Submitted by Pet, posted on August 23, 2001

Image Description, by Pet

This is a screenshot of a small screen saver I wrote in the past to test my particle system. I just want to make it available to other... maybe some will like it :).

Each particle, like usual, have it's own life time, speed, direction. The particle system is just a small part of a 3D engine I'm working on. Onother feature used in this screen saver is camera key frame animation. The rest... just ordinary 3D.

You can download the screensaver from here.

Pet

onno

August 23, 2001, 02:11 PM

Looked interested so d/l it but crash:

here is the log file if that's any help?

what d3d is it?

Start debuging...
"C:
Display BPP: 32

oh TNT card only of course ;)

lycium

August 23, 2001, 02:14 PM

hey, really like your screensaver! :) never got around to writing one myself, is it hard?

Genu

August 23, 2001, 02:15 PM

Nice particles on the picture

Interesting, but I'm asking myself: why use a screen saver? I prefer to shutdown the monitor.

Genu

AfTeRmAtH

August 23, 2001, 02:20 PM

it crased and i got a messy screen, what res do you use??

kewldude

August 23, 2001, 02:34 PM

crash

Louis Howe

August 23, 2001, 03:37 PM

Some people like aesthetic screen savers, even though perhaps shutting the monitor down is more practical and efficient.

infurn

August 23, 2001, 03:51 PM

I use a screen saver because whenever my sis comes along and wants to use my comp, she assumes that it is off and turns it on (unknowingly turning it off). Of course I usually have my unsaved source open, or a file downloading at the time ;)

Revolver

August 23, 2001, 04:52 PM

...I usually have my unsaved source open...

That is a very, very, very bad habit. Always save your work before leaving your computer. Hell, save every five minutes. Many moons ago, I once lost over five hours of hard work when I went home without saving, and there was a power failure. *Sigh*

Punchey

August 23, 2001, 05:00 PM

Hah! I save my source every few miliseconds! Sometimes I save it 5 times without even changing anything!

xEricx

August 23, 2001, 05:38 PM

At work when I leave my desk, I always lock my workstation, and have a password protected screensaver, so if I forget to lock it, then my screensaver comes and protects my work from those evil coworkers that steals my music CDs :P They could delete data as well... if my workstation wasn't protected

groundh0g

August 23, 2001, 05:51 PM

same here. but it sucks when you save a crappy change over the good, old code. [thank goodness for version control software].

Tobias Franke

August 23, 2001, 06:24 PM

ah, it's that RSN habit thats going arround here too, take a look at this!

David Frey

August 23, 2001, 06:24 PM

I have mine set up to run a password protected screen saver whenever I step away, and then 15 minutes later shutoff the monitor. That way, if I just step away for a few minutes I don't have to wait for the monitor to warm up when I get back. When I go to lunch, at least the monitor will be off for a little while.

Qix

August 23, 2001, 08:00 PM

Looks great and works perfectly on my AIW - Radeon

Sigh! I have to get out of the 2D world and venture into 3D.

Qix (Mark Williston)

Hiro Protagonist

August 23, 2001, 09:11 PM

Does it support multimon? I am sick of downloading and installing screensavers just to find out that they are only using my primary graphics device.

Hiro Protagonist

August 23, 2001, 09:14 PM

Yup, chock that one up as another unimonitor screensaver.
Advice: at least check to see how many adapters are on the system. You dont need to draw to all of them, but you should at least blank them out.

Hiro Protagonist

August 23, 2001, 09:16 PM

One more note, then Ill leave you alone.
Your particle system is not reflecting in the floor. That's fine but if everything else is reflecting then I dont really get the sensation of reflective floors, more like a glass floor with a semi-identical room below it.

Thats all.

