Submitted by Miles Vignol, posted on September 15, 2001

Image Description, by Miles Vignol

This is a game I've been developing for the past few months that is nearly complete. It's my first go at a "real" game and the first time I've used openGL. I'm hoping to complete it soon and move onto a new project or get a job, whichever comes first.

I started out using NeHe's basecode to get up and running, then switched to GLUT and openAL for cross-platform compatibility, then finally switched to SDL which has been very nice. I let openGL do all the drawing and SDL handle all the other stuff (keyboard input, timer events, sound, etc.).

The game was written in C using Microsoft's Visual Studio 6.0. The beta is available at:

I'd be curious to learn how fast it runs on various machines.

TechBucket

September 15, 2001, 05:51 PM

Are those texture compression artifacts I can see, or are you using 8bpp textures?

shahar2k

September 15, 2001, 06:04 PM

wow, this is actually a lot of fun heh you should incorporate a few "crates" into the game too, and have little scientists try and take them from you, kind of like the opposite in these FPS games where people will destroy any and every crate/barrel they see, but try and keep the scientists alive....

Max

September 15, 2001, 06:05 PM

Wow, this is nicely done. The only thing that didn't really appeal to me was the camera. I think if the camera was a little higher (looking more downwards) and didn't always stay perfectly behind the player it would be more visually pleasing.

Max

Neil Witcomb

September 15, 2001, 06:29 PM

Looks good, wish I could actually complete something :)

Just wondering if there are problems with you including the SDL dll's that are required in the download you have? I'm not sure if there are legal implications or anything but that may make things easier for some of us.

Dean Harding

September 15, 2001, 07:06 PM

Yeah, I think you should include sdl.dll in your download. It'd make things a lot easiers for peopel who don't already have it...

I love your explosions, they looks really nice!!

Peter Mackay

September 15, 2001, 07:10 PM

Looks great! I'll download it and see what it's like!

Tristan

September 15, 2001, 08:11 PM

cool game, but there seems to be a bug when you reset the game (only power ups appear, no barrels, no enemies)

Garett Bass

September 15, 2001, 09:49 PM

Nice work! I really enjoyed playing your game :)

.-wXm-.

September 15, 2001, 11:21 PM

Realy nice and fun.
One thing.
I couldnt get it in to fullscreen mode.
is it just for me or for all ??

Kris

September 16, 2001, 12:08 AM

The exe started for me but when I hit space to start a game it just shuts off with no error message. I have a p4 1.5gz geforce 2 ultra, with 256 megs of ram.

Kris

Anes Lihovac

September 16, 2001, 01:50 AM

Looks nice. Cannot test it, cause I only run Linux. Maybe you could
join the SDL Game Contest! www.linuxgames.com

Regards
paines

=[Scarab]=

September 16, 2001, 02:49 AM

I have the same problem as Kris. I've got an AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1 GHz and when I press space the game exits without a message as well. I'm guessing it has something to do with the insane speed of our systems? :P

AblazeSpace

September 16, 2001, 03:37 AM

The same problem as Kris and Scarab...
Got an P3-667 Mhz and an slow TNT2... so it couldn't be the insane speed of our systems :(
Maybe we have got a wrong SDL.dll version??

I remeber that I already played an older version of that game and it runs without problems and it was extreme amazing!!
Keep up the good work!!

Lourens Veen

September 16, 2001, 03:41 AM

http://www.libsdl.org/license.html shows the license agreement for SDL. Quote:

"The Simple DirectMedia Layer library is currently available under the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL) version 2 or newer. This license allows you to link with the library in such a way that users can modify the library and have your application use the new version. (...) The most common way to comply with the license is to dynamically link with SDL, and then include the SDL source code and appropriate notices with your application."

The LGPL states that:

"4. You may copy and distribute the Library (or a portion or derivative of it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange."

So, there you go. You can distribute the SDL DLL, provided that you also include its sources. Please do read the LGPL for the specifics though.

Jan Niestadt

September 16, 2001, 04:01 AM

Celeron 466 with a GeForce2 MX, same problem as the above..

Machin Shin

September 16, 2001, 04:36 AM

Wow, this game kicks ass .. it's a lot of fun..
and the great thing is, you can do *SO MUCH MORE* with it ..
lemme suggest a few things i came up w/ off the top of my head ..

