Submitted by Samuel Cantin, posted on July 31, 2001

Image Description, by Samuel Cantin

OK OK !!!!

Ship are not mine but i like a lot HomeWorld.

Here 's 2 screenShot of my Space Application.
  • Firts you can see Octree
  • Second you can see ship in action with collision détection.
  • This is not a project but just an application to learn again and again !!!!

Ok see you soon !!!!

Navreet Gill

July 31, 2001, 06:57 PM

Come on guys!

"You think in such three dimensional terms."
    -Borg Queen

It might be in another universe, where "space" is filled with some sort of a medium, and perhaps oxygen?

James Fingleton

July 31, 2001, 07:01 PM

Elite was the first true 3d game. It was initially released on the BBC B micro by two guys from Cambridge uni called David Braben and Ian Bell. It was all wireframe with black background and small dots as stars. Not only was it the first 3d game, but it was also the first game to offer complete freedom in that you could go out and do what the hell you liked. (For me, this was becomming a smuggler :)

I played this game CONSTINTLY when I was like 9 or 10. My true great accomplishment was that I actually found a generation ship!!! These ship's existence was only hinted at in the manual, but I found one! Unfortunalty I decided to attack it and I was quickly blown to bits by an escorting fighter :(

I have many happy memories of playing Elite.

There have been other versions of elite, but only the original on the old bbc did it for me.

David Braben's company (www.frontier.co.uk) is apparantly making a new Elite.

BTW, quality IOTD.

Surely you CAN have explosions in space. As far as I understand it, that's how rocket engines work!!! And the cumbustuable mediam doesn't have to be gas, it could be liquid or solid rocket fuel!!!!

XycsoscyX

July 31, 2001, 07:30 PM

Nice image, I like the laserish effect. As for fire in space, of course, the kool thing about fire in space is that there is no gravity, so it floods out in waves because it continually pushes combustable materials away from the point of detonation. it's move like a liquid surface than a burst. But anyways, as for the octree part, I don't think he's including the ship, it seems just as a demonstration on the word mesh to show the functionality of it. And as for using it in space simulations, it works nicely because you can cull LARGE portions of space without much calculations. But instead of culling the polygons through the tree, you cull objects. Same principle, different implementation. If this is how he's doing it, I dunno, but that's just a simple method for culling in a space type environment.

Kurt Miller

July 31, 2001, 07:42 PM

Maz

July 31, 2001, 07:59 PM

that really cool

any chance of a source realease ? i would be most interested in seeing your octree code.. im into octrees in a big way, and i havent seen too many sources off them..

ship models are very nice, id like to see them in action..
    cant wait till you come up with an actual project !

any ideas if you gonna start one up soon ?
    cheers
    -Maz

James Fingleton

July 31, 2001, 08:04 PM

>>The faq says there were no generation ships in the game. Are you sure it wasn't midnight dementia? :)

LOL. Probably! I swear I saw SOMETHING though that I didn't recognize (I knew all the ships backwards). And the escorting ship was well hard. I assumed it was a generation ship. Oh well. I suppose I'll never find out what i say :(

Punchey

July 31, 2001, 09:06 PM

I've never played it myself, by I think Elite is a little like the old Privateer, although probably better.

Mystic

July 31, 2001, 09:11 PM

Dude...

The sun is a mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace...
    where hydrogen is built into helium at a temperature millions of degrees...
    the sun is hot, the sun is not a place in where we could live...
    but here on earth there'd be no life without the light it gives.

anyways... the sun is a star, it burns lots of gasses. it is on fire... it creates heat and light... it is in a vaccuum yes, but is it still combustion? yes.

-Mystic

Mystic

July 31, 2001, 10:19 PM

besides, how would you explain thrust for the space shuttle

Kurt Miller

July 31, 2001, 10:39 PM

Ask "Particle Man"

DirtyPunk

July 31, 2001, 10:47 PM

Looks good :)

Your octree might be a little bit on the high res side (unless those fonts are made up from LOTS of little triangles :)

a_j_harvey

July 31, 2001, 11:30 PM

And Elite was already old when privateer first saw the light of day :)

zed zeek

August 01, 2001, 12:17 AM

AFAIK the first 3d game was an arcade one 'I ROBOT'

Kaffiene

August 01, 2001, 01:23 AM

Elite was the greatest game ever! It was the game that made me want to buy a computer in the first place.

