Submitted by Jan Turan, posted on July 27, 2001

Image Description, by Jan Turan

Here are some screens from our isometric diablo like game engine. The game is far to be finished but we have already a playable tech demo ( www.3dpeople.de/game/setup.exe )

Some features of the game engine are:
  • rendered through directx7
  • fake dynamic per pixel lightning
  • particle system
  • scripted ingame movies
  • diablo style gameplay
  • true 3d objects
  • advanced shadow casting
  • great object oriented ingame editor with layers, events, fast editing
  • unlimited zoom
  • etc
  • The entire engine is my work, so if you have some questions, feel free to contact me (elesgal@3dpeople.de)

Jan Turan

Kalani Thielen

July 27, 2001, 01:59 PM

Nice!

When you say, "true 3D objects," does that mean that every object in the clips above (sans particle systems I assume) has an associated mesh and textures?

If not, how do you differentiate between sprites and solid geometry?

Finally, what do you mean by "etc?"

ecko_53

July 27, 2001, 02:14 PM

This was done VERY VERY VERY good, keep up the good work. The only thing I noticed with the engine is that the player doesn't exactly shoot the exact way of the mouse, although it wasn't too bad =)

ROOKIE

July 27, 2001, 02:16 PM

SWEET! You developed the entire engine? That is incredible. What other projects have you completed prior to beginning work on something like this? Did you design the entire engine to be object oriented? How much of the code would you estimate was reusable? Where did you get your graphics/art?

Derek Simkowiak

July 27, 2001, 02:24 PM

How can an engine that's "isometric" have objects which are "true 3D"? Please explain.

Paul

July 27, 2001, 02:26 PM

Excellent work!

Myrmecophagavir

July 27, 2001, 02:37 PM

Nice work there, it looks good. Nice to see something different for a change.

Derek, 'isometric' only applies to the type of projection used, where distances remain unchanged by perspective. Any 3D scene can be projected in this way, though it's really only useful for this sort of game.

Myrmy

max621

July 27, 2001, 02:50 PM

Oh, I thought isometric just meant the angle never changed... and ortho projection is the one where distance does not effect rendering.

tcs

July 27, 2001, 03:02 PM

The screens look incredible professional, like artwork from a company in the biz. This lighting is all done realtime ? And the characters are real 3D objects that cast dynamic shadows ? Pretty cool, maybe I'll check out the tech-demo.

Tim

Max

July 27, 2001, 03:16 PM

I checked out the demo, pretty neat. The background art is very professional, I'd say it's on par with the artwork for Diablo 2.

How long have you guys worked on this?

Max

Adam Hoult

July 27, 2001, 03:29 PM

Actually Isometric projection IS a form of ortho projection. IIRC the most common viewing angles for Isometric projection are 45 or 60 degrees.

Websters defines Isometric projection as the following...

"A species of orthographic projection, in which but a single plane of projection is used. It is so named from the fact that the projections of three equal lines, parallel respectively to three rectangular axes, are equal to one another. This kind of projection is principally used in delineating buildings or machinery, in which the principal lines are parallel to three rectangular axes, and the principal planes are parallel to three rectangular planes passing through the three axes. "

For those wondering the definition of Orthographic Projection

"that projection which is made by drawing lines, from every point to be projected, perpendicular to the plane of projection...."

Just thought that might help clear things up :)

Adam Hoult
    Course Instructor

dom

July 27, 2001, 03:46 PM

In agreement with tcs here: these shots are extremely professional.

Very, very good work. Superb art.

LacrosseGoalie

July 27, 2001, 04:58 PM

The engine is amazing, however, the sprites for the enemies and the player do not show up on my computer...you can see the shadows of them, however.

Kurt Miller

July 27, 2001, 05:27 PM

The demo was very nice, and I love the artwork, but something a little strange happened. I left my desk to grab the phone, and when I returned, the camera in the demo was jumping all over the place, as if I was moving the mouse around the viewport erratically. Other than that, it looked great. Nice work...

lxnyce

July 27, 2001, 05:29 PM

Must say...damn good looking screenshots. Been a while since I seen something so nice and different.

silkyslim

July 27, 2001, 05:43 PM

Excellent work! It ran nicely on a 1.1 GHz Athlon / 128MB RAM / TNT2.

IMO, The only things that kept it from looking like a commercial quality game (I realize this was just a pre-release tester):

- The player's character "ice skates" across the ground. In other words, his walking animation wasn't in sync with the velocity at which he moved. Oh yeah, and the footstep audio should also reflect the type of terrain the hero is walking on.

- Camera/hero stops too abruptly. A nice smooth slow down when the user stops clicking would really polish it off.

Everything else is great. Like I said, this is top quality work. Especially for a tech demo!

xEricx

July 27, 2001, 05:46 PM

The shots look very professionnal, I can't wait to get home to test it!

(at work I'm stuck with NT4 :/)

Keep on the good work!

