Submitted by Vlad Andreev, posted on September 10, 2001

Image Description, by Vlad Andreev

With all the references to 'programmer art' as of late, I figured I would submit some of my own. This is a compilation of three drawings I did at work, generally while waiting for people to check in their code so that I could check in mine. These were all done in MS Paint and PaintShop Pro (MS Paint to draw the outlines and fill in solid colors, PaintShop Pro to do everything else). All handdrawn with a mouse and standard tools (lighten/darken/soften/smudge, etc). No filters, except for the mosaic filter on the old guy. The old guy's raincoat type thing and hand are severely unfinished, I basically ran out of time on that one and never got back to it, so they're basically a placeholder. The old guy and the gothy looking chick went through a series of transformations, the old guy was originally dead, but now he looks more or less alive. Still got some signs of decay though. He lost his earlobes somewhere along the line, and I think he's a little concerned about that, hence the wistful look on his face. The goth girl originally looked like the guy from Rocky Horror Picture Show, and was briefly a vampire, before taking on the form in this picture. She later changed into a summer goddess type creature with leafy skin and green hair, but that one's still very unfinished. The mask is the only drawing here that I started out knowing what I was going for and ended up with exactly what I wanted.

-goltrpoat

Ogotay

September 11, 2001, 02:52 PM

Ooops, I see ;).
Anyways, I am looking forward for it :).

TheRain

September 11, 2001, 02:53 PM

WOOHOOO HE HAHAHA! Wait a minute... what is this guy talking about??

Ogotay

September 11, 2001, 02:55 PM

Argh, I am too confused right now. I thought it was luther2k not you Tobias... my fault... just skip my last post *G*.

deks

September 11, 2001, 03:42 PM

test

Tobias Franke

September 11, 2001, 03:48 PM

Wow, you seem to be "really" out of your mind ;)

Predator

September 11, 2001, 06:42 PM

Super cool !

Seems like expressionism combined with surrealism !

Keep up the good work !

PS. I sure want to see a game with graphics like that ! All that 3d stuff is starting to get sold-out !

goltrpoat

September 11, 2001, 06:48 PM

Hey, I remember seeing those somewhere. Was your nick ACiD, or were you actually *in* ACiD Productions?

-goltrpoat

[-WD40-]

September 11, 2001, 09:19 PM

Looks like there should be a DOTD (drawing of the day) or AOTD (art of the day) now :) It would like fill in the gap between code and art. And why not a TOTD (texture of the day) for all our texture need?...and while we're at it...let's make a MOTD (model of the day) and then the site will be the best game/graphics programming/art of the world!

Mystic

September 11, 2001, 11:40 PM

Nice pics! the animals look so real... very impressive

the waterfall reminds me of stuff from the old YES record album covers... i cant remember his name... ooooh its gonna drive me crazy...

Cranos

September 12, 2001, 12:08 AM

Or how about just a more generalized MOTD (media of the day)? That way you could combine the texture, drawing, art, whatever. Perhaps provide the original model/image file, and make them all avaliable for educational/non-commercial use by fellow flipcoders in their demos. If we accumulated a database of media this way, we could put a stop to bad programmer's art altogether! :)

...well, I thought it was a good idea...

-C

Raspberry

September 12, 2001, 04:06 AM

"fps is a bit low, dont like the pop-up, and you can really see the tesselation of the bezier patches"
;)

Pants

September 12, 2001, 05:16 AM

That IS a good idea!

Ogotay

September 12, 2001, 05:39 AM

Nope, you must have mistaked me with someone else (?). And I only showed these pics to VERY few private people. So if you think you saw them somewhere else please let me know, so that I can kick the "someone's" a** for stealing my err... art :(.

Ogotay

September 12, 2001, 05:41 AM

But to answer your question, my nick WAS Acid (but not ACiD), however I doubt I am the ACiD you are looking for :).

L.e.Denninger

September 12, 2001, 10:46 AM

yeah, this is real game-development!

xEricx

September 12, 2001, 02:43 PM

Those are great!

