Submitted by Teemu Veikko Ilmari Ojala, posted on July 16, 2001

Image Description, by Teemu Veikko Ilmari Ojala

Here is some screen shots from our project called 'JäÂäkäri'. The word jäÂäkäri is in Finnish and means 'Jäger' in german or basically anyone fighting in the infantry, but it is quite hard to translate to English.

Anyway, this game is about Finnish army and is supposed to show realistic Finnish scenerys, which basically means a lots of forests and rural areas.

The main specifications of the engine at this moment are:

- Forests entities with a LOD, and a super-LOD, which makes scenerys appear to have a huge amount of trees in them.

- Procedural roads, with junctions

- Heightmap based LOD landscape engine with Quadtree visibility determination.

- Basic collision detection for objects in the landscape, characters and the land. Means that you can't run through trees and that you can shoot other soldiers.

- 3DSMAX character animation system with animation layers. Ability to link things to characters, such as weapons, helmets, radios, granades etc.

- The normal stuff : particles, fog, day/night

All the screenshots are running at interactive framerates between 30 and 50 frames per second on P3/733/Geforce2 and K7/900/GF2.

The images:

Top left: A scenery with a procedural road and some forest entities. A barn next to the forest.

Top Right: A JäÂäkäri takes a bullet in his back. Lots of blood. Two other soldiers standing further.

Bottom left: A JäÂäkäri standing in the scenery. Super-LOD can been seen, but where :). The soldier is holding a 7.62 RK 62 which is the Finnish version of the russian assault rifle AK47.

Bottom right: First person look of the game, a camp with some tents. A medic is fixing a person who lost his guts.

There is so many things to do in this project so I won't even list them, but our intentions is to do a full scale war game including enemies, vehicles, multiplayer. This project has been under development for about a year. I have been coding it by myself and I have a friend making the 3D-models, so our resources are quite limited, but I think that we have a great job. When I started this project I hadn't heard about FlashPoint and when I heard about it, I was full of expectations, but I got a bit dissapointed with the demo. My idea with this game is that 'War doesn't need one man'.

There is no demo available at this time, it is our current priority to make a playable demo with AI enemies. More pictures will be on the net later when the pages are finished.

The WiredMan development team

Coding : Teemu Ojala
3D graphics : Mikko Monto

Navreet Gill

July 16, 2001, 04:54 PM

Cool shots, what is super lod?

I like the roads and stuff :).

I think it would be much better, if you used more detailed textures for the ground =).

Good Work! Keep it up!

absurd

July 16, 2001, 05:27 PM

Those particles could look better and the ground looks a bit too blurry and in one of the images textures don't tile right but I think these are little faults will naturally be taken care of.
Really cool IOTD in overall.

As Sebastian Sylvan suggested to include Ak5 in your game I will also add my contribution. Though I think it should be obvious for every finnish guy that a war game should have the ability to choose legendary "suomi-konepistooli" aka. KP/-31 submachine gun as a weapon, I really needed to remind you. Also here is a link if anyone is interested why this gun is so legendary (It was/is propably (one of) the best submachine guns in the world, and Suomi in that name means Finland ofcourse :) click here to know more about KP/-31".

Dave Strock

July 16, 2001, 05:59 PM

There was a very nice article in the July issue of Game Developer Mag on realistic lighting of terrain. I would highly suggest checking it out for a game such as this. I've been playing with the algorithm a bit, maybe I'll post a IOTD when I get some time to make it pretty :)

Jukka Liimatta

July 16, 2001, 06:11 PM

>Wow, finally a game where you get to blast away with trusty old 7.62 >RK 62 =) (though I got sick and tired of cleaning one during my time >in the army, like probably most finnish guys hence the mandatory >army

Likewise.. but I didn't post to just write "metoo", I was wondering when the first Sweden vs. Finland -MOD comes for this (game)engine. ;-)

Jukka Liimatta

July 16, 2001, 06:14 PM

Another finnish MP which would be nice to see, even if it's not in military use and generally illegal to acquire in Finland is the gun designed by gunsmith Mr.Löppönen, I'm ofcourse talking about the Jati-Matic ( famous from films like Red Draw, Cobra, LOL, etc. ;-)

Chinese make and sell pirate copies of Jati-Matic and the original designer (afaik) doesn't get a dime. Ohwell.

kewldude

July 16, 2001, 06:29 PM

You are so incredibly gay!