Supposedly, David Braben is working on a sequel, see:

but it's really low on details

Shplorb

August 01, 2001, 01:56 AM

Newtons' 1st (?) says that for ever action there is an equal and opposite reaction. When the rocket fuel burns and is converted to gas, the gas pushes on the rocket motor, but can only escape through the exhast, thereby creating an imbalance of force which is what propels the rocket through space.
    As for how the fuel combusts, see above response to TNT exploding under water.

Shplorb

August 01, 2001, 02:05 AM

TNT works in the absence of Oxygen because it provides its own.
    All explosives work this way.
    Think of a smoke bomb: Potassium Nitrate and plain ordinary household sugar.
    If I recall my chemistry right, the sugar is providing the oxygen for the Potassium Nitrate.
    Hence it doesn't need oxygen from the atmosphere to burn. Hence why explosives work under water and in mine bores where there is not Oxygen.

But as for fire in space, well there can be, but it would probably use up all the oxygen so quickly that you wouldn't be able to see it.

Now there's an interesting experiment for NASA - they should send up a large explosive charge and film it being detonated. =]

DAL9000

August 01, 2001, 02:07 AM

Uhmm, just so you know, a "combustion" reaction has a fairly strict defintion under chemistry. A combustion reaction is defined as a reaction where a reagent combines with oxygen in an exothermic reaction to produce carbon dioxide (and usually water). The sun is *NOT* an example of combustion.

ON THE OTHER HAND. Explosions and fire of sorts can exist in space, but they're pretty short-lived, since the oxygen is both consumed and diffused at a very high rate.

DAL9000

August 01, 2001, 02:09 AM

Oh and by the way, the oxygen doesn't have to be FREE to react and form an explosion/fire. That's how rocket fuels work, the oxygen is locked up in an oxidizer which combines with the fuel to create the reaction.

Mark Friedenbach

August 01, 2001, 02:27 AM

That is true, and it wouldn't really look like 'fire' either (if you could see it) - it would likely be a bit more spherical in shape due to microgravity.

August 01, 2001, 03:30 AM

Yes the first shot is a space scene !!!!

August 01, 2001, 03:35 AM

Accor is the name of society in France.
    And it s the best in hostel around the world !!!!!!!

friendly

iMalc

August 01, 2001, 03:38 AM

Looks nice. You aren't doing self shadowing are you?
    That ship is an odd mix of curved and flat surfaces.

I don't quite get the advantage of using Octrees over xyz-trees aka K-D-trees? Or in this case something else?

They might be Giants, eh Mystic!

August 01, 2001, 03:41 AM

My terrain engine is stoped at now.
    I program it sometime to add one or tow feature.

But i'm on different application. I have begining an TRON Application but i haven't got finished it.

Friendly

August 01, 2001, 03:43 AM

Octree is for SPACE PARTITIONNING !!

And if you want to explain me the other tree so i give it !!!

Thanks

August 01, 2001, 03:45 AM

I don't understand what you mean can you explain more please???

August 01, 2001, 03:47 AM

Yes i can give you source code and so all.
    I will send you a copy

August 01, 2001, 03:49 AM

The small ship is Homeworld game so ok !!!

The big model, is the name of my society.
    I have made it with 3DS.
    And about texturing i don't remenber excuse me !!!

samy

August 01, 2001, 03:51 AM

Yes i know but it is not a matter !!!

I like explosion as it !!!

August 01, 2001, 03:52 AM

And what do you want to know exactly !!!!

August 01, 2001, 04:01 AM

Octree is used for SPACE PARTIONNING.
    I use it for Collision detection.

But if you have an other idea i give it because i don't all technique of programming.

Ok thanks for your good comment

Friendly

Samy

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 ... out of 2) Next Last