Submitted by Andre Könecke, posted on August 30, 2001

Image Description, by Andre Könecke

This image shows my first attempt in 3d-engine creation: It was meant to be Wolfenstein-like, so that there are only orthogonal walls and the worlds are not "real-3D", but everything is on one level.

I wrote it using OpenGL for graphics, DirectX for Keyboard-Input, and Windows-API for the rest of it. The project was started for learning-purposes only, and I stopped it, as I ran into bigger problems... I had been working on it for about 5 weeks.

The engine's "features":
  • OpenGL-Support
  • DirectX-Support
  • Simple Mapformat
  • MD2-Loading+Animation
  • Fire+Explosions
  • Particle-Engine
  • Simple Collision Detection
  • Doors+Switches
  • Minimap+Statusbar
  • Simple Shadows
  • Free Sourcecode
  • So visit my homepage, and have a look at the 3D-Engine-Development-Page...

SnAkE's Programming Resources

akbar A.

August 31, 2001, 02:06 AM

nice dude :)
    i usually don't make any posts here, but i really like your iotd :)

Tristan

August 31, 2001, 03:42 AM

ok enough of this crap. I have never seen such negative behavior on these forums. Poor old Andre was expecting pure praise of his work, like everyone receives and deserves when they post an IOTD to flipcode. About Tim, he did some cool work with lighting and discussions about him personally have no place on this forum of praise and have no place on any forum in flipcode.

I think I will have to set some ground rules, flipcode IOTD forums are the place for:

1. Praise of all IOTD
    2. Lots of landscape
    3. Corny jokes about how a photo is a graphics engine
    4. Other corny jokes (for examples read posts I have previously made)

So anywayz,

Andre, the ITOD looks great, I'll have a look at it after I download it.

Tristan

Moonbird

August 31, 2001, 05:03 AM

LOL

Saad Faisal

August 31, 2001, 05:36 AM

This is one beautiful shot and this is actually something useful... Hey i think i can do that!!!! ;) ok... so when can we see a demo.

Raspberry

August 31, 2001, 06:16 AM

yep, yep,much better use than as a flame war channel :)

SnAkE

August 31, 2001, 07:10 AM

Hey guys, thanx for your reactions!

I will just give you a few random answers:
    1. It took 5 weeks to code EVERYTHING you see on the pics from ground up.
    2. Demo(Full Source) is available on my homepage!
    3. Collision-Detection IS 2D... Because the maps are basically 2D-Maps ;-) (Just have a look at the map-files in the data-dir...
    5. Make love not war ;-)

Cu then guys... André "SnAkE" Könecke, Germany

psykotic

August 31, 2001, 07:28 AM

I sincerely apologize for starting this whole mess though I do believe that I had valid points. I agree; this kind of discussion and behavior does not belong on the flipCode forums and most especially the IOTD forum.

1. Praise of all IOTD

Praise certainly has its part but don't you think that technical discussion and constructive criticism has a place here also? Posting anything in a public forum implies that you are proud of something you did and want to your peers. If someone raises valid points and offers suggestions, I think you should listen and listen good. I may be the alone on this, but I see the flipCode forums (of which the IOTD is one) as a place where like-minded individuals come together and discuss their work, ask questions, and so on. I know that I am always happy when other people point our flaws in my logic or approach to a problem. I would much rather catch design flaws in the early stages than have to throw everything away at the time of implementation.

Andre, the ITOD looks great, I'll have a look at it after I download it.

I second that. Great job, mate. Like Conor said, an engine like this certainly has potential. No-one ever claimed that a 6DOF engine with all the bells and whistles you can think of is necessarily the way to go (tm). Have fun!

dom

August 31, 2001, 07:29 AM

very neat.

i like it. i can't play it, coz i'm @ work, but it looks like it could be lots of fun. i've REplayed wolfenstein and doom several times, coz they're just such good fun.

u don't need loads of fancy crap to have fun. just a willing grandpa.

maybe flipcode should host a FUN competition, where the objective is to make the most FUN GAME. not tech demo, not graphic w*nking, but something that actually PLAYS, be it TETRIS or Q6000TurboGF4_Only. That would really sort the men from the boys!

