Submitted by Andre Könecke, posted on August 30, 2001

Image Description, by Andre Könecke

This image shows my first attempt in 3d-engine creation: It was meant to be Wolfenstein-like, so that there are only orthogonal walls and the worlds are not "real-3D", but everything is on one level.

I wrote it using OpenGL for graphics, DirectX for Keyboard-Input, and Windows-API for the rest of it. The project was started for learning-purposes only, and I stopped it, as I ran into bigger problems... I had been working on it for about 5 weeks.

The engine's "features":
  • OpenGL-Support
  • DirectX-Support
  • Simple Mapformat
  • MD2-Loading+Animation
  • Fire+Explosions
  • Particle-Engine
  • Simple Collision Detection
  • Doors+Switches
  • Minimap+Statusbar
  • Simple Shadows
  • Free Sourcecode
  • So visit my homepage, and have a look at the 3D-Engine-Development-Page...

SnAkE's Programming Resources

Manuel Astudillo

August 30, 2001, 02:40 PM

Great Shoots.
    I actually have the philosofy of trying to make easy-to-code games and finish them than create state-of-the-art engines that are never used for anything!.

So keep going man, and bring some cool game someday!

Manuel Astudillo.

lycium

August 30, 2001, 03:11 PM

nice, i like the contrast between lowpoly wolfenstein-like levels and the highpoly (okok, two years ago it was highpoly, to all gf3 advocates/nvidia pr people tcs) characters.

=[Scarab]=

August 30, 2001, 03:34 PM

Cool, WolfensteinGL. :P

Codejoy

August 30, 2001, 04:09 PM

Hee hee, I liked this shot. Retro yet not. And id have to agree with Manuel Astudillo about games vs. game engines. Although the recent IOTD terrain engines are neat and all, id really love to see some more game stuff. Heck even cool 2d games (cannot get enough of those). This image was cool though because it was retro /new. Did you use the Open GL game programming book to help you with this project?

Good job.

Shane

tcs

August 30, 2001, 04:12 PM

Next time I'll post some textured polygons. I know, it really sucks when you are a lamer and see people like me doing cool stuff. Please don't insult me just because I can keep up with where the technology goes and actually understand all the stuff, ok ?

Tim

ecko_53

August 30, 2001, 04:18 PM

ouch

Mitch

August 30, 2001, 04:41 PM

Very professional.

tcs

August 30, 2001, 04:55 PM

Why ?

wtf is this guy's problem ? He probably just woke up today and and thought its a nice day to go to some forum and insult me in a discussion I'm not even taking part in.

That's what I call lame.

Tim

bluestone

August 30, 2001, 05:15 PM

Well, the good gamers transformed to good game programmers...
    there full of sleepless days on game development!!! :).. The coffee should be your first friend at nights..
    , keep on moving man!

psykotic

August 30, 2001, 05:28 PM

Grow up, Tim. You are making yourself look bad by acting all paranoid and defensive. What reasons do you have to believe that this guy was trying to insult you personally? He just disagrees with you. Lycium's post was not an insult. I personally think that the engine you have worked on produces nice results but the fact of the matter is that practically anyone can get an equivalent engine (sans a few minor features like what you call hypertexturing) by using code from e.g. NVidia's website. Instead of being on the straight and narrow and acting aggressively every time someone disagrees with you, how about taking some time to think about what they're telling you? If you prove unable to do this, I predict you that your potential as a programmer will be significantly limited. Just my two cents. I hope you take the time to read this post and not let your feelings get the best of you like in some of your other posts.

SirKnight

August 30, 2001, 05:42 PM

A Quake2 and Wolf3d hybrid. Cool stuff man! :)

-SirKnight

GVENoM

August 30, 2001, 05:44 PM

Kind of like people who know nothing about hardware and claim that a GF3 is 1000 times as powerful as a PIV. Lose the ego man, you ain't that great.

tcs

August 30, 2001, 05:44 PM

You have a pretty crazy view of things.

Where does this guy "disagree" with me ? I was not even talking with him ? He just took the chance to talk some crap about me, for whatever reason. I don't understand what it gives to gim, whatever.

Your arguments are complete nonsense. Q3 f.e. doesn't even use stuff that's on the nVidia developer site, everything this engine uses is well-known stuff since up to 20 years. Curves, texture mapping, BSP trees. So what ? Does this mean it is really easy to write a Q3 like engine ? Not exactly, huh ?

My potential as a programmer is surely not limited, I always explore new ideas and try suggestions. But if you seen "constructive critism" or "suggestions" in his insulting post, well, that's your problem.

Tim

GVENoM

August 30, 2001, 05:48 PM

Good stuff man... It's really nice to see stuff that can actually be played show up here(not that I mind engine shots at all). I look forward to checking it out.

tcs

August 30, 2001, 05:56 PM

Hmmm... why do you think my ego is so big ?

And yes, I really know nothing about HW

Tim

OGAPO

August 30, 2001, 05:58 PM

wow man, that was harsh. It sure didn't sound like an insult to me, simmer down now.

tcs

August 30, 2001, 05:58 PM

I guess it's only 2 1/2D because of the simplified collision detection, right ?

