Submitted by Paul Nettle, posted on August 02, 2001

Image Description, by Paul Nettle

"How I spent my summer vacation" -- No polygons. No TPS. No FPS. No vertices, matrices or occlusion schemes. No if/else constructs, no conditional branches. No packets & no buffers to overflow. No keyboards and no keys. Just family, lots of water, lots of refreshing drinks, lots of sun and a very good book.

That is precisely the point. :)

- MidNight

ClockWork

August 02, 2001, 11:50 PM

using namespace std;

Andreas Magnusson

August 03, 2001, 12:37 AM

Hehe, you don't know what your asking ;). I have only three days before I go back home (after a 4 month visit in Thailand) and I have seriously caught the longing. I wish I was home already coding. But hey that's what they tell us, the grass is always greener...

Densun

August 03, 2001, 12:54 AM

That's a very refreshing picture.

z66831

August 03, 2001, 01:10 AM

It's a testament to the readership of the site that someone actually CORRECTED HIS CODE.

That rocks. :)

-z

Espyria

August 03, 2001, 01:42 AM

I bet the pool water had a slight touch of yellow before you did color adjustment in Photoshop?! And it looks like a quite small boat, doesn't it? That vacation couldn't possibly have been pleasant, there's a lot of blood stains on the deck! My guess is that you really didn't leave work at home?

btw, One of my computers broke down yesterday and I forgot my cell phone on the bus this morning. I think I despise everyone that have the guts to post a nice vacation pic!!! :)

Subzero

August 03, 2001, 02:29 AM

Yeah I know these small boat trip pools,
everyone pees in there because the toilet is too far away :)
Hope you washed yourself after using the pool :))
I dont know what cruise this was but I only see FAMILY people,
no chicks, no beer, no dancing ,no beach.....
To bad......

I am going next week to some REAL cool vacations to Crete, Greece.
The greek islands cant be beaten in the summer.

Happy coding :)

I also intend to take Rael time Rendering (the book) with me for
reading on the beach :)

Buster

August 03, 2001, 03:32 AM

But seriously though, how's the cruise as far as the women are concerned?

Is it all old grannies and chicks already hooked up with guys or is there potential to score?

Samy

August 03, 2001, 03:39 AM

It s OK ??
It s COOL ??

No Mater ???

It s very cool holydays no ???

samy

Pants

August 03, 2001, 04:08 AM

STOP IT! STOP IT ALL OF YOU!!!! The "this is a rubish engine" *Jokes* have gone too far!

STOP IT! OR I MUST KILL YOU ALL!

hehe

Pete

Samy

August 03, 2001, 04:14 AM

Engine ???

What is it ????

Can you explain me please

samy

Mace

August 03, 2001, 04:25 AM

MidNight: Exactly what i need :)
cant wait for my 2 week vacation..

btw, what book did you read?

Jam Sandwich

August 03, 2001, 05:10 AM

Your bathroom's really big

Lars Birkemose

August 03, 2001, 05:15 AM

Are you the one with the cowboyhat or what ?
If so... please pull your pants up, and go back to programming ;O)

Lars

Nick

August 03, 2001, 05:44 AM

The code is correct, he used std:: as scope operator.

TheChicken

August 03, 2001, 06:48 AM

This IOTD proves that flipcoders and coders in general have absolute ZERO humor!! Don't give up your day jobs please :-)

fatgraham

August 03, 2001, 06:48 AM

it just doesnt look realistic

blowndisk

August 03, 2001, 07:01 AM

huh, 1 frame per load ;)

hope you have fun out there in REAL world!

Willem

August 03, 2001, 07:17 AM

That picture's very sharp. Whereabouts did you go? Or whereabouts did that boat go?

My holiday's in 1 week. I can't wait. Sun, lager, and scantily clad girls. :)

Jam Sandwich

August 03, 2001, 07:24 AM

you haven't seen my day job

kingy

August 03, 2001, 07:34 AM

You need to get the Sense of Humour (r) plugin!

Louis Howe

August 03, 2001, 07:55 AM

Not to be crude or anything, but that girl in the two-piece at the base of the staircase just managed to pick the wrong time to have a picture taken, huh? Sorry.

onno

August 03, 2001, 08:19 AM

...Hell On Earth...

Johanob

August 03, 2001, 09:36 AM

Ah u guyz crak me up

elikez

August 03, 2001, 09:39 AM

The reason everybody are saying that's a rendering, is because they can't face the fact that this is a real vacation photo, while they are stuck at work, programming.

Ps. look at commandos 2 screenshots, they look better.

EGreg

August 03, 2001, 09:43 AM

Well that's a nice vacation! good thing you had your icq with ya so i was able to bug you the whole time, ahahahahahahaaaaaa.

What does the blurry-textured sign above the pool say? Why is it blurred? Is it supposed to warn bathers of boiling water? Or boiling white wine sauce?

What is that spilled liquid on the deck? Is it white wine sauce?

Who is that in the bottom-most part of the pool (closest to the camera) next to the red half-sphere? Why does he/she/them have two heads? Why is the child closest to him/her/them turning his head away? Just what does he find so fascinating about that buoy?

Who is that man at the top-left part of the screenshot? What is he doing? What is he holding? A refreshing drink? What is he drinking? Is it Bud Light, for the great taste that won’t fill you up and never lets you down?

What is he looking down at? Where does he think he is going? Perhaps he is the one who placed the shoes at the bottom?

let's play find paul nettle. hmm..... where is paul nettle? what is he holding? why is he swimming (or not swimming)? where is his family? why are they clinging (or not clingling) to him madly? are they afraid (or not afraid) to drown?

please fill in these important details.

-Greg

Johanob

August 03, 2001, 09:43 AM

The various complaints made above are all fair, God reminds you that he is still running the universe through a rather primitive API on an outdated OS but its computing power is nevertheless incomparable hence the problems you are having with framerate. Some of the character behaviour issues relate to the physics engine which he is in the process of recoding.

EGreg

August 03, 2001, 09:44 AM

and in case you were wondering, yes, this is a 3rd person shooter.

just look at the blood all around the pool, and the people crowding around it, look at the boy madly trying to get out. paul nettle is shooting them. with his camera!

-greg

Matthew Harmon

August 03, 2001, 09:48 AM

Three words:

NEEDS LENS FLARE

Punchey

August 03, 2001, 10:37 AM

But it's easier readin' with:
using namespace std;

Wim Libaers

August 03, 2001, 10:43 AM

And where did that include go anyway?
I mean, just include, with nothing after it, it's just not right
;-)

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 ... out of 2) Next Last