Submitted by Justin Eslinger, posted on August 27, 2001

Image Description, by Justin Eslinger

The screenshots above are from our recently released tech demo, called "Tropical Storm".

Currently, the engine supports the following :
  • Huge Outdoor Levels.
  • Deformable Terrain; Dig trenches, hide in craters made by artillery fire, etc.
  • Dynamic Skeletal Animation System
  • Multiple Levels of Detail for models
  • Advanced Particle System Effects
  • Advanced Menu System (Including windows, text boxes, etc)
  • Direct Input
  • Direct Sound w/ 3d Doppler Effects and Customizable Effects
  • Direct Show for MP3 playability
  • The story is not finalized yet. Basically, it will involve a variety of realistic scenarios over the course of a campaign. Expect to storm beaches, defend against counter-attacks, and lead offensives.

This tech demo demonstrates what we have been working on for several months. It suffers from a severe case of programmer art and animation. We are currently looking for students to fill the following positions :
  • 2d Texture Artists
  • 2d Model Skinners
  • 3d Modellers (Experience with bones/MilkShape 3d is a plus)
  • Character Animators
  • Sound Technicians
  • Music Composers
  • We are hoping to have a fully playable game for the Student Showcase in January of 2002.

Justin "BlackScar" Eslinger
    Project Leader/Character Programmer
    blackcar@ticz.com
    Digital Awe - http://www.impact-gaming.com/digitalawe/
    (Expect a second and final tech demo within a month or so, which will include killing and playing against mutliple players!)

Punchey

August 28, 2001, 09:06 AM

There must be something wrong with your video drivers or something because I had, and you can see in the IOTD that the game has, just such a blue color blended over the whole scene when under water.

Punchey

August 28, 2001, 09:16 AM

Radeon has thruough OpenGL support? HAH! That's a good one! If so, then my G450 also has excelent OpenGL support (which isn't the case by far!). I was thinking it may just be there intentionally for testing purposes to tell which grid you're in... dunno. You are probably right though. As for driver support, I recently found that the Radeon cards don't even properly support the blending function source factor of GL_SRC_COLOR!!! The one I can find to work around this is GL_SRC_ALPHA which works properly. IMHO, that's pretty bad. I mean, GL_SRC_COLOR is a pretty basic thing.

MuLuX

August 28, 2001, 12:44 PM

Hey!

I'm one of the members in Digital Awe (Webdesigner / Sound & Network Programmer). I had a Matrox G400 earlier, I had troubles w/ those black lines myself so I know what you are talkin' about. I have to say Matrox doesn't make good drivers. I've now bought myself a GF2:MX, from nVidia, that's what I call drivers! Matrox is updating theirs thrice a year...while you could get new leaked drivers to nV cards every week!

I've also noticed OpenGL stuff looking really weird, for example GLExcess, looked really weird, and like Punchey said they got some problem w/ basic blending.

But if the extension you are talkin' about wont slowdown or cause any other trouble, we might as well use it. Thanx for the feedback, it's people like you who make our game better!

MuLuX

August 28, 2001, 01:02 PM

Again, I'm a member of Digital Awe.
    Acually it's meant to use the ability to 'dig' using grenades :)
    Maybe not the way you guys did it, hehehe. I can say we got plans implementing Tanks and Ships, they will of course get more powerful guns, and have the ability to make 'rivers' or big craters! But w/ the infantry grenade launcher you should only be able do dig youself a trench or something.

Thanx for the feedback!
    Laters

STZ

August 28, 2001, 01:45 PM

Strange mix of OpenGl graphics + D3D8
    Is it usual ?

It crashed on my win98 .. says multitexture ... do not found etc in log, but not sure it is reason. Im sure just it crashes when using hardware acceleration.

My videocard is old, but still good for me. on win2k it runs, but slowly ~1 fps/sec, probably because of running in software mode.
    But still im happy that I can see few images that I can understand, after some time it shows sky .. or dust...

ANd no, my pc is not 286

STZ

August 28, 2001, 01:48 PM

have fun !;

Ucciderlo

August 28, 2001, 10:43 PM

I tried it out and actually got addicted to dropping grenades :). I went into the data and modified the grenade script so it fires at a really high rate. I was creating my own scenery. I blew up all the trees, scorched nearly all the ground, and just sat there like an idiot throwing grenade after grenade.. hehe.. I had so many explosions on screen that my fps went from 60 down to 2. The only time the game crashed was when I threw tons of grenades right near me. It seems that the geometry allocation for the debris overflowed.

Nice job!

Gamekeeper

August 30, 2001, 08:54 AM

They are swimming with their "weapons" in their hands! I find it very funny, a lot of guys (and girls) make games about stuff they know nothing about. Original name too.

Flous

September 01, 2001, 05:28 PM

hehe, I won't comment on the ati-drivers' qaulity..

But what I meant with a 'thourough' opengl implementation is that they at least try to obide the rules... unlike nvidia who just ignore some things, because their hardware can't do the asked fast enough...
    That is called cutting corners imho, and I for one cannot appreciate such a thing. Becuase when developping on nvidia cards, you do not see those anomalies...
    Boy was I pissed when I bought my radeon and found my engine full of crap like that... until I started browsing through some opengl documentation, now I know why nvidia is able of making their drivers so damn fast. They do however ensure that current games are fully supported, and that's great for gamers, but it sux for developpers...

My 2 cents

SigmundSEGV

September 03, 2001, 04:50 PM

Awesome!

I, like other posters, also seem to have taken to the idea of creating volcanoes from mountains and forging new canals and streams! Much fun. =)