The describtion doesnt fit! That an alien marine with flurescent blood, look how its light up!

elikez

July 16, 2001, 06:29 PM

Funny sig :)

Mike Taylor

July 16, 2001, 07:34 PM

Its exactly what the description says, they just don't have a good particle model for blood (I would recommend smaller particles). You shouldn't be so negative, especially to someone with the experience Warren has, he might actually be able to help you someday with whatever coding issues you have.

-Mike Taylor

shrike

July 16, 2001, 08:14 PM

How did you do the road? Is it only able to be on flat surfaces?

vrempire

July 16, 2001, 09:20 PM

I love the trees. :)

Caba

July 16, 2001, 10:28 PM

How about adding grass?

Warren Marshall

July 16, 2001, 10:53 PM

"he might actually be able to help you someday with whatever coding issues you have."

The problem is, I'm so incredibly gay. :)

Lion V

July 17, 2001, 02:36 AM

Hmmm...
Needs a detail texture.
The road is sweet ! The level is that pic looks a little boxy. :-)
The blood...well...the particles need to (a)smaller and (b)much darker. And there needs to be less of it.
The trees look verra nice, as do the tents.
So do the gun models and the human model.
There should be more rocks and they some should look like they are sticking out of places in the ground. But thats a level deal, and not connected with the engine.
You might cut down on fog on clear days.
You should start the fog at about 50 miles out...thats what...like 120 kms ???
I dont know how the air in Finland is, but around here in the Rocky Mts of Idaho you can see a looong way out with no 'fog' effect at all on a clear day.
Only on cloudy days should fog kick in, and then rarly and it should be at like between 20-100 yards (20-90 m ???) out.
Under trees fog should be farther away.
I really hate unrealistic fog.

The Homeworld games have it, and they are outer space games *shudders*
So does High Impact Paintball(dont get it!)
The UT tunnel level with the green fog is fairly good though.

Sorry for ranting..I just hate bad fogging.

The engine does need work, but is very nice
I just might play it when done. :-)

~V'lion

Taharez

July 17, 2001, 03:33 AM

You got him there, Warren.. LOL

Khrob

July 17, 2001, 03:54 AM

nice to know our forum isn't being used by large companies to subtly advertise their products! :)

Why, as I was drinking jolt, (my favourite cola) and relaxing back with a slice of healthy Pizza Hut pizza, I made a note in my ever impressive, Palm V about how nice it is that the internet isn't filled with subliminal advertising.... :)

AAAH! A Tornado!

July 17, 2001, 04:53 AM

The fogging on these shots looks fine to me. It looks exactly like what it really is here in Finland, or atleast how it looked like all those days in the woods when i was in the army.

Bemmu Sepponen

July 17, 2001, 06:01 AM

Don't let feature creep hit you! Of course it would be nice to
do all kinds of stuff like command tanks or read a virtual version
of "tuntematon sotilas" while playing it, but hopefully you'll
only add features that are important to the game.

I'd rather see a small finished game than a massive one that is
never finished. Also if it's small it'll be easier to balance and
if you made it extensible you can always add more features to
future versions.

Please note that my favorite games include such as Joust and Galaga
so maybe I'm not up to date how massive games need to be today to
be popular :).

kewldude

July 17, 2001, 09:52 AM

You are the people taking everything to serious :) I was just referring to the XOR encryption(the key was "warren marshall is gay").

The Wolf

July 17, 2001, 10:31 AM

you're funny
FYI, I don't work for Codemasters, I have my own projects.
The reason I mentioned what I did is because of the similarities between the 2 engines, only one is already being used in a game, while the other is in development. The message is not subliminal the message is that he should look at the game and improve upon it, also he should look at the features in the game and decide if he would like to use them.
So in English, my intention is to help the poster and not advertise for codemasters, and if such indirect advertising happened then maybe codemasters developed a good game, worth checking out ;-) j/k

Khrob

July 17, 2001, 11:06 AM

I know dude!

It's actually a good suggestion. Good luck with your projects!

