Submitted by Jeff H, posted on August 21, 2001

Image Description, by Jeff H

Does anyone remember this board game? Avalon Hill, went out of print about, oh... 1979? Well, it was and is still one of my absolute favorites. I was a teacher a few years ago and while the students were working indivdually, I made this game on the instructors' PC on the projection screen so they could watch. I like how it ended up, and is about 75% complete.

Because of what I was teaching, this is done in Visual Basic 6 and DirectX 7. Although I would definitely use Vis. C++ now, it really works well as it is! It's a turn-based wargame, and the animated explosions look great. The ships are rendered in TrueSpace 4. The textures on the ships are the front of an Albertson's grocery store(stone, windows with fluorescent lights inside) in Fort Worth, Texas. I have moved to Phoenix, AZ...

While not complete, the AI is simple influence mapping.

I wish I could post it here, but the board game is owned by Avalon Hill, owned by Hasbro. Uh oh, right? I ain't gonna be sued. They would never release it, the market for this kind of game is so low... I just wish I could speak to the guy who made the board game twenty-some years ago... [Garret Donner (Also made "Wizard's Quest" and "Dragonhunt")] I am working on another project, which you will see soon. I'll get a publisher then.

www.negativeutopia.com
(my page is down because I moved, but these "picts of the day" stay up for a long time, so I gave my URL anyway. It will be up in a week or two...)

TrapZZ

August 21, 2001, 02:51 PM

cool man, i'm not a big fan of VB but you really made it look sweet. I'm in phoenix also... small world ;)

lycium

August 21, 2001, 02:52 PM

BASIC forever... 2d games rock

=[Scarab]=

August 21, 2001, 03:37 PM

I'm working on a 2D game myself. This one looks pretty damn nice! We need more 2D shots instead of terrain engines! (Although that photon mapping IOTD before this one is really impressive as well)

hurri

August 21, 2001, 04:24 PM

Hey, I'm here in the Phoenix area too! I know at least one other flipcoder is around here as well. We should see how many of us we can round up and get all of us together... :)

Where do you all work, and how many game companies are here? I know of Cinematix and Rainbow Studios.. any others?

TrapZZ

August 21, 2001, 04:40 PM

cool, so many Phoenix people here ;)

There is a couple more, I work for a small one called Hoopla Entertainment - it only started up about 6 months ago.

There is also Artifact Entertainment - they're making a mmorpg with some German company I believe.

we should stay in touch.. my icq# 73195585

Lars Birkemose

August 21, 2001, 05:01 PM

Im by no means a fan of 2D, but your game and artwork looks absolutely top notch

Lars

elikez

August 21, 2001, 05:58 PM

vb? Yuck.
Cool game, though.

disableddan

August 21, 2001, 06:20 PM

I wish my teachers would do stuff like that! :)

It looks very cool, I look forward to seeing your site. Good luck publishing your future games as well!

goltrpoat

August 21, 2001, 06:21 PM

Heh, I lived in Phoenix for a few years, might move back there someday. Worked at Cinematix for a while. Someone else on flipcode is currently working at Cinematix as well. Someone I used to work with works at Artifact now. Someone I work with used to work at Rainbow. Small world.

-goltrpoat

Buster

August 21, 2001, 07:14 PM

Add some original content, change the name and release that sucker!

Hiro Protagonist

August 21, 2001, 07:21 PM

Great IOTD.

Let's keep our opinions about VB, C++, Pascal, COBOL, LISP and whatever else, to ourselves and out of this discussion. It's been done, done again and overdone. Nuff said.

The pic in the upper right is a splash? or part of the game? Nicely done.

TrapZZ

August 21, 2001, 07:33 PM

cool goltrpoat - you probably know or knew one of my good friends at Cinematix, he goes by Menace ... he just moved on to gearbox - i'm so stoked for him.

vrempire

August 21, 2001, 09:11 PM

It looks that it can be released and sell. I've never tried playing that game before, but the looks make me wanna try it....
finished it!!!!! :)

George Ziniewicz

August 22, 2001, 01:32 AM

I'm in the Phoenix area too, though not employed at a game co.

www.zintel.com

zin

thec

August 22, 2001, 06:19 AM

Realistic shot in the upper right there, nice going.

Albert - YeahImBoredOfAllTheseJokesTooButHadToPostOne

Chrysomite

August 22, 2001, 11:35 AM

And the question is...how many of you go to Arizona State? Or am I the only one?

hurri

August 22, 2001, 11:47 AM

I started in the Master's program there last fall, but I'm taking a bit of a break now. Took almost all the graphics classes they offered though, that was fun.

Maekh

August 22, 2001, 11:48 AM

writeln('Me loves Pascal')

woh almost forgot... cool game!

Chrysomite

August 22, 2001, 11:52 AM

Just quit my job and am going back to finish up my undergrad degrees. Will be taking 470 next semester. I'll be sure to harass you for help. ;)

TrapZZ

August 22, 2001, 12:05 PM

I don't go to asu, but I would like to get my Masters there eventually.

ecko_53

August 22, 2001, 12:47 PM

nice...

Scott Velasquez

August 22, 2001, 01:01 PM

Like TrapZZ mentioned, I used to live in Phoenix and work at Cinematix Studios until July when I moved out here to Dallas. I still try to keep in touch with my peeps in Phoenix though.

Scott Velasquez

August 22, 2001, 01:05 PM

oops! It seems that I haven't posted on here in a while and my sig is out of date.

Scott Velasquez

August 22, 2001, 01:06 PM

Scott Velasquez

August 22, 2001, 01:06 PM

Scott Velasquez

August 22, 2001, 01:07 PM

Scott Velasquez

August 22, 2001, 01:07 PM

Jefftoe

August 22, 2001, 01:33 PM

I was working for a place right accross the street from my
house in Fort Worth, TX. They had a cram-bam, thank you ma'm associates degree program. Pretty accelerated. Some people really
lagged though. That's how I had time to do it. I'll be honest though, I did it for me. :) It started as a kind of a joke, though really. Thank you for the compliments!

Jeff

Jefftoe

August 22, 2001, 01:39 PM

Why yuck? I agree for games, but something stupid in the business world. Some small program to generate a web page or something every hour on the hour, perfect. Don't worry, I'm not insulted. But back then, I couldn't use Vis. C++ worth a damn.

Jeff

Jefftoe

August 22, 2001, 01:46 PM

Wow, thank you guys for the great responses. We (the Phoenix people) all need to round up sometime and have a beer. I just bought a house in Queen Creek area, used to live in Chandler. Let's choose a central location. I too don't work in the video game industry. I work at the major airline in this area as a software engineer. Can you say "flight benefits?"

I have worked for 2 video game companies short-term. Mainly just for projects. I'm not much of a console programmer really.

Your comments make me want to finish this, even re-write it using C++.
Maybe I should put my other project up here and if that gets better responses, stay with that.

Jeff