If the top left pic is Jason Newsted, then I guess the middle one is James Hetfield... cause the beard looks like James' old style. Anyway, if so, when / during what song have you seen James holding a mic? I mean, all the live shots / videos i've seen from MetallicA, James always played guitar with both hands... anyway I might be wrong :)

Thanks

Eric

goltrpoat

September 12, 2001, 02:52 PM

ACiD Productions is an old art/music/cracking group..

Anyway, I'm sure I've seen those before.. could've been that I was one of the people you showed it to under a different nick.

-goltrpoat

Ogotay

September 12, 2001, 03:02 PM

Thanks :).
Well, the two drawings of Metallica band members were inspired by two photos of them I had once. In the period between the Black Album and (iiik) Load, James Hetfield was seen few times only singing, without a guitar. I guess it was when Metallica began to experiment, and we all see, how it ended... ;)

Ogotay

September 12, 2001, 03:04 PM

Well, although I don't think so, who knows ;). I rather believe, you seen somewhere similiar drawings a while ago, and confused them with mine. Otherwise... at least I can PROVE they are mine, I still have the originals. And I can make another ones as well ;).

xEricx

September 12, 2001, 03:06 PM

Ahhh! man, that's when James got burnt (dunno if it's spelled right) in Montreal while playing Fade to Black... he couldn't play guitar for a while, so he only sang. I'm from Montreal's South Shore, I wish I could have attend to that show, but my mom didn't let me go, I was 12 at this time. That's a luck cause the show turned into a riot right after that (Axl Rose stopped singing after like a 15 mins set and then James got injured...)

Thanks for the memories

Awesome art also!

Ogotay

September 12, 2001, 03:16 PM

I think I heard something about it... I thought it was a laser that burned the skin on his face, or something?

goltrpoat

September 12, 2001, 03:46 PM

No, it was a magnesium fountain, 3000 degrees Fahrenheit, that went off from under him (he stepped into it, more or less). They had to get off the stage obviously, James had like.. chunks of burnt flesh hanging off him. Axl Rose proceeded to be a bitch and left the stage 15 minutes after they started, which resulted in a riot.

-goltrpoat

stefpet

September 12, 2001, 04:23 PM

This thread is turning out really interesting and I think I'll contribute... A while ago I went through some old Amiga disks and found some old graphics I made mostly in the years between 90 and 93. I put them up on a webpage so I wouldn't lose them...

Have a look at this url and say what you think...

(please note that I'm working as a programmer, I'm not an artist and have never worked as one)

Flous

September 12, 2001, 04:36 PM

Yeah, bitchin', that's Axl allright...

Damn shame, it would have been cool if Gn'R was still kicking ass in it's original line-up...

Hehe, reading this, my bad-ass self is coming alive again...

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAH, YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARRRRRRRRRE???? YOU'RE IN THE JUNGLE BABY, YOU'RE GONNA DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

sry, couldn't help myself, now let's get back to being a nice little coder ;)

goltrpoat

September 12, 2001, 05:04 PM

heh, I remember you I think. Stefan, right? I don't remember what group you were in, but the nick and the groups ring a bell. I was pGeist on efnet #coders (and ircnet #coders after ircnet split off from efnet in 96 or whatever it was).
Anyway.. EA needs to like.. release DeluxePaint2000 or something.

-goltrpoat

luther2k

September 12, 2001, 06:50 PM

looks like I'm loosing the plot too; Nicholas, it you're reading, sorry for getting you mixed up with somebody else!

Tim.

Mathew Milizia

September 12, 2001, 11:31 PM

Great image if you don't do art, but don't quit your day job...

goltrpoat

September 12, 2001, 11:58 PM

Whew, finally.

luther2k

September 14, 2001, 09:58 AM

Roger Dean is the name of the artist behind the Yes covers. Rodney Mathew's pictures inspired a lot of my earlier paintings (his style is similar, in some ways, to Roger Dean) but the waterfall is more Patrick Woodcroft than anybody else. The worst thing about that picture are the trees in the background; since then, I've developed a few more successful methods of painting trees :)

Tim.