Hiro Protagonist

August 23, 2001, 09:21 PM

Just a little info for you that you may not have known. Modern monitors go into their own sleep mode when left alone for awhile. This is to protect them from heating up and cooling down too much. In the internals of the monitor there are several resistors, that when heated and cooled to often begin to leak. Sometimes you will hear these monitors buzzzing. That is usually one of these resistors leaking. For your sake and your monitors sake, dont shut it down every time you leave it, just let it sleep. Sleeping is very power efficient, it just keeps the internals heated up enough so that they don't contract again. =)

Ucciderlo

August 23, 2001, 11:06 PM

Don't you think you are being a bit caustic with your posts? This board is supposed to be a forum for constructive critisism and sharing. Please post something on here that is worthy of critisism and perhaps we will have something rude to say about your work. Not everyone that uses this website is a professional developer. Some are just learning how to get things to work in 3D. In no way did the author of this IOTD brag or say that his work was perfect, so I don't think he needs to be bashed about the mundane features that you would like out of a screensaver. You saw in the screenshot that the particles do not reflect on the floor. Moreso, the pillars do not reflect on themselves or the fountain geometry. Who cares. If you don't like the way it looks, don't bother posting. He didn't say "Look what I made. It's the absolute cream of the crop in graphics technology." Bashing others on this site is not going to bring you any support for your website. Flipcode will always be the premiere source for game development. And that's that.

Sorry guys, I had to say it. I was in no mood to see three blatantly rude, presumtious comments about someones creative work. I'll go back to my cave now :)

z66831

August 24, 2001, 01:01 AM

I would tend to disagree; I think his tone might have been flippant, but he *was* pointing out changes to be made, not just saying "it's dumb" or something (mcbaxton) like others (mcbaxton) have done in the past... Now I'm not going to mention any names, but on a scale that includes all posters to these boards, this was actually pretty average.

-z

Pet

August 24, 2001, 01:06 AM

It runs at 640x480 and requires at least DX7.
I'll check out to see why it crashes. It looks like it not even reach the point of initialising D3DDevices :).
About multimonitor: I'll pach it and put it again on web site. I also have a multimonitor sistem. I'll gust add an ini file to set custom resolution. At home, if I set for example 1600x600 resolution (two 800x600 monitors) it runs in full screen on both monitors.

Thanks for comments, and sorry for crashes ;)
Pet.

Pet

August 24, 2001, 01:22 AM

OK. I've updated the zip file (I must sometime rebuild also the kit). Now you can change gfx.ini file to change the resolution at wich screensaver runs. You can download it now.
onno: Have you copied also the GFX directory where you have copied the flocks.scr ?

Thanks,
Pet.

Pet

August 24, 2001, 02:00 AM

Ehh, I just miss the link.
The right one is: http://www.geocities.com/whiteblobs/sub/downloads/downloadflocks.htm
Pet.

milzer

August 24, 2001, 02:20 AM

eh, coworkers deleting your files when you're away? :-) i hope that was a joke :)

Hiro Protagonist

August 24, 2001, 02:38 AM

I did fail to mention above that I indeed did think that your screensaver is nice. Much better than some. My comments were meant to be purely constructive (as anyone who has been posting here for long would know, I always post constructively). Good work, and I would seriously suggest fixing the multimon issue. Although most people would argue that multimon is a feature that not many people take advantage of,it is an excellent exercise to do in DX. Nearly every developer where I work has a multimon system (and that is a LOT).
So, I just wanted to straighten that out so I don't wake up anymore chivalrous idiots, or Don Quixotes or whatever you want to call them ;)

Good work.

klaudius

August 24, 2001, 06:45 AM

The crashing Screen Saver ! GEFORCE2 GTS with PIII 850

Nick

August 24, 2001, 06:51 AM

Works fine and looks good on my PII 300 with ATI RAGE ;P

Wim Libaers

August 24, 2001, 08:38 AM

Leaking resistors? Are you sure about this? I could accept leaking condensators, but resistors????
And even condensators usually fail due to other reasons (hell, in a TV I've got there's one that has already physically removed itself from the solder holding it on the PCB, but even that one doesn't leak)

xEricx

August 24, 2001, 11:17 AM

Nop, I work for a big corp (Nortel), and we're a good bunch of contractors working there, from a few companies... and you know... some companies would like to see others leave. Also the project I'm working on is all about automating the job of a few programmers, so their job might be cut... anyway

goltrpoat

August 24, 2001, 01:58 PM

Christ.. I'm getting sick of holier than thou morons like you, seriously. The purpose of IOTD is to get your work criticized by other people. That's what helps you progress. You could be admired by a bunch of people who have no idea how you did that, or you could get pointers from people who have done it before. If you want the former, show off to your buddies and your mom. If you want the latter, expect criticism.

-goltrpoat