Submitted by Jan Turan, posted on July 27, 2001

Image Description, by Jan Turan

Here are some screens from our isometric diablo like game engine. The game is far to be finished but we have already a playable tech demo ( www.3dpeople.de/game/setup.exe )

Some features of the game engine are:
  • rendered through directx7
  • fake dynamic per pixel lightning
  • particle system
  • scripted ingame movies
  • diablo style gameplay
  • true 3d objects
  • advanced shadow casting
  • great object oriented ingame editor with layers, events, fast editing
  • unlimited zoom
  • etc
  • The entire engine is my work, so if you have some questions, feel free to contact me (elesgal@3dpeople.de)

Jan Turan

Jason Filsinger

July 28, 2001, 07:02 PM

BAXTON> Who Cares?

Adrian White

July 28, 2001, 11:19 PM

Some people can't even spell professional, and when they're being so deliberately pedantic about someone elses messages it makes them look even more pathetic! :P

xEricx

July 29, 2001, 03:27 AM

2 things I found out trying the engine

1 - after fireing those blue things (probably ice I don't remember, some vegetation disapeared, I thought hey! that might be a hidden passage, but that wasn't)

2 - you shouldn't block the user to go where a monster was killed, I got stock in the stairs after killing some of those evil eyes

Hope it helps

xEricx

MC BAXTON

July 29, 2001, 11:21 AM

It ran a bit too slow on my PIII 450 384MB, win2k
    By saying too slow I mean that movement is not smooth... Usually my hardware is good enough for smooth gaming.
    Seems like lighting takes to much processor time
    And scene could be lit a little bit more, but probably its my dark monitor (or summer sun ?)

That eye looks a bit repetitive, maybe some more monsters or more random elements would help, but of course its unfinished.

But overall impact is good, and graphics is nice.

AticAtac

July 29, 2001, 12:35 PM

Very nice demo !
    It ran smooth on my notebook (1Ghz, Geoforce 2 Go Mobile).
    In my opinion you should make player running faster, that gives
    the engine the impression that it runs faster.

Sehr gute Arbeit und weiter so !

INFerNa|

July 29, 2001, 03:26 PM

Demo ran nicely on my pII450 TNT2U32mb with 384mb ram. The control scheme needs a bit more work though. I found myself continuously having to move and re-aim at the eye monsters only to have the guy missing when I was clicking right on the eye. kinda frustrating. I also wonder was there any goal in the demo after killing all the eye monsters?
    I killed em all then walked around for a bit and a bug emergerd:
    All of a sudden the walking noise started adding extra "tracks" of itself every time I clicked to move. Each 'track" looped continuously and soon it became quite crazy with at least 20-30 tracks of the walking noise all playing at once, infintely looped.
    I use a creative sb live! value, if thats of any use for finding the bug.

INFerNa|

[-WD40-]

July 29, 2001, 05:03 PM

MC BAXTON:
    "Some people have incredible ability to say nothing at all... but they're talking ! "

that's a nice way to describe yourself, I couldn't have done better.

For the game/engine: looks good but I don't like those sort of game, I hate point and click games, zelda however was the coolest game of this genre because you actually could move the player using a game pad and attack using the buttons on the game pad...I wish more developpers would go back to that style of gameplay I just loved it. It was so much more immersive because you WERE the player instead of POINTING where the player should go...

RyseFtk

July 30, 2001, 04:16 AM

These shots look amazing! Although I completely stopped all types of "Diablo-Style" games as Asheron's Call gave me the rest (which is a 3d Diablo, if you look at it) this one might make me try another one =)

Oh, and one thing: I personally LIKE MCBAXTONS comments... they stay on topic at least...

Jan Turan

July 30, 2001, 02:27 PM

Sorry for the late response but I was on holliday :)

I have answered randomly on some of the question:

The engine use Direct3D, so every object in the scene could be 3D (own 3d format),
    but now only the characters are 3d models. Later we will put there some huge 3d
    animated models. The rest of the scene use bilboarding (there's no camera rotation in
    the engine so it's good and looks better, BTW the zooming in the game is on the F11 and
    F12 keys).

The engine support tiling like diablo (but the tile could be rotated, lighted, colored,
    stretched, morphed ... because it's rendered with direct3D) and also big prerendered landscapes like infinity engine games (baldur's gate, icewind dale), but not loaded realtime from the cache file like there.

The demo has a problem with ATI cards, I use w-buffer and it seems to be not supported
    on ATI cards. The problem is already solved (I simply use z-buffer on ATI).

The entire demo with the game engine was made in one month :) but the graphics engine
    is a bit older, I started working on it in january. That's my first big program, I am a fresh graduate at Technical University in Kosice (I have study informatics). The demo was made by 1 programmer (me), 3 artists and 1 designer. There are lot of bugs in the tech demo and thanks for finding some of them :) We have tested the engine only on 5 computers.

The engine has more movement techniques (classical realtime strategy technique with scrolling, unit selection, fog of war + NOX and Ultima Online style with direct unit movement + Diablo 2 style).

The tech demo is playable but with no ending.

At the end I appologies for my english but I'm slovak (look to the east of the europe)
    and don't have time to correct my texts :) If you like my work send me a mail. It make
    a sense to my work (nearly like money :)))

Jan Turan

Paladin

July 31, 2001, 11:18 PM

I have the ATI problem with your current demo download. I see the character's shadow, but that's it. monsters dont show up either. If you have an updated demo fixing the ATI problem, I'd love to check out your game. But what I can see is very cool. Nice Artwork.

Grugnorr

October 29, 2001, 12:02 PM

.-News about this tech demo.

.-It has evolved to a very nice looking game called Cult, wich had good previews in tha magazines...

.-Good work!, good luck 3DPeople...