Submitted by flipCode, posted on August 11, 2001

Image Description, by flipCode

Assuming your web browser didn't explode while trying to load that enormous image, you'll have surely realized by now that today is the Image Of The Day's 2nd anniversary! Just before August 11th, 1999, I managed to talk Luke Hodorowicz into snapping a shot of his engine for a new feature I wanted to launch on flipCode. 2 years later, as Luke and I discussed ideas for the 2nd anniversary image, he suggested featuring them ALL at once. Take a moment to look over more than 450 reader-submitted images! That's a heck of a lot of pixels, many of them arranged in ways that've no doubt inspired us all.

Cheers to everyone who's featured an image here. Keep 'em coming!

-Kurt

shadd

August 11, 2001, 07:55 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY IOTD!

shadd

Impossible

August 11, 2001, 08:32 PM

I love IOTD (even though I'm not as bad as you freaks that remember every single one :)) Keep them coming!

Genu

August 11, 2001, 08:37 PM

Nice idea!

tcs

August 11, 2001, 09:27 PM

Lol, I guess it took two years to paste all the pics together ;-) What an incrdible long and annoying work ;-) But the final result rox...

Tim

Zack

August 11, 2001, 09:39 PM

It's actually called a Photo-Mosaic. :) Anyway, that would be really cool.

Nick

August 11, 2001, 09:44 PM

BTW, there's an image of my twin brother's game. Since you haven't missed a single IOTD, can you spot it? ;) Hint: it's one of the best games for another platform than PC in my very humble opinion :)) It has evolved quite a lot since that IOTD and it's almost finished now. Faster AI by using more intelligent algorithms instead of brute force is the last step...

Kurt Miller

August 11, 2001, 09:46 PM

Do you really think programmers would do that by hand? ;] Luke, who came up with the idea for the huge image, wrote up a prog in his spare time to put the images together.

Vorteks

August 11, 2001, 10:13 PM

...And boy do we appreciate what those two years have brought. I've been looking at the IOTD everyday for more then a year now, and I've always been entertained and enlightened by it. Hats off to you Kurt, and here's to another two years!

Megahertz

August 11, 2001, 10:30 PM

WOOT!! Good to see the site still alive and kickin' after 2 years.

Happy Birthday Flipcode!!

btw, this is the 69th post =)

Gerald Filimonov
-=[ Megahertz ]=-

Kurt Miller

August 11, 2001, 11:48 PM

groundh0g

August 12, 2001, 01:04 AM

Yeah. This 8 gig IOTD needs a few more animated GIFs in the comments.

8-)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY IOTD! You don't look a day over 1.

David Olsson

August 12, 2001, 05:56 AM

I seem to rember a truck on a landscape for Mac. Is that what you're talking about ?

David Olsson

August 12, 2001, 06:02 AM

Time, it always fly away.

I had plans for writing a entire game this summer, I haven't even finnished the very basic rendering architecture.
To my defense I can only say that I doing something that I haven't seen anyone do before so a I can't follow anyones footsteps and I have worked on more than 10 different rendering modes. But still, I should have been able to do more than that.

Bemmu Sepponen

August 12, 2001, 06:37 AM

Everyone else got to say it so I will too.

Happy birthday iotd! My favorite feature on flipcode :-)#.
(I've been trying to grow a beard lately)

Megahertz

August 12, 2001, 06:49 AM

"Just to avoid confusion btw, flipcode itself is around 2 years / 8 months old. The site launched on January 1st, 1999. The IOTD feature wasn't up from the beginning, but came about on August 11th."

Uhhhh...yeah...thats what i meant. =)

Happy Birthday IOTD!!

Gerald Filimonov
-=[ Megahertz ]=-

Pet

August 12, 2001, 07:35 AM

Yup, keep them gooing...
Pet.

Pet

August 12, 2001, 07:45 AM

Kurt, assuming you are storing comments in some data base, can you just don't erase records any more ? I just tried to look at some old pictures.... but, hei, all have 0 comments :(... It would be very usefull to see how people think and work one year ago...
Thanks,
Pet.

PS: Even you have other ways to store records, can you just leave them all ? I think is not a space problemm on web server's machine :).. If so, I give you one 40GB HDD ;)

Nick

August 12, 2001, 08:18 AM

Well, it's the same with my software engine, I have to (re-)invent everything myself. For example, it takes a few minutes in GL or D3D to draw a simple textured triangle, even for a newbie, while it took me months to get my first very stable sub-pixel, sub-texel assembly optimised rasterizer.