;-)

L.e.Denninger

August 31, 2001, 08:13 AM

muhahahaha
    and TCS is a NVidia-groupie sissyboy :)

xEricx

August 31, 2001, 08:52 AM

You forgot about Rise Of The Triad and Duke3D ... Those were classics also, I mean, I loved to have 2 pistols in ROTT, and Duke Nukem was awesome :)

Willem

August 31, 2001, 09:25 AM

Nice IOTD. Keep up the good work. Gameplay above all!

ceenda

August 31, 2001, 11:23 AM

Andre, I really like this IOTD article. As someone mentioned, it's kinda cool to see games that are retro/nostalgic and yet quite up to date.

Is the particle engine for scenery objects, or is it implemented in gunshot blasts etc.

BTW, sorry people see fit to hijack your thread.

MC BAXTON

August 31, 2001, 12:29 PM

GF..3 wankers ... well said

beeeph

August 31, 2001, 01:35 PM

Cry me a friggen river guys. You all need a good humping. Put down the keyboard and pick up a breast, check out the life beyond that monitor. Try playing a game thats REAL. Bottom line, game development isn't about pounding coffee and getting 3 hrs of sleep each night. Its about making a living so you can live a life. You Dorks.

Tim Johnson
    PS2 Programmer/Sony Corp

beeeph

August 31, 2001, 01:48 PM

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    | | | | | |
    Just kiddin, i just wanted to add to the negativity of this forum. You guys are the coolest people in the world ;}

Tim Johnson
    PS2 Programmer/Sony Corp

DooMWiz

August 31, 2001, 02:01 PM

Primey when you're out of town.

*DooMWiz humps DirtyPunk's leg.*

LimpnoodL

August 31, 2001, 09:55 PM

I think I have something that will fit in that hole... it's just in my pocket here...

LimpnoodL

August 31, 2001, 09:59 PM

Use to vent sexual urges at your own risk.

LimpnoodL

August 31, 2001, 10:00 PM

Be Ruff to my boy, you ... niceian (dang)

zed zeek

August 31, 2001, 11:23 PM

i use ray(moving object)->colliders(tris,polys,spheres,etc) collision test. offseting the colliders surfaces by the movers shape)

another popular method (more popular perhaps?) is to test for intersection of solids eg with GTK. find the penetration depth and then move the solids to where no collision happens.

tcs

September 01, 2001, 08:15 AM

This forum is jut full of 12 years old immature idots that needs to compensate their lack of technical skill by attacking other people for no reason. Not the place I want to be...

Tim

psykotic

September 01, 2001, 09:05 AM

[I promised to stay quiet but this is simply too much]

You got us, Tim. In reality we are in fact all just twelve year olds. The people that say otherwise in their profile (myself included) are just lying. Only the amazing brain of an übergenius such as yourself could possibly have come to such a brilliant conclusion. Auf widersehen!

D.R

September 02, 2001, 01:13 PM

You guys really sound like 12 year olds if you are or not i do not know i`m new and for some reason i thought this site was about game development.

p.s psykotic i was right about the photon maps.

psykotic

September 02, 2001, 01:40 PM

p.s psykotic i was right about the photon maps.

No, you are not. If you want anyone to take you seriously, you should at the very least say why you are right. There is nothing wrong with the scheme I outlined and it's really a trivial extention of dynamic lightmapping as described by e.g. Luke in his tutorial here on flipCode on lightmapping.

*VERTEX*

September 02, 2001, 05:03 PM

I was joking, you are right, there is nothing wrong with the method you described. I was (in my other post) merely stating my own preference is not to use photon mapping, My company is split into two relevant divisions (programming and art)as head 3d/2d modeller and artist,(My friend who i started the company with) is head of programming, most of the time when in the planning stages of our
    games we create programmes and editors that allow as much creative control to the artists as possible, as a result in the majority of cases photon maps are not feasable to the way we work.

hope i cleared that up (i didnt mean to offend):)

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 ... out of 2) Next Last