Submitted by Oztan Harmanci, posted on August 05, 2001

Image Description, by Oztan Harmanci

This is a game project(totally amateurish) I've been working on for about 4 months.(Actually we are a group of 3 but I am the only coder) Features are:
  • Lightmaps(Radiosity or simple raycasting. But radiosity is not optimized yet so these shots are raycast lighted)
  • Collision system(Greatly modified version of Paul Nettle and Telemachos's ellipsoid-poly collision detection and response)
  • CSG to WorldCraft 3.3 MAPs
  • Some eyecandy: glows, transparent surfaces, animated textures, switched textures, simple water wave effect)
  • MD2 support
  • OpenGL for rendering
  • DirectX 5.0+ for DirectInput and DirectSound(why not 8.0? I dont have the SDK and samples from my MSDN CD were for DX5.0)
  • Releasing this tech. demo was a deadline for me, now I will go back, optimize and polish the preprocessing tools and start working on enemy AI. I hope I can finish this project because I am really really sick of seeing things in first person view :).

Your feedbacks are greatly appreciated(more if you test the demo and post resulting FPS and your machine properties here)

Download Website: http://www.geocities.com/proje_x/

Cheers.

PS: Guns are from Action Quake2, textures from CS, HL.

CrazySwede

August 05, 2001, 03:44 PM

Those pics look really nice. Unfortunatly I'm downloading
    another large file right now, 600 MB, But I will try your
    demo tomorrow.

The lightning looks great even if you haven't done it with
    radiosity yet.

xEricx

August 05, 2001, 04:05 PM

Nice work!

60 fps on my athlon thunderbird 900 with GeForce2 32mb

Paladin

August 05, 2001, 04:07 PM

Nice demo. The graphics were very Quake2ish. I did like the hand moving as you held the gun. The only thing i noticed is that when I was on the bridge, the jump would catch if I was against the railing. Besides that, it ran great and FPS where very high. 30+. At 16 bit resolutions I was averaging 70 FPS. I am running Win2k 1.1G AMD, ATI Radeon 64M, and 1G of RAM. Enjoyed the demo, thanks.

p.s. Nice Playboy. Hard to see who that was on the cover :)

MC BAXTON

August 05, 2001, 04:53 PM

Nice.. but Zero(&originality, sizeof(orginality));
    and bool IsUnderground(){return true;} bool IsJail(){return true;}

that1guy

August 05, 2001, 06:01 PM

Looks great! Ran at 50+ fps on my p3 733, GeForce2mx at 800x600x16bit.. I did find something a little odd in the mouse controls, sometimes the mouse sensitivity would drop requiring me to pick up the mouse, move it over and put it back down, at other times it would be fine.. it seemed to happen most when standing near and looking at a wall.. either way.. very nice =)

-t1g

malkia

August 05, 2001, 06:21 PM

sounds good!

Jordan

August 05, 2001, 07:02 PM

You're a retard.

Jordan

August 05, 2001, 07:03 PM

Reminds me of Bond :]. I'm not going to attempt running it on my computer because it'll run too slow, but keep up the great work.

Navreet Gill

August 05, 2001, 07:09 PM

nice... looks like counter strike if you ask me :-P.

Tell us more your experiences with the culling algorithm, was it easy to implement? is it fast? (compared to the octree).

Good luck.

-Navreet

George Ziniewicz

August 05, 2001, 07:21 PM

Very impressive engine.

Results w/ my hp w/ 1 gig athlon, GeForce2 on win98: 70-110 fps.

First it crashed hard when I exited to try and change mouse sensitivity.

After a reboot, it crashed hard again on another gui exit.

After another reboot, it ran ok.

I was surprised that it quit to desktop when I pressed ESC from the game, instead of returning to the menu.

Where are the bullets?

zin

George Ziniewicz

August 05, 2001, 07:29 PM

...

And on my next run, to try out the small map (the demo maze and underground was cool) on the very first move, it froze hard.

it was showing 280 fps BTW.

I think I'll stop now.

zin

malkia

August 05, 2001, 07:48 PM

Afferim! Mashalla!

quite advanced - menus/3d works/
    nice work!

i liked the way fingers move on the pistol!

SirKnight

August 05, 2001, 08:08 PM

Your an idiot plain and simple. Why the hell dont you post anything here, you bad mouth everyone's work yet you dont have a DAMN thing to show your work. Hell, i bet you couldn't program a rotating triangle if you tried. Loser.

SirKnight

August 05, 2001, 08:11 PM

Pretty cool. I was really impressed by your menu, it felt professional. I almost felt like i was playing Counter Strike mod of HL there for a while since the models and the textures (at least most i think) were from HL/CS. :) But hey, its great.

-SirKnight

Sheep

August 05, 2001, 09:11 PM

Thanks for sharing. I'll write a longer reply once I've finished reading this book I'm reading.

Craig Rennie

August 05, 2001, 11:47 PM

I thought it was a general rule of thumb that everybody just ignores what he says. everybody knows hes an idiot, no need to waste time telling him that.

Craig Rennie

August 05, 2001, 11:49 PM

nah they aren't, the models are from action quake, similar, but different in so many ways.

Lucid

August 06, 2001, 01:03 AM

Pretty good... Just a few quick suggestions...

1. It seems that a control can jam... Such as firing/jumping via mouse buttons can jam and repeat the same action multiple times...
    2. When the I specified to use my right mouse button as jump, I noticed that it didnt remove the control that was previously assigned to the button.. So when I jumped, I also zoomed in...

