Submitted by Bruno Cesteiro, posted on September 17, 2001

Image Description, by Bruno Cesteiro

This picture is from an Engine i'm making.., When it's done it will be used for a game me and some friends are planning to do for quite some time.

The outdoor rendering is handled by a quadtree, indoor is a portal engine. There are two types of possible structures on the landscape, structures that have a connection to an indoor level, and structures that don't have a connection.

This structures are stored at the quadtree nodes. As a result the engine can have connections to any number of indoor levels. I'm currently optimizing the engine to be faster.., collision detection( on the outdoor) is eating lot's of processing power and it's not very precise.. to check it, just stop moving while in the landscape to see the fps increase.

well, that's it, hope you like it It has been tested on Gf1/2/3 and it runs ok read the text file attached as there are several options on the console More screenshots and a download at my webpage

Bruno

BigB

September 18, 2001, 04:48 AM

Qirk:

I'm doing it in the same way you are, one building for indoor and another one for outdoor.

disableddan:

The effects you see in this screenshot is just lightmaps and a particle engine.However in some other parts of the world you may be able to see dynamic lightmaps/dynamic per-pixel lightning.

Waramp:

1. I know what you mean, but i'm not sure if that's a problem, because you go up a little step when you get inside.

2. That happens because when i created the buildings i used diferent light positions for the indoor building and for the outdoor building. For the lightmaps to match i would need to use the same lights for both buildings wich i didn't.

3. I still have some bug hunt to do.

Kurt has updated my description with the link to the page.

thanks everyone,

Bruno

freakyboy

September 18, 2001, 05:33 AM

nice demo!

runs quite good on my pII 350mhz and geforce II (ca. 50 fps) and it didn't crash :)

i'm developping a quite similar engine like yours, and what really drives me crazy is collision detection with terrain, abitary meshes and even bsp's (although i think i won't use BSP in the final). what's your collision method? your method seems quite stable, but you have to add some physics so motion gets a "bit" smoother ;)

keep up the good work!

freakyboy

MgFun

September 18, 2001, 06:01 AM

Jap... when I go under water my computer crashes (I Started the demo with default settings)

Win2K, GMX2 (Hercules)

kewldude

September 18, 2001, 12:20 PM

Hehe, i've bought every program i own, i just dont know why all the cd's say Kodak and Verbatim.

Kinder Supporter

September 18, 2001, 01:06 PM

I use cracked version of VC6, so please kill me now
Its much harder to get legal version here, and I can only imagine its price ...

Can I just create a free game and this way to pay for it ?:)

Nice game, but I cant find the source... its probably in few places - one in quake site and other in landscape
but anyway ... nice work.

BigB

September 18, 2001, 02:22 PM

Hi

The collision system i'm using is a simple ray/triangle collision.
It' kind of slow because of the way i'm handling gravity. I'm shooting a ray from the camera position to the floor until i find something., when i find i just add a constant value to the current camera position.., anyways if you want more details just e-mail me.
take care,

Bruno

=[Scarab]=

September 18, 2001, 04:00 PM

I use cracked version of VC6, so please kill me now
Its much harder to get legal version here, and I can only imagine its price ...

Can I just create a free game and this way to pay for it ?:)

I truly can't see why anyone here in the IOTD would want to know that. :)

kusma

September 19, 2001, 09:23 AM

use mingw...

or, with a nice IDE http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html