Submitted by Vlad Andreev, posted on September 10, 2001

Image Description, by Vlad Andreev

With all the references to 'programmer art' as of late, I figured I would submit some of my own. This is a compilation of three drawings I did at work, generally while waiting for people to check in their code so that I could check in mine. These were all done in MS Paint and PaintShop Pro (MS Paint to draw the outlines and fill in solid colors, PaintShop Pro to do everything else). All handdrawn with a mouse and standard tools (lighten/darken/soften/smudge, etc). No filters, except for the mosaic filter on the old guy. The old guy's raincoat type thing and hand are severely unfinished, I basically ran out of time on that one and never got back to it, so they're basically a placeholder. The old guy and the gothy looking chick went through a series of transformations, the old guy was originally dead, but now he looks more or less alive. Still got some signs of decay though. He lost his earlobes somewhere along the line, and I think he's a little concerned about that, hence the wistful look on his face. The goth girl originally looked like the guy from Rocky Horror Picture Show, and was briefly a vampire, before taking on the form in this picture. She later changed into a summer goddess type creature with leafy skin and green hair, but that one's still very unfinished. The mask is the only drawing here that I started out knowing what I was going for and ended up with exactly what I wanted.

-goltrpoat

Slythic

September 10, 2001, 04:48 PM

Cool.

maddoc

September 10, 2001, 05:07 PM

Are you sure you are a programmer?! =)
Looks impressive! esp. this old guy!
Reminds me on the demo-scene

Machin Shin

September 10, 2001, 05:56 PM

wow, golt..
you sure you wanna keep coding? maybe you could make it as
an artist :) ..

--vat

DirtySouthAfrican

September 10, 2001, 06:24 PM

All drawn with a mouse? Geez!

STZ

September 10, 2001, 06:35 PM

Love Aliens

Jan Niestadt

September 10, 2001, 06:37 PM

Okay, I'm not going to say it, and neither are any of you, even though the voices in our heads tell us to. We can beat this thing.

Instead, I'll just say that it's a nice non-programming shot, and I'd like to be able to draw like that. Groovy!

P.S. If you don't know what the hell I'm on about, all the better.

STZ

September 10, 2001, 06:39 PM

Hate Aliens

EGreg

September 10, 2001, 07:24 PM

LOOKS VERY IMPRESSIVE especially for a mouse! Tell me, give me some tips on how to use a mosue to sketch, because mine is not very controllable, I like a stylus pen and tablet more, if I had one of course would be even nicer ;-)

-Greg

Rectilinear Cat

September 10, 2001, 08:50 PM

Awesome!

Oztan

September 10, 2001, 08:54 PM

ROFL, hahahamuhahaha

goltrpoat

September 10, 2001, 09:16 PM

Thanks, didn't really expect that reaction :)

maddoc - yes I'm pretty sure I'm a programmer :)

machin - that'd be cool, but I don't think anyone's going to hire me as an artist.

greg - my mouse isn't very controllable either, a standard two button ball mouse, not optic. Basically, I found that making long aggressive strokes and then cutting out the things that arent supposed to be there using the zoom tool works well for outlines. Once the outline is done, I fill it with the base colors for every region, use the darken and lighten tools in Paintshop to do the lighting and go from there.

-goltrpoat

DirtyPunk

September 10, 2001, 11:56 PM

But, if you became an artist, you would be an artist that doesn't give in textures that are super high res, non power of 2 edges using the wrong bit depth and a lossy compression format :) That would be something indeed to see.

goltrpoat

September 11, 2001, 12:21 AM

HAHAH indeed. All the programmers would be buying me beer and writing tools for me and doing my dishes and stuff :). I'd be the highest paid texture artist in the western hemisphere (that doesn't say much).

-goltrpoat

lycium

September 11, 2001, 12:49 AM

very cool pics, respect for using paint! ;)

Mystic

September 11, 2001, 12:52 AM

Definately cool!
The old guy looks really good...

nice work with shading, really comes out at ya...

speaking of programmer art, here's my favorite pic i made freshman year
(no filters... just a bored friday night).

Mystic

September 11, 2001, 12:55 AM

p.s. i forgot, i used the twirl on the middle (as you can plainly see). but basically all done with the gradient tool, mixing and matching greyscale, then going back to add color later.

Lion V

September 11, 2001, 01:15 AM

Dude, you need to get a job as a artist.
I`m serious. Thats ----ing good.
The abstract twirls okay.
How`d you gt the shading, btw ?
~V'lion

Kippesoep

September 11, 2001, 01:38 AM

Where's the link?

goltrpoat

September 11, 2001, 01:42 AM

Whoa, that looks fun. Do a lot of acid your freshman year? :)

Thunderbird

September 11, 2001, 02:03 AM

He probably did shading using layers and making them semi-transparent, my guess anyways.

Anyways, very nice picture. I especially like your lightma.... RESIST GOD-**** IT RESIST!

I love your pictures, very nice artwork. I wish I could draw that good.

luther2k

September 11, 2001, 07:06 AM

Nice pics, it's good to see programmers who aren't afraid to draw. The whole art/science division is artificial anyway, perpetuated by the ingrained prejudices of people who like to put themselves in boxes.
On a similar note, I've got a whole site full of 'programmer art':

Tim.

chrisbk

September 11, 2001, 07:10 AM

This IOTD is a shot of what programmer art REALLY is :)

Thomas Young

September 11, 2001, 08:16 AM

haha some of you draw so well, maybe we need to ask instead if you are writing 'artistcode' on the side :)

Tobias Franke

September 11, 2001, 08:40 AM

Love it! If there wouldn't be so damn less time to spend I'd grab my drawings and start to produce something similar, but unfortunatly my Photoshop knowledge is just good enough to do homepage graphics. Anyway, Luther, I still remember your page (got the link when I've meet you the first time at the Lionhead board), great stuff! There seem to be a lot of coders who are able to do art without a compiler. Just had a look at flyingislands.co.uk from where I got the source for my tutorial, this guy is doing also very well! There's also a great collection of pics hanging arround at gameart.com

BTW: Is this going to be the new hype (Terrain Engines, Raytracers, Paintings)?

Michel Stol

September 11, 2001, 09:16 AM

On what drugs where you when you made this pic? :)

Looks cool.

Mystic

September 11, 2001, 10:30 AM

haha

not quite... just kept drawing gradients and stuff (using undo often)

luther2k

September 11, 2001, 01:13 PM

Great pics Tobais, you're getting better and better :)
I take it that the two top images are paintings, what kind of paint are you using? As for the other two new ones, the mountainous image and the palace image, they're wonderful. The colours and atmosphere in both of them are superb. Do you own a large collection of national geographic magazines too?:)

Keep it up, I'm going to have to do some new pics to prove I still can...

Tim.

shrike

September 11, 2001, 01:26 PM

Wow, that old man looks pretty good. I have always wanted to be able to draw like that. Maybe this is the inspiration that I need to learn to become a better artist (or really, an artist at all).

Seeing that I am going to be away from my computer for 3 months, I have plenty of time to learn to draw I guess.

Ogotay

September 11, 2001, 01:43 PM

Okay, since everybody is showing off now, I thought it's my turn now. LOL (btw. nice IOTD, and luther2k - I LOVE your pics! impressive :).
These are some old hand drawn and then scanned sketches I made years ago, before I decided to take the coder's route ;). Oh yeah, in case you wonder, I had a different nickname at that time *g*.

Tobias Franke

September 11, 2001, 02:49 PM

Heh, no no, they aren't mine, they're from Nicholas Anderson! Anyway, as soon as my page gets up again I'll drop some of my stuff there!