HTH, later

ClockWork

August 06, 2001, 01:43 AM

why doesnt kurt just ban him? he's the biggest flamebait i have seen since the days when BBS's used to reign.

Mark Schmidt

August 06, 2001, 02:02 AM

Not really a comment on the demo itself, but a comment/question on the accompanying text. Here's the text:

"(Actually we are a group of 3 but I am the only coder) "

What do the other 2 do? How is your work load compared to theirs? Are you happy that you are in it with 2 other people?

The reason I ask is because I started a company (only 1 product so far and not a game) with my best friend who has 0 technical skills (big mistake here). So, I stay up almost every night until 3:00 in the morning coding my a#$ off while he rarely spends anytime doing anything, and this is a 50/50 partnership. It wasn't until we started receiving a revenue stream that it hit me that he's getting money for doing jack!

So, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I want him out since he isn't doing anything and don't think he'll match my technical skills ever (I'm also a developer at one of the top 5 computer makers in the world and he works in the construction/contracting industry and can barely navigate Windows). On the other hand, he's my best friend and telling him to leave could possibly ruin out friendship.

Guess I should have taken the advise of a college professor of mine: "Never go into a partnership with a friend".

If anyone has advice/comments and not just Oztan, I'd appreciate it.

-Mark

Kurt Miller

August 06, 2001, 02:25 AM

Makes you wonder if it would actually be a good or bad thing (for your situation), if your friend were to run across this post of yours :).

Dean Nevins

August 06, 2001, 02:37 AM

What you should do is to start another company (sans friend) and at the same time start doing some major slacking on your current company. After awhile quit working on the old company and stay up late with your new one. If your friend is truly doing Jack then he probably won't notice your slacking and the company will die a slow (but not horrible) death. You're then free to work on your new company and try to figure out how to deal with him when he realizes what's up... That's another post...

Oztan

August 06, 2001, 02:39 AM

Thanks everybody and I apologize for the crashes. On my computer(PIII800 win98) it is stable, otherwise I wouldnt release and ask for testing.

Currently I know it is pretty dull and offers nothing original, it reminds HL or CS (since environment belongs to them) and it looks like Quake2 (because weapons are from Quake2 thus has Q2's 256 color palette on them).

3D Engine is not optimized yet. I am doing frustum culling and culling from potential occluders(similar to frustum culling but this time what is not seen is decided) in real time. I use a structure similar to Octrees to do this fast. I am not thinking of working on the 3D Engine(grafix part) until I have a game that can be played.

Gameplay will not be any attractive at all compared to contemporary games and that is inevitable for small development groups. My current goal is to have a game engine at the level of Quake2. I need to get to the first floor to reach 2nd floor :)

George Ziniewicz:
    Actually in the options->controls, it says that (F1: Menu) which is configurable. ESC is hard-coded for exiting if anything goes wrong.
    Bullets will come...(one day hopefully)

Lucid:
    I never experienced any jamming yet. Is it only in the mouse buttons or does it also jam for keyboard inputs?

that1guy:
    I couldnt understand your problem with the mouse. Can you explain it again? What I think of is: looking at a wall -> frame rate goes high -> if smooth mouse is on, sampling is done faster(I sample in between frames) -> filtering becomes more effective thus gives different feeling.

malkia:
    Greets for the weapon models goes to Action Q2 model makers. :)

Thanks again.

Oztan

August 06, 2001, 02:55 AM

hi Mark. I wish I could help, but my situation is very different then yours: We are amateurs. We are doing this for fun.

But what I observe is you are already ruining the friendship from your side, so find a way to stop working with him.

Oztan

Thomas Young

August 06, 2001, 03:00 AM

Offer to buy him out?
    You could look at it as your penance for entering into an unwise partnership :)
    It doesnt have to be an overly generous offer. You can point out at the same time that you seem to be doing all the work.

Alternatively you could carry on. Sounds like he would make a good 'manager' for the project :))

RyseFtk

August 06, 2001, 04:20 AM

I know some people will hate me for saying this but I treasure Baxtons posts. Some are ridiculous, I admit that, but he generally keeps his mouth shut on things that one can keep his mouth shut about (like pool pictures), he usually brings things to the point and never EVER says things like "You are a retard" or stuff. His posts are criticism.... and most constructive even.

The current post features a rare word from Baxton: Nice. He appreciates the work well done. Then he uses a funny style to explain what he thinks the demo/shots lack. He states they are unoriginal, which might be bad for anything you want to release for money, and they are in a very common setting (underground & jail).

GO MC-BAXTON!

Taharez

August 06, 2001, 04:30 AM

Looking good.
    Froze once when I tried to select 'cancel' in the controls configuration, no problems otherwise yet.
    20-25 fps in 1280x1024x32 on
    P3-450
    384Mb RAM
    TNT2 Ultra 32Mb
    Win2k

Taharez

August 06, 2001, 04:32 AM

uhm, one more thing. Maybe make the resolution selection box a little easier to scroll, it takes a looong time to get to to bottom. There's also 3 entries for 1280x960..

Mournblade

August 06, 2001, 04:37 AM

Because if Kurt did he'd only create another account and flame even more. No point in fanning the fires...

MikeW

August 06, 2001, 04:52 AM

The problem with doing this is that the current company will own all the assets so (depending on any IP agreements etc... signed) you would not be able to take you source code (for example) with you (but you are free to re-write it). If the company has no IP agreement or the like you may be able to get away with taking the source code with you.

Alternatively (if he is a friend) talk to him about doing the non-technical things like all the tax crap, PR and marketing.

Mike.