Submitted by MichaŽl Schoonbrood, posted on July 19, 2001

Image Description, by MichaŽl Schoonbrood

I've started games programming last august. After reading "tips and tricks for windows game programming gurus" I started working on the required first game... a tetris clone.

Now.. A lot of the time has been spent on trying to get the 2D engine flexible (OO design) and the rest on trying to make my Tetris clone have something special.

This screenshot shows of the CoOp mode in action... and the comments I received on the game so far are very positive (I never expected them to be this good!)

I would still like to know what you proffesionals think of it ;)

the game (9MB) and source (450 k) are available on my homepage: http://play.as/madbutch

Direct links:
HaCKeR: http://users.bart.nl/~mschoonb/downloads/hacker/HaCKeR.zip
Source: http://users.bart.nl/~mschoonb/downloads/hacker/HaCKeR_Source.zip

Brandon Wood

July 19, 2001, 05:12 PM

Looks good! Nice to see its open source, good job!

--m0rphic

davepermen

July 19, 2001, 05:15 PM

did not looked at the source, did not checked the exe, but it looks great so far i can see from the picture..:) nice rendered scene with the game in, really

i'll test it tomorrow, its late here

Thunderbird

July 19, 2001, 05:31 PM

Nice looking interface:) Coop Tetris, what an interesting idea...

Evil Bill

July 19, 2001, 06:12 PM

Looks really good, i love games like this where theres a funky background, and a 'window' onto the game

Keep up the good work

Steve

a_j_harvey

July 19, 2001, 06:30 PM

That isn't programmer artwork :)

a_j_harvey

July 19, 2001, 06:40 PM

Coop mode is cool. But I didn't have anyone to try it with so I was using two hands.

Now my brain hurts.

Nieuw

July 19, 2001, 07:21 PM

Eeey Cool !!

(khad em al gezien, op Gamez.nl :)

tuler

July 19, 2001, 09:34 PM

Very nice!
The smooth movement is very good.
The input is precise. Art is great. Menus are great too.
Very well finished.

Network multiplayer would be great! :)

Congratulations,
Tuler

Paul

July 19, 2001, 09:40 PM

"I would still like to know what you proffesionals think of it ;)"

Very nice game! (I got 2677 in single player "Hacker" mode) It seems to be nicely polished. Well done.

EGreg

July 19, 2001, 10:25 PM

very nice! how did you get the pictures?

cheers!

MadButch

July 20, 2001, 02:48 AM

aah... it's good to see the experts like it :)

And that is indeed not my artwork... lol... Someone at work knew his way with 3D Studio Max, so I asked for a cross between a gameboy and the device the kid used in Terminator 2 to hack the pin machine. I even drew up how I thought it should look:
Then I just kept bugging him for a CoOp and HaCKMaTCH version ;)

That network version is being worked on... But I have to get Direct Play up and working first, which shouldn't be that hard... if it wasn't for me being in an "in between projects" resting mode.

I did some polls on what people would really like, and it seems a Bomberman clone would be very welcome... So that's gonna be my next game.

My new goal is to once make a soccer game as good as Kick Off 2 (Amiga). And I hope to find someone to draw the graphics for a platform game in the style of Wonderboy in Monsterland.

mice

July 20, 2001, 10:02 AM

Nice!!

The one who made this gfx must have been pleased when he saw you actually finished the game and that it turned out to be a fine peace of work...so why can't he do the gfx for the wonderboy game as well?!

Looking forward to some platforming action!

Buster

July 20, 2001, 10:20 AM

Professionals! Ha ha!

Game looks really good. I like the co-op mode... haven't seen that one before.

-M

MadButch

July 20, 2001, 11:53 AM

The wonderboy clone would need loads of background graphics and he currently thinks that that would be way to much work..

Maybe I can talk him into it when our next project goes smoothly to :)

I don't think he was enthusiastic at first, a lot of people where like "oh that's what we need.. another tetris clone".
But after I finished it up, he was very pleased with it... At least that's what I thought after he tried to convince me that people liked my game for the graphics mostly ;)

RCV

July 20, 2001, 02:28 PM

Nice work..
And yes bubble bobble is one of the best games ever (if not the best) :)

Paul

July 20, 2001, 04:43 PM

What's so funny?

_YEA_H_

August 16, 2001, 09:37 PM

I don't know it is a bug or not, but in 1 vs 1 mode, it is going dead when I wanna erase four lines or more. what's happening???

MadButch

August 18, 2001, 03:49 AM

I have 2 more people who reported this bug to me, one of them even made a savegame before it happens. The problem is that I can't reproduce it on my own system...

Can you confirm that ALT-TAB is still working?

_YEA_H_

August 19, 2001, 03:24 AM

no, it doesn't work. dead completely.

MadButch

September 18, 2001, 09:35 AM

The beta version with Network play in it is now available.

The update file is only 75k if you still have HaCKeR installed!

Be sure to read the news update on my site ( http://play.as/madbutch ) from 18-9-2001 (15:15), it explains how you start a network game!

Oh.. and the bug in HaCKMaTCH mode is probably fized to (need someone to check it for me, because it won't happen on my systems)

Have fun with it!

MadButch

September 21, 2001, 05:53 PM

Site moved to:

www.MadButch.com

ReAL

November 17, 2001, 06:13 PM

heheh :) cool man beetje laat gepost ik zat ff wat oude flipcodes te bekijken :)

MadButch

April 13, 2002, 02:27 AM

My site has move to a real internet domain this time, I got sick of the free ones being down so much...

Everything is now on: