Submitted by Andre Könecke, posted on August 30, 2001

Image Description, by Andre Könecke

This image shows my first attempt in 3d-engine creation: It was meant to be Wolfenstein-like, so that there are only orthogonal walls and the worlds are not "real-3D", but everything is on one level.

I wrote it using OpenGL for graphics, DirectX for Keyboard-Input, and Windows-API for the rest of it. The project was started for learning-purposes only, and I stopped it, as I ran into bigger problems... I had been working on it for about 5 weeks.

The engine's "features":
  • OpenGL-Support
  • DirectX-Support
  • Simple Mapformat
  • MD2-Loading+Animation
  • Fire+Explosions
  • Particle-Engine
  • Simple Collision Detection
  • Doors+Switches
  • Minimap+Statusbar
  • Simple Shadows
  • Free Sourcecode
  • So visit my homepage, and have a look at the 3D-Engine-Development-Page...

SnAkE's Programming Resources

STZ

August 30, 2001, 07:44 PM

"everything this engine uses is well-known stuff since up to 20 years."

This is a complete nonsense.

signed by:

Jim Beam
    Big Teddy
    HearthWorm Bim

STZ

August 30, 2001, 07:48 PM

Grandpa Rogers, sometimes known as tcs

Mr. Rogers

August 30, 2001, 07:52 PM

Would you like to get soapy with me?

STZ

August 30, 2001, 07:58 PM

Its quite funny watching "mad" tcs. Come on, baby
    Interesting, how would u react in real life ? Running around in circles ? Jumping ?
    It would be interesting picture... just imagine it.

I think that all this edge programming is quite lame. More important and harder is achieving stable work with different 3d cards. When I was running your iotd's, I always get some illegal errors... That's because u dont care about compatibility and therefore its only sport for you, but not programming. And totaly useless. U should better play basketball in the garden.

Thats all folks

STZ

August 30, 2001, 08:05 PM

I do not like playing with men, I'd better choose a girl and we could all get very soapy and take very big bath very together. And to make tcs-2 soon, so we could have more fun with tcs.

David20321

August 30, 2001, 08:20 PM

Way cool screenshots! BTW there's no point in bashing a free demo with free source code. Anyways I didn't read the side-threads so maybe you weren't bashing it but anyways of course it's easier than making quake 3 who cares it's still cool.

-David-

tcs

August 30, 2001, 08:22 PM

Looks like you have no arguments, so insulting me further is your only option. You say I'm a bad programmer, I suck, I should not continue programming, all I do is useless...

I have the impression I must be a real god for you. The only way you can feel good is by putting me down as much as possible.

I tried to look into your profile to see if you arer 11 or 12 or so, but you entered nothing.

Well, I think your post is pretty pathetic.

Tim

Derek Simkowiak

August 30, 2001, 08:24 PM

A few months ago the wife took the kid to Canada for the weekend. I got a mini-vacation.

Know what I did? Installed Wolf3D, Doom I Shareware, and Quake I on one of my game machines (hooked up to the 35" T.V. and mega-stereo with wireless mouse) and spent most of the weekend playing them, in chronological order. It was a blast. (With the lights off, and the sound cranked, Wolf3D STILL made me jump! And talk about nostalgia...)

Oh, and where did all these twelve-year-olds come from?

Max

August 30, 2001, 08:25 PM

"First, why do you always spam your post in the main thread ?"

Some people view the threads in a non-threaded way, so their responses don't get associated with threads.

Max

STZ

August 30, 2001, 08:42 PM

I mean u should program,(and u will, of course ..) but only seriously.
    I just wanted to show that its not a good practice supporting only hardware which u have.
    In fact, u will never be understood by comp users this way.

It was a joke about basketball, dont take it seriously. U love sports, then go on.

LOL, and you have completely no clue about ages, history, even Q3 .. strange.
    Now I'll go to sleep, cuz its 2:36 am. Not gonna dispute anymore.

tcs

August 30, 2001, 08:51 PM

Well, just alone the fact that you take the time to reply to each one of my posts just to write I know shit tells me a lot about you ;-)

Who are you to tell me what kind of HW I have to support in my spare time projects ?