1) larger playfield, with more terrain variety (hills & whatnot)

2) mulitple playfields, atm i see there is only 1 .. (related to above)

3) more types of ai , atm i think there are only 2..
    type a) goes straight for the barrels..
    type b) goes straight towards attacking you ..
----maybe there could be some kinda flocking behaviors?

4) powerups ..
    a)how about automated weapons i could place on the ground that could
        1) target enemies (rarer kind)
        2) continue firing in a specified direction .. (chosen by me, or at random?)
----course this could become too easy for me if i can have
----more than prolly 2 or 3 ..
    b) a 'powerups list' that would tell me at a glance which powerups i currently had .. sometimes it's easy to lose track ..
    c) some kinda laser shot, that would fire across the board, and take out all enemies in it's way .. (this isn't really necessary i suppose, but lasers always look cool :) )
    d) ability to pick up the barrels myself, so i can move them back to the middle when they get taken before i can destroy the enemy tank..

btw, how soon 'til you think you'll have it on linux.. as you site said that you'll be porting it to linux .. (how hard can it be? ;) .. you're already using sdl & opengl :) )

as i said, this game is a lotta fun, and it's absolutely fabulous that you got a complete game here, that's playable and everything, it's a rare thing, i'm just suggesting a few possible improvements..

enjoy ..

--vat

Tobias Franke

September 16, 2001, 07:39 AM

Yap, same prob as the others, it just shuts off.

Specs:
PII 333
GF 2 GTS
196 RAM

Octopussy

September 16, 2001, 07:40 AM

Here is the message given when it crashes for me :

...
openGL driver: NVIDIA Corporation
Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)

I have AMD Athlon 750 + TNT2 + Win98

Octopussy

September 16, 2001, 08:01 AM

I try using BoundChecker with it and now it works very well.. no more crash after hitting the space key. It runs very slowly, just 15 FPS, but because of BoundChecker I think.

FireFoX

September 16, 2001, 10:23 AM

Looks very nice, keep up the good work!

(after playing it)

That game is just pure FUN! I like it very much! Again, keep up the good work.

FireFoX

September 16, 2001, 10:26 AM

Oh, game runs fine here (65 fps avg.):

Athlon 1 GHz, Geforce 2, 128 mb

Moonbird

September 16, 2001, 10:45 AM

Very cool. Finally I see someone else using SDL instead of OS-specific APIs. I think SDL is really cool to program with, especially compared to WinAPI. Why are you coding in C?

Matt

September 16, 2001, 11:29 AM

This is very cool.
I *really* like the explosions. I played the game for about 10 minutes just to see more of them :)

Richard D Shank

September 16, 2001, 02:15 PM

Same as the others, press the space bar and it ends.

I have
Athlon 1gHz
TNT2 AGP4 64Meg
256 mb Ram
Win 98

dEViNiTY

September 16, 2001, 03:14 PM

not bad
try implementing a little more complex worlds now
like with heightmaps or brushes or something. and don't forget a realistic lighting system.

keep it up
Emil

MadCow

September 16, 2001, 04:37 PM

Nice game.

You might want to document somewhere the function of the keys. Eg. that you can change view by pressing 'v'. I think the top view is the best for this game.

I could not get the game to run in fullscreen.
The game runs on 16 fps on my PIII 500Mhz, TNT2, 192 MB ram.

Greets,
Jens-Christian

elikez

September 16, 2001, 06:58 PM

I can't believe I'm the first to say this:
It palys like a 3d x-bill!

(ps. did anyone get past level 5?)

dan_g

September 16, 2001, 07:05 PM

Crashes to desktop after I press spacebar...I'm using Windows 98SE and have a pentium III 500mhz, geforce 256, 384 ram, and SDL 1.2.2

[-WD40-]

September 16, 2001, 11:18 PM

Very nice game, good idea, good graphics, sounds...you got it all! But the area is somewhat limited, a larger area with maybe some buildings in it would help making a game that last longer. Anyway I've reached the level 7, it's easy when you have only 1 barrel left to defend. one more thing that is annoying, when using a R powerup (rebound) I keep killing myself because my bullets come back hitting me all tha time, espacially with a S powerup (scatter)

incinx