Submitted by Oztan Harmanci, posted on August 05, 2001

Image Description, by Oztan Harmanci

This is a game project(totally amateurish) I've been working on for about 4 months.(Actually we are a group of 3 but I am the only coder) Features are:
  • Lightmaps(Radiosity or simple raycasting. But radiosity is not optimized yet so these shots are raycast lighted)
  • Collision system(Greatly modified version of Paul Nettle and Telemachos's ellipsoid-poly collision detection and response)
  • CSG to WorldCraft 3.3 MAPs
  • Some eyecandy: glows, transparent surfaces, animated textures, switched textures, simple water wave effect)
  • MD2 support
  • OpenGL for rendering
  • DirectX 5.0+ for DirectInput and DirectSound(why not 8.0? I dont have the SDK and samples from my MSDN CD were for DX5.0)
  • Releasing this tech. demo was a deadline for me, now I will go back, optimize and polish the preprocessing tools and start working on enemy AI. I hope I can finish this project because I am really really sick of seeing things in first person view :).

Your feedbacks are greatly appreciated(more if you test the demo and post resulting FPS and your machine properties here)

Download Website: http://www.geocities.com/proje_x/

Cheers.

PS: Guns are from Action Quake2, textures from CS, HL.

Mark Schmidt

August 06, 2001, 05:28 AM

Yeah, I thought about that. But then again, all the money we've made is because of me. It might be my only solution though.

The only thing he's done really is sign us up for web hosting (filled out the form and sent money), set up a bank account, and made us a legal entity. Beyond that, there's nothing left for him to do except for marketing/advertising which he hasn't really done (at least he hasn't shown me in 4 months).

My hope: I talk to him, he leaves and we still remain best friends (note, we've been friends for well over 20 years).

-Mark

Mark Schmidt

August 06, 2001, 05:29 AM

We haven't signed any IP, but it wouldn't be a problem. I could give him the code but he'd have no idea what to do with it. Besides, he's not the type of person to stab me in the back like that.

-Mark

Peter Mackay

August 06, 2001, 06:10 AM

Shouldn't that be ZeroMemory, not Zero?

freakyboy

August 06, 2001, 07:26 AM

hi

nice looking demo. 40fps on my pII350 & TNT2 :)
    i wanted you to ask if you clould explain this in some more detail:

"Collision system(Greatly modified version of Paul Nettle and Telemachos's ellipsoid-poly collision detection and response)"

i'm working on a FPS game too, and i implemented paul nettle's, but it so instable :( .. there are a ton of errors (that happen very rarely) like falling through the floor.

what did you do, to overcome these problems? i played your demo for quite a while, just to test if the collision system is stable. and it seems, it IS! .. congratulations :)

freakyboy

MC BAXTON

August 06, 2001, 07:35 AM

LOL, thats very serious topic, its definitely worth answering, not like most other posts.
    I would like to state that any coincidence with real C++ procedures are just coincidence. Therefore, Zero should present absolute zero in depth or any other dimension. ZeroMemory are too limited for my purposes, therefore it is not used.

Kezza

August 06, 2001, 07:54 AM

I guess you're checking for collisions at intervals in movement,
    you could fix problems caused by this by implementing a system which checks for collisions all along the movement path (shouldn't be too hard if thats a straight line)....

Lars Birkemose

August 06, 2001, 08:19 AM

I agree with RyseFtk (whatever that means)
    I dont agree with Mr Baxton, and would certainly not agree on "GO MC-BAXTON"... mainly because I would not risk him wandering around my neighbourhood.
    Anyway, calling him a retard certainly isnt the way to go.
    Ignore him if you dont like what he writes.

Lars Birkemose

August 06, 2001, 08:24 AM

>Guess I should have taken the advise of a college professor of mine: "Never go into a partnership with a friend".

I had a successfull company for over 10 years with two of my besy friends. We certainly had problems, but we worked them out every time.

You plain simply have to confront him with facts. AFterall, its business... right ,o)

Lars

Peter Mackay

August 06, 2001, 09:23 AM

Good answer. Balanced and well argued.

A+

^Fishman

August 06, 2001, 09:52 AM

Using HL textures, etc. will probably get you in legal poblems.

Warden

August 06, 2001, 11:43 AM

Hey.... that hurts. I can't program a rotating triange! :)

Course I havn't tried yet. :-P Okay... I'll go now.

Lucid

August 06, 2001, 11:44 AM

developer at one of the top 5 computer makers in the world and he works in the construction/contracting industry

ever seen office space?

Lucid

August 06, 2001, 11:51 AM

Ok, I'm back...
    After 5 mins of trying, it seems I can only get it to jam with the mouse buttons... Hopefully I didnt give up too early...

Revolver

August 06, 2001, 12:06 PM

Sigh.

Robert Bear

August 06, 2001, 12:15 PM

You brought up the word "backstabbing"

I suggest you speak with him about your issues. If he has a problem, dissolve teh partnership and start anew. The problem is not going into business with friends, it's going into business with non-professionals.

Tell him your issues, and that you will dissolve the partnership if he doesn't start pulling his weight.

Oztan

August 06, 2001, 01:59 PM

If we are an amatuer group and not gonna make money out of anything, why would using half-life textures put us in legal problems?

Frogg

August 06, 2001, 03:06 PM

I was getting 170 fps on Athlon 1 gig, 256MB RAM, Geforce3

hdmx

August 06, 2001, 03:17 PM

I agree with you. His posts might seem offending but actually his are the most constructive posts. I am very tired of "keep up the good work" and "nice pic".

hdmx

Hiro Protagonist

August 06, 2001, 05:40 PM

...

dan_g

August 06, 2001, 07:52 PM

Unless you have permission from Sierra, then you are breaking copyright laws...

"You are entitled to use this product for your own use, but may not copy, reproduce, translate, publicly perform, display, or reduce to any electronic medium or machine- readable form, reproductions of the software or manual to other parties in any way, nor sell, rent or lease the product to others without prior written permission of Sierra. You may use one copy of the product on a single computer. YOU MAY NOT NETWORK THE PRODUCT OR OTHERWISE INSTALL IT OR USE IT ON MORE THAN ONE COMPUTER AT THE SAME TIME."...a quote from the Half-life EULA.

EgonOlsen

August 07, 2001, 05:17 AM

Around 6 fps in 640*480/16bpp on a crappy Celeron 466 with Intel 810e on board graphics.

Mike Howell

August 09, 2001, 02:02 PM

Nice work. I got 50+ fps in the large areas and 150+ in the tight areas on my P3/866, gf2mx(pci), 128MB.

BTW, if anyone is having trouble getting this thing to run, it has to run from the default opengl32.gll. Having a pass-through opengl dll (like xqz2) can cause this program to fail. That's my experience anyway.

I look forward to seeing other implementations (other than 1st person)