Submitted by Paul Nettle, posted on August 02, 2001

Image Description, by Paul Nettle

"How I spent my summer vacation" -- No polygons. No TPS. No FPS. No vertices, matrices or occlusion schemes. No if/else constructs, no conditional branches. No packets & no buffers to overflow. No keyboards and no keys. Just family, lots of water, lots of refreshing drinks, lots of sun and a very good book.

That is precisely the point. :)

- MidNight

RoastBeef

August 02, 2001, 06:03 PM

Wow, your non-uniform rational b-splines really give Doom3 a run for it's money. Look at the environment mapping on that water! WOW! Those high resolution textures, and high quantity of decals would kill any modern PC. How'd you do it?!

I wish I went somewhere... I never go anywhere :P I'm just sitting here, coding away...

sea cow

August 02, 2001, 06:04 PM

The old guys have too many flabby polygons, otherwise nice work on your tan!

David Olsson

August 02, 2001, 06:09 PM

Is that screen with or without particles ?

Paulus

August 02, 2001, 06:18 PM

hmmmm
nice, very nice....
But only one screenshot - Do You have a running demo of it? :)))
Greetings,
Paul(us).

Codejoy

August 02, 2001, 06:20 PM

Yeah where is the link to download this!! After two summer sessions of class and full time programming job, I could use some R&R.

Chr1701

August 02, 2001, 06:21 PM

It crashs on my Win98 SP12 with GeForce 3 :( ;)

Buster

August 02, 2001, 06:26 PM

WHYS IT SO DAM DARK!??!!

U R L4ME!!!

Punchey

August 02, 2001, 06:32 PM

Too dark. And what a tasteless game this is! Flabby, pasty flesh all over the place and even an illicit female model by the staircase picking at her butt! I wonder what ESRB rating this is going to get! And that water doesn't even look half-way real! No steamy particles effects where the water slide meets the pool. Come on, man! That's obligatory! And you definitely have some Z-fighting issues with the benches that your (too sparse) NPCs occupy. (at least I assume they're NPCs unless this is a massively multiplayer game)

Finally, you need to work on your lighting - everything's too uniformly lit - completely unrealistic. BTW, are you using static lighting for the ship's geometry or dynamic?

Hope you had a blast!
P.S. Did you get to meet Kathy Lee and her envoy of child slav- uh, servants?

Robert Hayes

August 02, 2001, 06:46 PM

Bah. You have way too many high-poly models in your level. I bet the FPS sucks!

MC BAXTON

August 02, 2001, 07:00 PM

"No keyboards and no keys. Just family"

You have quite a big family...

I see NO objects, worth attention, though. Some of them are too far away.

lycium

August 02, 2001, 07:02 PM

your jpeg compressor's quite good... no DCT artifacts anywhere... nice test picture! isn't lena the norm though?

Thunderbird

August 02, 2001, 07:06 PM

Dude, your lighting is all off, your models look totally unrealistic, and your water effects look blocky.

When I downloaded it, it ran at 1.35 fps, and it crashed on my 1ghz Athlon computer (16mb NVidia /w Windows ME).

Other than that, it looks promising.

;););););)

Robert Santa

August 02, 2001, 07:08 PM

And you call yourself a manicurist. LOL. Who cares anyway?It's not a terrain engine. Bah!!!!! :-)

danthalas

August 02, 2001, 07:27 PM

Do you really think this IOTD is funny for everyone?? I don't think so. Damn on you guy!! While others are working hard at day and night, how do you care to bring this image to us??? This is not fair, there is no justice at all, ....

:_( sigh!, well, at least someone is having a good time. I wish you to be happy this summer.

lunatic

August 02, 2001, 07:45 PM

"SimVacation" !

Awesome concept for a game!

I can't wait to play! When will it be finished? ;)

Louis Howe

August 02, 2001, 07:55 PM

Hmm, I noticed a texture map with (presumably) "Carnival" on it, did you contact them before you put that in your demo?

I like everything in this screenshot except for the pair of shoes at the bottom. Who put them there? Why? They sit alone; is this some existentialist symbol?

The characters in the pool look distraught. Is the water boiling? Why is that one boy looking so eager to remove himself from the pool, and why is he missing his legs? Why are the bystanders looking on with complacent amusement?

