a DivX of this, if only to see how the water moves.

Benedict

Hiro Protagonist

September 21, 2001, 07:23 PM

Okay, so I have one descrepency. In the image with the boat, the wake (trough) left behind the boat looks extemely deep. It appears that he is travelling at around 100 knots. =) Is this trough computed by the speed of the boat, displacement of the boat etc?
If not, can you explain briefly how it is computed?

Roch Denis

September 21, 2001, 10:29 PM

Woah, I cant even guess how it was done. *Start reading*

Qirk

September 21, 2001, 11:07 PM

whoaaa bener-bener gila !!!
is this realtime ? how many fps?
hmmmm...downloading the papers now :)

zed zeek

September 22, 2001, 12:00 AM

looks fing cool esp the stormy seas, im guessing youre treating the water surface like a piece of cloth. sweet as, its gonna require a few triangles though mate

dArktEmplAr

September 22, 2001, 04:28 AM

amazing especially 1 and 3. I can't connect to the site www.swrendering.com. Is it there?

Mace

September 22, 2001, 04:54 AM

wow, so Waverace for GC have some graphical competition after all ;)

Scrowubit

September 22, 2001, 05:47 AM

Nehe has a hieghtmap tutorial on his site.

richard

September 22, 2001, 06:10 AM

Wow!

This stuff is better than Doom 3 :P

Dšnde

September 22, 2001, 08:02 AM

WE ARE UNWORTHY !

_torus

September 22, 2001, 09:54 AM

How true..

That stuff looks amazing.

But for something different. Some month ago I got a gamasutra newsletter which pointed me to a american company who did a water library. I'm not sure, but I think it's a spinoff from the guys who did the water for titanic. That stuff runs in realtime and was amazing (comparable to the images above, but I saw them in motion, so I'm more stunned by the old stuff).

It was a library one could license and use in games. Anyone knows how the company was called? I want to show the stuff to a friend, but I can't find the old link anymore.

Nils

Lasse S. Jensen

September 22, 2001, 01:15 PM

First off all: On behalf of by self and Robert: Thanks a lot for the positive feedback! Second: I had an ugly virus (http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32hybrisb.html) in the Primitives.zip file on my site, but this is fixed now (I hope)...sorry about that one, and thanks to all that kindly mailed me about it.

OK, now for your questions:

1. exe or avi; Well, I'll guess it boils down to what our company gives us authority to doÖI will do my best to try to give you all some nice running shots, but canít promise anything! Btw, I canít confirm anything about Midgard, but letís just say itís not a bad guess :-)
2. Performance numbers: depends a lot on detail of course, i.e. FFT gridsize, number of iterations for the integration (ODE solving), density of water patches, use of ps etc, etc., but in general most of the stuff you see in the screenshots runs 15-40fps on my PIII450 with GeForce3. Iím not to positive to share specific numbers at the moments, since itís not optimised yet...
3. Nils: Yes I have seen the lib in actionÖitís based on the FFT method, but itís not that good rendered IMHO although the animation is niceÖIíll post the link later when I find it again.
- Lasse

dan_g

September 22, 2001, 01:19 PM

amazing screenshots!

Hiro Protagonist

September 22, 2001, 04:11 PM

3Dpipeline out of La Jolla, CA has a waterFX library that in my opinion looks very good. I don't recall seeing them on Gamasutra or GameDev but its still worth checking out.

dom

September 22, 2001, 06:20 PM

yep, i've gotta second all the opinions here. fkin amazing. truly brilliant. never seen anything like it. definately, EXE is needed though.

Eoin

September 22, 2001, 09:16 PM

That library mentioned a while back is called WaterFX by 3DPipeLine: www.3dpipeline.com
They also have a short white-paper on the technology on their site.

Eoin.