Garett Bass

July 27, 2001, 07:40 PM

Very nice IotD! Unfortunately, the demo crashes at startup on my machine: PIII800, Win2k, 256MB, 32MB GeFORCE 2 MX400, nVidia 12.41 drivers, and SB Live! Platinum 5.1. Both the game and the setup apps crash with the respective messages:

game.exe
    "The instruction at 0x5c02691c referenced memory at 0x0351fa00.
    The memory could not be written."

setup.exe
    "The instruction at 0x5c02691c referenced memory at 0x029ffa00.
    The memory could not be written."

When running game.exe I can hear a loop of ambient sound with some crickets and white noise as long as the error message is up. I'd be happy to test again if you need help debugging against my setup.

Garett Bass

July 27, 2001, 07:41 PM

I should probably also mention I'm running DirectX 8 if that makes a difference.

Garett Bass

July 27, 2001, 08:03 PM

The demo ran fine on my friend's 1GHz Athlon, Win2k, 512MB, 32MB GeFORCE 2 GTS. It looks great, nice work.

freakyboy

July 27, 2001, 08:42 PM

good work!!! the demo runs quite smooth on my shaby (dual) pII 350 & tnt2 :) but i have a few suggestions:
    - the moon-walk effect is quite visible (like mentioned by silkyslim)
    - i wouldn't use this "adventure-like" click'n'go movement technique in an RPG game, it's e bit slow and irritating :) .. i don't play a lot of these RPG's, but one i know quite good, Ultima Online. there you can move your character by simply click the left mouse button to move him in the mouse-cursors direction, but it will immediately stop if you release the mouse button. i think this system is a little bit more flexible, because you can control the movement immediately, and it will be easy to implement (most of the necessary "tools" are already written) .. so give it a try :)

just my 2 cents

*tired* good night . ..

freakyboy

Paul

July 27, 2001, 09:38 PM

I ran the demo and it's absolutely beautiful! The environment is amazing!

(I ran it on a 800Mhz PIII, with 256MB RAM, and a TNT2 Ultra)

Akura

July 28, 2001, 04:14 AM

Hi adam ! :))

If I remeber correctly from enginner drawing class (dont ask) Iso is defined as a view that doesn't change size with distance and has an angle from escape point and the perpendicular plane of 60 degrees each side (which make 30 degrees from escape plane basicly

b|c/
    a|/d
    ---------

a and d = 30

b and c = 60

And size doens't change.

There are two other projections but i dont know the english names for them, one is 0/45 and other is 7/42 on a/d

Hope this is correct since it has been a 2 years since then :)

Hannu K.

July 28, 2001, 06:56 AM

If you have true 3d objects, then why do you render it as isometric? I think bird-eye view looks fabulous with perspective, just like in Grand Theft Auto. Just because you're making Diablo clone, doesn't mean you also have to copy the bad parts of it ;).

Anyway, it looks really professional and I'll try the tech demo soon.

AtheistGod

July 28, 2001, 09:17 AM

As has been established: This looks very cool!

In terms of 3D objects on a 2D background, I'd say (Without checking out the demo yet, keep in mind) that this looks like that way Postal was done. Except for the lighting, and shadows, e.c.t.

The artwork is astounding! From the screenshots I'd say on par with not Diablo II, but Bauldors Gate. The difference is that Diablo II used tile-based scenery, whereas BG uses Completely hand-drawn full-size images (If I'm not mistaken) similar to Postal.

Does this game use Tile backgrounds or full-size images?

Keep up the excellent work,

Andrew.

Garett Bass

July 28, 2001, 01:41 PM

I just realized the major difference between my machine on which the game crashes and the other machines here on which it runs fine. I have two nVidia cards in this box. So the real specs are:

PIII800, Win2k, 256MB, 32MB AGP GeFORCE 2 MX400 (primary display), 16MB PCI TNT2 (secondary display), nVidia 12.41 drivers.

I had forgotten the other card because I don't have a monitor hooked up to it right now ;) I suspect the multi-display setup somehow causes Jan's RPG demo to crash. Are any of you aware of issues with this and how to approach it? Massive props to the flipcode community.

Jonathan Olick

July 28, 2001, 01:48 PM

A little rough around the edges, needs alot more work on the controls.

Might also want to increase texture resolution. Try using DDS's. You can double texture resolution for the same memory usage. Check NVidia's site for more info.

All in all it looks like its on the path to success.

Keep up the awesome work!

Jon Olick
    Programmer
    2015, Inc.

Graham Clemo

July 28, 2001, 02:11 PM

The 45 degree one is axonometric IIRC.

Cloxs

July 28, 2001, 02:20 PM

You have one hell of an artist, nice work.

Buster

July 28, 2001, 03:07 PM

That's really cool, especially the particle effects.

My only bitch is that the UI takes up way too much space on the screen!

MC BAXTON

July 28, 2001, 06:20 PM

I im really "impressed" by most of your comments

"Finally, what do you mean by "etc?""
    "As has been established: This looks very cool!"
    "This was done VERY VERY VERY good"
    "Very, very good work"

Notice that word "very" is repeated continuously. Oviously, amount of very should compensate significant lack of words.

Its amazing how the whole comment can fit into 2 words.

The biggest nonsense is here:
    "The shots look very professionnal"
    Some people have incredible ability to say nothing at all... but they're talking !
    LOL, they even cant explain what is proffessional and why its proffessional.