Submitted by Samuel Cantin, posted on July 31, 2001

Image Description, by Samuel Cantin

OK OK !!!!

Ship are not mine but i like a lot HomeWorld.

Here 's 2 screenShot of my Space Application.
  • Firts you can see Octree
  • Second you can see ship in action with collision détection.
  • This is not a project but just an application to learn again and again !!!!

Ok see you soon !!!!

Samy

August 01, 2001, 04:08 AM

Hello ALL !!!

Thanks for you comment.

For Fire in space:
    I don't care about it, i know ther is not fire in space but it s not a matter !!!

For Octree

I you want code so you can write me to this EMAIL Samuel.CAntin@wanadoo.fr

And in exchange if you have code about Landscape in SPLATTING TEXTURE so i take it too !!! Thanks !!!

THANKS to flip code for this IOTD

Friendly to all

SAMY

Samy

August 01, 2001, 04:10 AM

I made a mistake about
    "For Octree
    I used it for SPACE PARTITIONNING for detection collision with the Big SHIP. If you know other technique so i give it and thanks a lot !! "

i want say
    "
    For Octree
    I used it for SPACE PARTITIONNING for detection collision with the Big SHIP. If you know other technique so i TAKE it and thanks a lot !!
    "

excuse for my english !!

Jam Sandwich

August 01, 2001, 04:14 AM

It's really scary that people don't know what Elite is.

I'm so old.

Samy

August 01, 2001, 04:21 AM

About fire in space

It s very possible !!!
    because my missils are a new generation with oxygen.
    and oxygen is just here to produce fire in space !!
    when missil explode all ennemy are very happy to see a beautiful fire !!!

Friendly

Samy

Mace

August 01, 2001, 04:55 AM

heh, interesting discussions :)
    fire or no fire.

Lasers are invisible in space too right, but imagine a space game with
    ships just making sounds when they shoot and then suddenly a ship explodes. Would be kinda lame :)

Nice screenshots, i like your background gas/nebula.
    Your fire looks kinda interesting too.
    Is it made up of particles/textured quads?

Jan Niestadt

August 01, 2001, 05:21 AM

> ships just making sounds when they shoot

Sounds? There's no sound in space either.. So that game would really be two ships floating around and one suddenly getting damaged for no apparent reason. If that isn't great gameplay I don't know what is. ;-)

Mournblade

August 01, 2001, 05:24 AM

Like the explosions at the end of Event Horizon.

(Good film btw.)

Samy

August 01, 2001, 05:25 AM

Response for MACE
    Particule are made with triangle FAN or STRIP i don't remember.

Explosion
    I take the system of Homeworld game. The have made an 3D object as
    1/6 sphere (or coupole) and the give orientation as Bilboard.
    They apply explosion texture and they apply a constante rotation.

It is look very nice.

If you have Homeworld game , take a look at explosion and you will see it s not simple quad rendering.

Friendly

Samy

Mournblade

August 01, 2001, 05:27 AM

Sequel? We're now on number 4!

Supposedly they were getting the source to 2 & 3 ported to gcc and were going to release it under LGPL or something. I haven't visited back there in ages so I dunno. I'll have a check later on.

And it is very scary that people don't know about Elite.

Espyria

August 01, 2001, 05:28 AM

Well, I think at least one should mention 'Starion' as an oldtimer 3d space sim. I had a wonderful time with my ZX Spectrum 48k (RAM!).

Mournblade

August 01, 2001, 05:37 AM

I remember two ship in the original elite on the Commodore 64. The first was the constrictor which could only be killed by Military Lasers and you had to hunt him to the second galaxy. And the second was a ship that never appeared on scanner but no information was given about it even after you managed to kill it (a simple exercise of 'running away' from it and lining up you rear guns and holding fire:-) I never got past Dangerous. I should go back a play but I can't be bothered. I'd much rather program them nowadays.

duncanj

August 01, 2001, 07:15 AM

Elite was implemented on a whole range of machines, using first wireframe graphics, then shaded wireframe etc. I remember it was one of the first game to use Gouraud shading - can anyone back me up on this?

Since then, Frontier has been released, which was good but suffered a bit from it's 'too realistic' controls.

For a similar type of game, I would definitely recommend "X - beyond the frontier" from Egosoft, as it's just like Elite, with good graphics and excellent missions.

But if you want to know how to accomplish a lot with very little resources, look deeper into Elite.

Duncan

BLiTZWiNG

August 01, 2001, 08:53 AM

Actually, if you have a procedurally generated planet, you have a hell of a lot of polys... and if you have an entire galaxy of planets, you need a way to not render them.. specially if you are say in orbit above a planet that has a lot of space stations and ships.. yes I know no such game exists... but I am working on it...

davepermen

August 01, 2001, 09:07 AM

hm.. i had a flatshaded version of elite, it whas funny.. i never got anything under control, but it whas funny

Squint

August 01, 2001, 09:35 AM

People dont know elite. Dear God. For those that truly loved it, you might want to see 'JumpGate' which is a kind of multiplayer version (pay per month so I gave up, but I was beta testing it and it was a good laugh).

As for fires in space, surely if you punch something really hot through the hull of a compressed oxygen bottle (aka space ship) it will spray flames like a welding torch, space or no space :o)

tuler

August 01, 2001, 10:11 AM

That was an irony?
    Damn, this is one of the worst movie I've ever seen!

Invhunter

August 01, 2001, 10:13 AM

I think the game Tau Ceti was before Elite....

.-wXm-.

August 01, 2001, 11:09 AM

eeh.?.?

Revolver

August 01, 2001, 11:31 AM

Who wants explosions without fire? BOORRRIIINNGG!

Kaffiene

August 02, 2001, 07:37 AM

Oops! Yeah - I knew this was version 4 they're working on - wrong choice of words :-)

I personally rate Elite as the best game of all time.

Maz

August 03, 2001, 02:59 PM

fantastic thanks

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 ... out of 2) Next Last