Check out this on:

Pretty cool tutorial, helped me a lot

Tim

psykotic

August 30, 2001, 06:01 PM

You have a pretty crazy view of things.

Well, that's your crazy view of things =)

From reading his post, I meant that you disagreed on the gameplay vs technology focus. I don't think he meant to insult you at all and that was my point all along. I mean, he mentioned your name. That's all.

I won't bash you on your lack of English proficiency but "e.g." stands for exempli gratia (for example in Latin). I was simply giving you an example. If you want optimized patch tesselation code, you can find some on Intel's website and a Google seach should prove fruitful as well. Also, your Q3:A example is flawed. It is at this time a fairly old engine after all and there is much more to it than higher-order surfaces, texturing mapping and BSP trees. If you would reread my post, you will see that I never claimed that it was easy to code the Q3:A engine. You are twisting my words and you are doing it in the most inelegant of ways. Firstly, Q3:A has a vastly different hardware target than your engine. See, in the real-world you cannot assume that everyone has a GeForce3. Even in the case of Doom 3 which is not due for at least another year, Carmack's low-end target is a GeForce1. Secondly, coding a fully fledged engine is gargantuan software engineering effort. Writing a proof-of-concept technological demonstration like yours is less so.

Did I say that his post contained constructive criticism or useful suggestions? I surely did not. I was referring to the attitude of your posts in general. The shadow volumes discussion comes to mind. You have a tendency to simply hand-wave any criticism (constructive or otherwise) and try to dodge the real issues at hand. Just my two cents.

tcs

August 30, 2001, 06:16 PM

First, why do you always spam your post in the main thread ? This discussion is off-topic enough, so just reply.

Well, my English might be inferior to use, but at least I have the ability to understand what I read. So please, I was just making clear that having the base technology available does not easily lead to an efficient implementation. Surely it is far from easy to write a proper implementation of all these new D3D8 features, and my engine is surely not a proof of concept demo. But that's not the point anyway.

I don't even know what you are talking about. Sounds just like stuff to me which is obviously not related to what I tried to make clear. What has all this to do with my engine ?

So, please lets stop this stupid discussion. This thread is about an IOTD which is completely unrelated to me

Tim

Warren Marshall

August 30, 2001, 06:20 PM

Come on guys, give it a rest or take it to email.

lycium

August 30, 2001, 06:22 PM

i have a distaste to 3d acceleration, but i wasn't talking about that. i was taking about the pr-style defending that was going on.

either way, i'm interested to see you think you're superior to me without even knowing/asking what i do. not that i'm exceedingly hardcore myself.

don't take a friendly nudge so seriously dude.

Revolver

August 30, 2001, 06:22 PM

Maybe he meant "etc".

lycium

August 30, 2001, 06:28 PM

nope. direct reference to tim.

GVENoM

August 30, 2001, 06:45 PM

At least you are willing to admit that... I was saying you had an ego because of the tone are harshness of your posts. Maybe you were justly defending yourself and I am out of line for calling you big headed. I just remembered reading your responses to what was being said in the forum under your IOTD. You were being very hostile and arrogant, and really made yourself look foolish in the process. I just expected more maturity out of you... be careful not to get the game programmer ego. That's one of the worst things about being in this industry.
    I appreciate your ambition to keep up with technology and pushing to do new things. If you want to see some stuff I have been fooling around with check out my site. I just wish I had more time to spend with my GF...3 ;)

Take it easy man, I don't think anyone here is trying to slam you.

tcs

August 30, 2001, 07:09 PM

I'm just pissed that this guy goes to this thread and calls me an NV fanboy for no reason. Anyway, what do I have to do with this IOTD thread ?

There are lots of programmers better than me, and I'm always mad about that. But I turn this into something positive by trying to be better than them. So, I can surely appreciate other people's work and I don't see myself as the center of the universe...

Tim

tcs

August 30, 2001, 07:10 PM

Hey, you offended me and I made a response, at least I was creative in the way I responded, yo have to admit that ;-)

Tim

Mr. Rogers

August 30, 2001, 07:12 PM

Have you all thought about how nice it would be if we could all be nice to eachother? I like it when people are nice to eachother. I remember when people were nice to me. I would be in the yard and I'd get all soapy and my grandpa would water me down with his hose and then we'd get all soapy together. That was nice.

GrandpaRogers

August 30, 2001, 07:18 PM

Oh yes my boy! I loved getting soapy in the yard with you. We should all be nice to eachother in the Rogers's neighborhood. Maybe a flipCode "Get Soapy In The Front Yard" party is in order?

Grandpa Rogers

TrapZZ

August 30, 2001, 07:32 PM

this is ridiculous - can we get back to topic here?

Andre - I think your engine looks pretty cool - I had a blast during those wolfenstein 3d days. You said 5 weeks - was the to write the whole engine and everything? or just to put together this demo using the engine?

Uthman

August 30, 2001, 07:34 PM

O gawd.. grow up! The orginal comment by lycium wasn't even an insult! He just said he like the contrast between the low poly world and the high poly character. Then he added (well maybe not high poly anymore for the GF3 adgvocates), there was no insult in that towards you! But forget my above post >:D personally i wanna see more flesh tearing around 'ere; so carry on!

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 ... out of 2) Next Last