Submitted by Miles Vignol, posted on September 15, 2001

Image Description, by Miles Vignol

This is a game I've been developing for the past few months that is nearly complete. It's my first go at a "real" game and the first time I've used openGL. I'm hoping to complete it soon and move onto a new project or get a job, whichever comes first.

I started out using NeHe's basecode to get up and running, then switched to GLUT and openAL for cross-platform compatibility, then finally switched to SDL which has been very nice. I let openGL do all the drawing and SDL handle all the other stuff (keyboard input, timer events, sound, etc.).

The game was written in C using Microsoft's Visual Studio 6.0. The beta is available at:

I'd be curious to learn how fast it runs on various machines.

Mastaba

September 17, 2001, 01:06 AM

Exits to desktop after I press space bar. Win98, 700 MHz Duron, TNT.

bluestone

September 17, 2001, 03:30 AM

I am suprised. Are you dark colony fanatic? fonts, especially explosions are same as is. Only the diffrence is in 3D.
Good work , keep on going.

George Ziniewicz

September 17, 2001, 10:11 AM

It also exited for me, so I scanned for all sdl.dll's on my system, found 5 of them, the 198k one worked, from a gltron download.

zin

T0ad

September 17, 2001, 11:05 AM

Look cool but I can't try it because I'm a mac guy.

On a side note, does anybody have some good OpenAL documentation with examples? From what I saw at the site it kinda sucks.

T0ad

Hikey

September 17, 2001, 01:30 PM

Look cool but I can't try it because I'm a mac guy.

Err, if you had a look at his web site, there is a "Mac Guys" version for you to try.

Very cool game, I try the early version back when it was using NeHe basecode and you did a lot of improvements, very nice. Try to have a go with all the suggestions Machin Shin made, would make a really great game.

It's good to see a cross platform as well, when do you make a ps2 version ? (:

meduzza

September 17, 2001, 01:45 PM

Very nice! I love "top" and "inside" camera modes.

T0ad

September 17, 2001, 02:10 PM

Oh wow, there is a mac version. I saw Visual Studio and said "Damn". I'll try it out later tonight.

T0ad.

Ucciderlo

September 17, 2001, 02:14 PM

Cool! I tried it out yesterday and it worked just fine. P4 1.8Ghz, 512M Ram, GeForce 3.

and, I made it to level 7!!! :) weeee!

Good job on your game. I love the explosions, especially the particle system you have for the debris and smoke. Very well done. I've been so happy with the IOTDs lately since we have begun to see alot more finished projects. Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see something else from you. I'm impressed by how fluid the game play is. If this is truly just your second project, my hat is off to you. You have great potential.

Ucciderlo

September 17, 2001, 02:16 PM

Oh, and before I get pooped on with comments like, "well, no wonder the gameplay was fluid, you have a really fast system!", I also tried it on my old PII 450Mhz with GeForce 2 MX and 64M RAM. :) Still ran fluid. :)

Ant

September 17, 2001, 03:42 PM

Excellent game I think. As previously suggested, it think a bigger playing field would be cool. But what I really think this game needs is the ability to scrafe left and right. Maybe you can make it a power up?? BTW, worked fine for me except I could only see the barrels when I bumped into them. I was able to see the shadows of the barrels all the time though. Relevant specs: PIII with a Raedon 64MB in Win 2000. (Am I the only one that went against the flow and bought ATI instead of Nvidia?)

fathom

September 17, 2001, 08:27 PM

Thanks everybody. I was away this weekend, or I'd have gotten entered this message when it was more timely.

I guess a lot of people have d/l'd it cuz my free personal site has hit it's bandwidth limit for the month! DOH! Oh well.

For those of you that crashed out when trying to run, make sure that you've only got the latest version of the SDL.DLL. I would include it with the .zip but the license agreement seems to prevent this (unless I include the source).

I discovered that game reset problem and have fixed it, but I didn't think it was major enough to make a new release for. I also accidentally left on the "debug" keys. "v" is one of them. I suppose I could implement keys to toggle the radar and other settings and then document them. If you're bored, you can hit "q" to stop the game and "w" to resume. While paused, "space" will increment the game by 10ms. Also, "t", "y", "u", "i", "o", and "p" will control the camera position relative to the player tank.

As for game-play. I'm always interested in what people like or don't like. The Rebound power-up is certainly a two-edged sword. I may remove it completely since it tends to be more a nuissance than a help. Also, I've thought about some additional information for the user -- namely how many enemies are left and what current power-ups are active. Since these are tanks, I'm hesitant to include strafing as a control mode. I realize they're hovering now, but I'm leaning towards changing that to conventional tanks. I'm definitely going to add more enemies and AI's and I have been thinking about how to modify the terrain to include other objects. The way I'm implementing shadows and ground lighting is a cheat, tho, that only works for reasonably flat terrain so I'll have to rework this if I make things too hilly.

The latest linux build should happen soon. It's just a matter of getting linux up on my new machine or copying my project back to my old machine. Apparently there's a problem with my linking, tho, in that it links with libGLcore.so.1. I believe this is not something I link with explicitly, but I could be wrong.

Mastaba

September 18, 2001, 11:04 AM

I tried several versions of SDL, including the latest, and none stopped it from exiting upon hitting the space bar. What explicit version of SDL is to be used?