I know what I'm talking about, very well.

Also, you did not dispute in any way, you just flamed mindless.

Tim

Louis Howe

August 30, 2001, 09:31 PM

Yikes! This looks like it was fun to code. I bet it was satisfying to have something finally finished! Keep up the good work.

P.S. Just a suggestion to all my fellow flipcoders, please be kind to each other! Try to remember that the focus here is on someone else's work.

DirtyPunk

August 30, 2001, 10:06 PM

Well, the IOTD is turning into the wrong side of the tracks. Some of you I know, some of you I don't - but both, please keep the harsh, vitriolic and minaciousness OUT of your posts here. Constructive criticism yes - personal attacks no. I'm sure most will agree that we don't need this waste of bandwidth. If you wanna waste your own bandwidth, email each other.

DirtyPunk

August 30, 2001, 10:08 PM

The IOTD community today.

DirtyPunk

August 30, 2001, 10:11 PM

As an aside, this iotd is pretty cool - There are lots of cool things you can do with an engine like this (I guess you could call them hacks :) but, they would look pretty cool.

malkia

August 30, 2001, 10:18 PM

actualy it is - BSP trees are known from 1976 or 1978 - some student discovered them - forget the full story - but it's the truth - same for texture mapping and so...

Warren Marshall

August 30, 2001, 11:17 PM

I agree 100%. If you want to attack people, take it to email. The only reason to do it here is to engage in some sort of ego masturbatory exercise.

Here's a tip guys: nobody wants to read it.

Kurt has taken away the IOTD comment section before. If this continues, I'm sure he will again.

AtheistGod

August 30, 2001, 11:19 PM

Dude, I'm not sure if the offending post has beed removed or what, because I sure as hell can't see it!

If you took offence by Lycium's post about the mix of high and low-poly objects in a scene, there must be something wrong with you.

Mr. Rogers

August 30, 2001, 11:22 PM

Would you like to get soapy with me?

GrandpaRogers

August 30, 2001, 11:23 PM

I'd like to get soapy as well.

BigBen

August 30, 2001, 11:35 PM

:-)

kewldude

August 31, 2001, 12:09 AM

Oh i bet you wouldnt have a distaste for 3d accelleration if it was raytracing hardware, that would be snazzy to you.

Do i know you?

lycium

August 31, 2001, 12:21 AM

you got me 100% there :)

"3d accelerators are only good for RTRT cheats" ;)

zed zeek

August 31, 2001, 12:51 AM

just a couple of warnings.

watch out with that tutorial its buggy, eg u can get stuck though perhaps its been fixed since i looked at it (quite a while ago)
    also that method (based on paul nettles elispsoid code) isnt a partically fast method.

collision detection the love of my life :)

zed zeek

August 31, 2001, 01:00 AM

flame war flame war i luv it :D
    i like how theres a map up there inthe top right hand corner (very useful when youre underground, not enuf games have this )
    about the IOTD, some lightmaping will break up the monotiny of the surfaces (eg that ceiling is a bit bland), but im sure u know this already but havent gotten around to doing it

cant we all just get along ppl?
    no bugger off

mooznach

August 31, 2001, 01:21 AM

HOLLLLEEEEEEEE!!!!!! :)

Jukka Liimatta

August 31, 2001, 01:34 AM

DirectX 8 is piece of cake anyway, after ExecuteBuffer's, etc. "keeping up" with the technology is simply easy.. Microsoft is working their ass-off making DX easier and more accessible to everyone so I don't see this a fancy feat.

Using dot3, etc. features in the API isn't hard, neither is writing them yourself.. what's there so "hard" about 3D graphics anyway? =)

heh.

DirtyPunk

August 31, 2001, 01:42 AM

I know who you are really (Mr LB) and what REALLY goes on with those children :)

GrandpaRogers

August 31, 2001, 01:53 AM

Be nice to my boy, you ruffian!

X-Wizard

August 31, 2001, 01:55 AM

So what kinda CollisionDetection would you prefer to use?

I have been bashing my head against the wall for sometime now, trying to get collision detection stuff working..

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 ... out of 2) Next Last