What does the blurry-textured sign above the pool say? Why is it blurred? Is it supposed to warn bathers of boiling water? Or boiling white wine sauce?

What is that spilled liquid on the deck? Is it white wine sauce?

Who is that in the bottom-most part of the pool (closest to the camera) next to the red half-sphere? Why does he/she/them have two heads? Why is the child closest to him/her/them turning his head away? Just what does he find so fascinating about that buoy?

Who is that man at the top-left part of the screenshot? What is he doing? What is he holding? A refreshing drink? What is he drinking? Is it Bud Light, for the great taste that won’t fill you up and never lets you down?

What is he looking down at? Where does he think he is going? Perhaps he is the one who placed the shoes at the bottom?

What are the two men in white tee-shirts at the top of the image looking at? Are they gazing at the horizon? Why? Are they sea-sick? Maybe they had too much white wine sauce, or maybe they mistook the pool water for white wine sauce? Or are they just trying to look at the sun? Why would they do that? Don't they know looking at the sun melts your retina?

Who is that boy hanging on the railing, looking at the pool? Doesn't he have the sense not to do that? Is the woman in the red bathing suit his mother? Why isn't she concerned?

What are those big red half-spheres? Are they what is dispensing the white wine sauce? Why is one big red half-sphere oriented so that it would drench the shoes?

Why does the other big red half-sphere have a dent in it? Did someone hit it with a Desert Eagle .51? Why are the bystanders so calm? Do they have god-mode enabled? Do you think the man with the Bud Light hit it, and is now calmly leaving the scene?

There is a woman in a black bathing suit at the left part of the image, exposing her back. What is the man next to her doing? Is he yelling in her ear? Why would he do that? She is right next to him, after all. Also on the left side is a blonde-haired boy with a red and white bathing suit. Did he carelessly throw his white towel over his shoulder, into the puddle of white wine sauce behind him? Doesn't he know better?

Why are the other passengers shrouded in darkness beneath the upper deck? Did the machine run out of texture memory for lightmaps? What are those objects on the windows? Are they spiders? Why aren't the characters nearby concerned? Perhaps they have god-mode enabled as well?

SamS

August 02, 2001, 08:09 PM

Ratio of pool area to people is too small!

Oh btw, this is EXACTLY what i need right now

altoids

August 02, 2001, 08:28 PM

One polygon image based rendering-- what a refreshing concept!

George Ziniewicz

August 02, 2001, 08:35 PM

Those red lights in the foreground are definitely rendered in.

Looks nothing like Amsterdam!

zin

Alex Taylor

August 02, 2001, 09:25 PM

Hope you're having a good time.

CGI Joe

August 02, 2001, 09:25 PM

What was the book?

:D

Funkymunky

August 02, 2001, 09:25 PM

Why is it that whenever someone submits a photograph, everyone suddenly thinks it'll be hilarious to pretend they think it's a render? I mean goddamn, the first post alone was enough to make me gag, do you guys really have to churn the chunks with post after post after post repeating the same stupid joke? It's not funny, it never was, and no matter how many times you do it, it never will be.

George Ziniewicz

August 02, 2001, 09:53 PM

Try caffeine-free next time.

zin

ZEN

August 02, 2001, 10:23 PM

AHHHH, look at all those kids, thats what I have heard is bad about carnival (unless you have them I guess). Went on a cruise with them about 10years ago and it was great.

ZEN

Brian k

August 02, 2001, 10:32 PM

Ok ok... enough with the joking about the pic being 'rendered'...
It is funny the first few times, but then it gets old when EVERYONE starts doing it...

Anyway, hope you had fun on your vacation.

David Olsson

August 02, 2001, 10:41 PM

Bad day ?

pull9

August 02, 2001, 10:50 PM

#include

int main( ) {
std::cout

Justin Wilder

August 02, 2001, 10:56 PM

Well, I guess it's better than goatse.

prolo

August 02, 2001, 11:10 PM

I bet that's just what you needed! I hope that book wasn't on any computer related material!!

RoastBeef

August 02, 2001, 11:31 PM

I'll bet it's cuz you're getting low fps running his test demo? Try turning on vertex lighting, and low detail models. It solved a crash on my computer, but I still only got 5fps :( Hopefully you'll solve your problem...

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 ... out of 2) Next Last