There are really not that many resources I can use. I had to read dozens of tutorials and put them together to be able to build what I'm working on now. Many fast assembly codes for texture mapping are only for 256x256 textures and 256 colors and don't allow texture wrapping. Now I've written my own MMX scanline function for 2m x 2n, 32-bit texture mapping that takes only eight clock cycles for two pixels in the inner loop...

Another big problem is the object-oriented design. I don't want to blindly copy the GL or D3D interface but still have almost the same internal structure. The best resource I've found so far is this site: OGRE. It's not a software engine, but the online documentation is really great and has given me lots of idea's. Luckily there are also lots of C++ guru's at flipCode who often help me.

Also, I'm going to release all the source code, so it has to be well-written, have good documentation and solid error handling. I rewrite code very often, so documenting it now is a waste of time. Error handling is now only used in pretty dangerous code that hopefully never has to be re-written. So, I still got a lot of work to do, although it starts looking cool ;)

Greetings,

Nick

James Matthews

August 12, 2001, 08:24 AM

Congratulations Kurt on an excellent site. IOTD is definitely my favourite section and is something I check nearly as much as Generation5!! :)

Later,

James.

Nick

August 12, 2001, 08:29 AM

Hehe, no it's not for Mac, it's for Psion handheld: Joeri Capens. He has worked on it for more than two years now, in his spare time of course. It started with a Psion 3c game which is already finished, but now he has totally re-written it for Psion 5mx and similar devices. Here's his site if you're interested: ZherØes. Oh yeah, the physics code is mine, but my brother won't admit that ;)

luther2k

August 12, 2001, 08:46 AM

Yup, happy birthday IOTD, I can see at least two of mine in there :)

Keep it up everybody,

Tim.

Wim Libaers

August 12, 2001, 12:08 PM

Oops, "Pice" should be "Nice", of course. Does this forum haven an edit or cancel function?

EGreg

August 12, 2001, 01:16 PM

Happy birthday IOTD!

A year in pictures. Are they in any particular order? Where's the source code!!!

Let's vote for our favorite IOTD. Specify the column and row please :-)

Hey, where's the picture of Jaap doing the flip? Oh, there it is.

It's nice to see a lot of talent here on flipcode, as well as very nice graphic images!

Cheers,
Greg

PS: Hoobala hoo, pikachoo, you know what is going on here? Your name is spelled pikachu not pikachoo, but that's onl because the transliteration from japanese is sucky ... okay maybe not.

Yo dp do you want to post a pic of the, ahem, tail club here?

Victor Ho

August 12, 2001, 01:36 PM

Hey MC BAXTON, for all you know, you could become a permanent fixture of the IOTD too....."The official Flipcode IOTD Troll"...god forbid...lol : )

I always thought that if all the propeller heads on this site collaborated on something...the result would be way cool. I was thinking along the lines of an opensourced 3d game engine that would evolve much the same way Linux did.

But this IOTD is way way cooler than that.

Congrats to Kurt and Happy 2nd Birthday Flipcode! = )

cone3d

August 12, 2001, 01:42 PM

Happy D-day IOTD.

Is there any chance of getting a Higher res pic of all the IOTD-s. I'd like to print it out and stick it on my wall, or something.

Phil Carlisle

August 12, 2001, 02:13 PM

Hehehe, great feature. 2 years old! :)) Good going Kurt, to keep a site alive long enough that its still going strong after 2 years is a feat in itself.

So happy birthday IOTD! look forward to its 3rd :))

Phil.

Kanda

August 12, 2001, 03:00 PM

My favourite programming website :-)

Kanda

August 12, 2001, 03:05 PM

As said a great person, all the IOTD are good to see ! Thanks Kurt for that !

Kurt Miller

August 12, 2001, 03:33 PM

No comments threads were erased. The IOTD didn't have a 'comment' feature from the start, so a lot of the older images don't have comments. A few older ones might have a comment here and there simply because people went back more recently and posted something.

zed zeek

August 12, 2001, 05:32 PM

so how many images are there in total? my monitor blewup + are looking at the site with a 14inch screen (compared to 17inch) it gives it viewing pages an all new demension, should that be old?

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 3 ... out of 3) Next Last