AticAtac

July 17, 2001, 11:07 AM

looks like Deer Hunter & co.
Definitly some more fog, water etc. could be added to the images.
Very nice work, once again scandinavians prove that they have
(traditionally) very good coders.

boosted_Man

July 17, 2001, 11:09 AM

Our website is now open at www.wiredman.net.

Unfortunately they are still in finnish only, but I'm working on the english pages and they'll propably be online later this week.

These pictures are still from an early version, and many things are still just temporary.
The particles are still very red, we know. That's because this way it's easier to see how they move and therefore it's easier to configure them. When they animate the way we want them to, we will make them look more realistic. So don't worry :)

The land-textures and their mipmaps aren't final yet and the fog still needs tweaking too. But anyway, the engine's starting to look the way we want it to and soon we can start conscentrating on the multiplayer-code, buildings with their interiors and AI.

People have been asking many questions about our game engine and it's possibilities. The engine is actually quite powerful and when it's done, it can handle almost any kind of environment.
Currently we are implementing buildings and city structure to the engine, and after that almost anything is possible. We'll also include a hi-resolution texture option for those who have the high-end machines.
A broad FAQ will be reliesed on our website along with the english pages, so stay tuned.

The engine can also handle MODs. We are planning of making a Vietnam War -mod ourselves once Jääkäri is finished. But more of that later.

First we imagined only finnish people would be interested in this game, but we are happy to discover that other people are enthusiastic as well.

Mikko Monto
The WiredMan development team

Saruwine

July 17, 2001, 11:43 AM

The Suomi smg is pretty much out of the question as the game is set in the modern times and that venerable weapon was removed from the arsenal of the Finnish army decades ago. The RK62, also depicted in the pics above, is the current standard weapon of the Finnish infantry.

Of course, if and when Jääkäri is finished there will very probably appear a WW2 mod soon after - and in that the Suomi smg is indeed a must-have.

Saruwine

July 17, 2001, 12:16 PM

Just as an aside, a couple of notes on the word "jääkäri":

Ethymologically, it is derived from the German "Jäger" which means 'hunter'. However, that is not a good traslation in itself because in Finnish the word "jääkäri" has nothing to do with hunting.

In the Finnish military terminology "jääkäri"
a) is the lowest rank in the infantry. ('Private' in English, I believe?)
b) is in colloquial speech used as a substitute for "soldier" or "infantry man", like "Minä olen vain tavallinen jääkäri", 'I'm just a common soldier.'
c) means 'heavy infantry' in unit designations, such as "jääkäripataljoona" or "jääkäriprikaati" ('heavy infantry batallion' or 'heavy infantry brigade'). Jääkäri units have more, better, and heavier equipment than ordinary infantry units.
d) is used as a part of some service branch names, for example "laskuvarjojääkäri", literally 'parachute jääkäri', i.e. airborne ranger.

How should it be translated for the game title, then? As far as I understand, the word 'ranger' would cover the points c) and d) above fairly well, but actually I believe the guys at Wiredman have primarily had the a) and b) meanings of the word in mind. (I don't claim to know, just guessing here...)

So, my grand suggestion for the translation would be... Soldier.

Simple, effective, probably hard to trademark, though. ;-) As a matter of fact, the title should probably not be traslated at all.

Mark Friedenbach

July 17, 2001, 04:43 PM

"Grunt" - the colloquial term for the low ranking infantry man. It fits the first three definitions you mentioned.

extinguished

July 24, 2001, 07:42 PM

In german, Jäger has two meanings: one is for hunter, the other one for a military rank so the finish 'jääkäri' was propably borrowed from the military rank, not from the hunter.

Ari-Pekka Repo

August 11, 2001, 01:32 PM

Yes, the term "jääkäri" is borrowed from the military term. Reason for this (I think) is that the finnish army is actually (historically) based on the german military traditions and training. And finland and germany have always been kind of "soul mates" in certain things :)

I think that the "grunt" is a good but not complete translation of the word "jääkäri". The word "jääkäri" is most certainly used in the same meaning as the "grunt" ("I'm just a grunt" etc), but it is also an official term used in the military, like a "private" (?) or "trooper" in english.

I think the best (although inadequate) translation would be "ranger" or "trooper" etc. But for a title for the game "Grunt" is ok :)