Submitted by Sven, posted on August 13, 2001

Image Description, by Sven

This Demo, Spooky-3D, was part of the Karlsruher Museumsnacht last weekend ( 4.8.2001 ).

It was presented in front of the Kalrsruhe Palace on two video-beamers which projected from the balkony to the floor in front of the Palace. The first projection was aimed to the tracking area, i.e. if someone entered/crossed this area, he or she was followed by a lot of theese yellow points (bottom right image).

This was made possible by an infrared-camera with 2 infrared-spotlights which was mounted beside the beamers. The camera was connected to a computer with a tv-card, which evaluates and sends tracking-data of persons in this area via midi (coordinates as notes) to my two computers, where the demo was running. But it was really difficult, to set up the projection so that the position of the people matched the projected position of the yellow points.

The second Projection was a complete demo which integrated the tracking area of the first projection in 3D (upper left image) and 2 other effects (bottom left and upper right image). In the 3D-Version, you also can see the Karlsruhe Palace as wireframe (thx to Julia) and a lot of camera flights. The Demo was coded in alround 3-4 weeks and it is based on my 3D-Engine (3DED) which uses OpenGL for 3D-Acceleration.

The soundcapturing from line-in was done by using the standard wavein-commands (no direcx or something) of the multimedia-libary. I've also implemented a simple fourier-transform to get the beats of the music. If you want to take a look at he Demo in action, you can get it here (simple click on a screenshot) The source is included too.

Sven islands.cjb.net

infurn

August 13, 2001, 01:16 PM

hehe
that would kick ass
wish i was there ;(

Uthman

August 13, 2001, 01:25 PM

im speechless

William Dahlberg

August 13, 2001, 01:26 PM

Awesome! Keep up the work!

dan ogles

August 13, 2001, 01:40 PM

Hey, I've been to Karlsruhe before, wish I was there last weekend! :)

The screenshots look great, I'll try the demo out soon.

Pierre Mengal

August 13, 2001, 02:18 PM

love it

lycium

August 13, 2001, 02:28 PM

vcool, nice work

MC BAXTON

August 13, 2001, 03:20 PM

I've noticed interesting thing, its called over-censouring.

Warning: all posts stating that they dont like this iotd will be removed !
LOL

p.s. I know this post will soon be removed too

Thomas Young

August 13, 2001, 04:32 PM

aha, but you forgot to say anything negative about the iotd :)

Kurt Miller

August 13, 2001, 05:13 PM

That's correct. All pointless, negative posts will be removed by me or another moderator. As you've clearly chosen not to read the forum guidelines, I'll quote a section:

"The comment forums, which you will find attached to various features (including the Image Of The Day, Code Of The Day, Tip Of The Day, and others), were designed specifically as on-topic, supportive, discussion forums. They are not free-for-all chat forums. They will be moderated more aggressively than the general forums. Messages that are not considered productive or supportive will be removed. "

Your comment that was removed, "WHat is that ? Complete mess on the screen", has absolutely no value on these forums. You consistently post stuff like this despite everyone's request for you to stop.

The new version of the forums in the works will have even more sophisticated moderation tools.

Thunderbird

August 13, 2001, 05:25 PM

It ran slowly on my computer, but then again, my computer is messed up. Still looked cool though. I had no idea what was going one, and the F1, F2, and F3 keys didn't work, but it still looked nice. Btw, the spinning iron beams went the slowest.

SpaceRat

August 13, 2001, 06:11 PM

Yes, you're right, the Demo has relatively high hardware requirements. On my Duron800 with Geforce2 it ran at alround 30FPS.
But you can speed up the demo by editing the 3ded.ini file.
For example, you can change the resolution to 640x480x16
(or 640x480x32) - then it should ran fast enough.
The F1-F3 keys will be enabled, when the demo-running
is stopped by F5 ( I think I'll add that to the readme.txt )

Sven

NEGA

August 13, 2001, 06:26 PM

Wow, this is really cool, I especially like how it somewhat syncronizes with music playing in Winamp. I haven't looked closely at the code to see if that was intentional. Either way it has an awsome feel to it, good job :)

P.S. thanks Kurt for shutting MC BAXTON up :):)

SpaceRat

August 13, 2001, 07:37 PM

Ok, now I've just fixed the F1-F3 bug and put a new version online.
I also added a free-fly-mode for the first effect and the description of the remaining keys

Megahertz

August 13, 2001, 08:26 PM

Werd!

Gerald Filimonov
-=[ Megahertz ]=-

Jeff Quesnelle

August 13, 2001, 10:05 PM

The ball with lights was cool, but I got like 1 FPS when I tried to render the transparent white house, I only have a VooDoo3 :-)

Jan Niestadt

August 14, 2001, 05:13 AM

Very cool, very polished look.
Maybe you could make a version where it plays any of your mp3s and reacts to that?

Comanche

August 14, 2001, 07:12 AM

Where is the WinAMP Plugin? :))

Prince

August 14, 2001, 10:19 AM

WOW! I really like the blue palace transparent light effect scene. Its something I havent really seen before.

I get like 5fps for that scene. And about 12 for the rest I think. Though I think I get 30 fps for the cool spere light burst scene.

P2 350 64MB Voodoo 3 2000

That palace scene is awesome. You should do other stuff like that and maybe make it even faster.

Nutter

August 15, 2001, 08:31 AM

Sweet.. that's an awesome and really inspiring piece of work.. very interesting too, wish I was there to see it. :)