Submitted by Teemu Veikko Ilmari Ojala, posted on July 16, 2001

Image Description, by Teemu Veikko Ilmari Ojala

Here is some screen shots from our project called 'JäÂäkäri'. The word jäÂäkäri is in Finnish and means 'Jäger' in german or basically anyone fighting in the infantry, but it is quite hard to translate to English.

Anyway, this game is about Finnish army and is supposed to show realistic Finnish scenerys, which basically means a lots of forests and rural areas.

The main specifications of the engine at this moment are:

- Forests entities with a LOD, and a super-LOD, which makes scenerys appear to have a huge amount of trees in them.

- Procedural roads, with junctions

- Heightmap based LOD landscape engine with Quadtree visibility determination.

- Basic collision detection for objects in the landscape, characters and the land. Means that you can't run through trees and that you can shoot other soldiers.

- 3DSMAX character animation system with animation layers. Ability to link things to characters, such as weapons, helmets, radios, granades etc.

- The normal stuff : particles, fog, day/night

All the screenshots are running at interactive framerates between 30 and 50 frames per second on P3/733/Geforce2 and K7/900/GF2.

The images:

Top left: A scenery with a procedural road and some forest entities. A barn next to the forest.

Top Right: A JäÂäkäri takes a bullet in his back. Lots of blood. Two other soldiers standing further.

Bottom left: A JäÂäkäri standing in the scenery. Super-LOD can been seen, but where :). The soldier is holding a 7.62 RK 62 which is the Finnish version of the russian assault rifle AK47.

Bottom right: First person look of the game, a camp with some tents. A medic is fixing a person who lost his guts.

There is so many things to do in this project so I won't even list them, but our intentions is to do a full scale war game including enemies, vehicles, multiplayer. This project has been under development for about a year. I have been coding it by myself and I have a friend making the 3D-models, so our resources are quite limited, but I think that we have a great job. When I started this project I hadn't heard about FlashPoint and when I heard about it, I was full of expectations, but I got a bit dissapointed with the demo. My idea with this game is that 'War doesn't need one man'.

There is no demo available at this time, it is our current priority to make a playable demo with AI enemies. More pictures will be on the net later when the pages are finished.

The WiredMan development team

Coding : Teemu Ojala
3D graphics : Mikko Monto

Caereth

July 16, 2001, 08:36 AM

very nice pictures, how is that super-LOD working? those weapon models look great.
those roads are cool too :) keep up the good work

zeroprey

July 16, 2001, 08:57 AM

looks great. i really like the trees. could you explain what super LOD is? it's also nice to see such a long explanation.

L.e.Denninger

July 16, 2001, 09:09 AM

Totally amazing that you've been able to do this in a years time with only two people.

There are professional development-teams that produce less with more people :)

Pants

July 16, 2001, 09:21 AM

Sounds like 'Jääkäri' probably means "Grunt"

These are really impressive shots. Some things I could mention are, in the bottom right pic, there is a diagonal line were the textures dont meet correctly. Also, the gound texture is a bit blurry. Maybe a detail texture would be nice.

Other han that, its cool. Nice trees.

Pete

AAAH! A Tornado!

July 16, 2001, 09:25 AM

Darn this looks great! I've been planning on a similar game for a long time now, just haven't actually started it as my 3D-engine is sooo under development. And now I won't even start making it as you've got something better coming along there it seems :)

Notify us immediately when you've got a playable demo!

Patrik Kudo

July 16, 2001, 09:35 AM

This looks great! Impressive features and great trees.

I think that Jääkeri would probably be translated as "Hunter" but the meaning is more
like the US Marines or something.

Good job!

/Kudo

MK42

July 16, 2001, 10:02 AM

These shots are quite amazing for a two man effort. The feature list also looks quite yummy ... Animations, procedural roads ... really nice. The scenery also looks quite convincing ... sorta like a cold foggy morning ...

Caereth:

The super-LOD probably joins several tree-billboards into one billboard with a group of trees. I think Operation Flashpoint does something similar. This is of course assuming that you switch to a billboarded version for trees which are far away.

I think the appropriate english term for Jääkäri is "Ranger".

- MK42

Morgan

July 16, 2001, 10:03 AM

The trees look really superb. I haven't seen anything with so many.

-m

The Wolf

July 16, 2001, 10:11 AM

EXCELLENT WORK!!
vey nice work, Yes it does look a lot like Operation FlashPoint, btw Operation FlashPoint is not just a one man show, I ordered the game and as you progress through it you can command other troops to do almost anything, you also have missions where you command a tank or helicopter (in each you can be either pilot, gunner or commander), this might be something you should add in your game. Since your game is very much like OFP, I suggest getting the game playing it a bit and improving upon it, with what I can see now, it's very much possible.
The game also has a decent AI and well made missions.
The game can be ordered from www.codemasters.com.
I hope to see a demo soon.
Keep up the excellent work!

Lucid

July 16, 2001, 10:18 AM

According to babelfish it means hunters, so obviously it means something else... lol

Cool images... the top left and bottom right really give you a feel that the engine can display some beautiful scenery..

freakyboy

July 16, 2001, 10:24 AM

Hey, absolutly cool screenshots. Your game idea sounds excactly what we're planning to do too :) a massive war game. But we are concentrating on a multiplayer version only, because we don't believe in singleplayer games (have a look at atmosphere.stt-clan.ch our "underconstruction" page). About operation flashpoint: i think it's quite a failed project. I played the game for some minutes, and it's full of bugs and weird things. My first impression was that it can't be finished in that state, then I read a PC-Games magazine back from the end of 1998, where the developerteam said that they will release the game in july 1999 (the screenshots looked quite the same as today), and then they release it in june 2001, hmm :) .. sounds like they had some serious problems ..

About the super LOD: I don't know how it's done in this engine, but perhaps like mk42 mentioned, it's some billboard simplification. Anyway, when I analyzed flashpoint I saw how they done it in their engine: They have a lot of trees and whole forests in their scenery, so they need a good simplification. For tree groups in large distance they only draw lines of trees/billboards along gridlines which are covered by the forest. If looked from about the same height (standing on the terrain) this looks quite good, but if you move up (with a chopper or whatelse) you can see these tree-grids .. it's a nice approach, but it's quite a specialized version of LOD that only works (looks good) for objects like trees and when viewed from before.

freakyboy

Rectilinear Cat

July 16, 2001, 11:09 AM

Is it just me or are you all counterstrike addicts too? :) Despite the many heated discussions on this site about originality this and breaking new ground that, I'll make a wargame of some kind also, just cos it's so damn cool! Or maybe, the game in this IOTD could be designed with a scalable scripting system, so flipcoders could add stuff to it or something. Just a thought :)

freakyboy

July 16, 2001, 11:19 AM

hehe. i'm not really a CS addict, but I play it from time to time (LANs or Internet). And i'm really amazed that a game with such an easy concept can become that popular. I think that the future of gaming lies in pure multiplayer games, because singleplayer can never bring that feel of challenge and competition to a player like a multiplayer game. In addition a multiplayer game can be played daily over years, but not a singleplayer game :) This is my motivation to make our game . .

Wired Al

July 16, 2001, 12:01 PM

Counter-Strike has been one of the things in the bottom, but lately I have been quite frustrated with the CS because of all the morons cheating and its lack of realism.

The Super-Lod is beyond of billboarded sprites, Freakyboy has a quite good idea of what I am talking about.

I forgot to mention that the game contains also a integrated editor for the landscape, roads, forests and other objects. Our WWW-site should be up in few days, maybe even today at address : www.wiredman.net . I have to apologize that the pages are in Finnish, but at least, you can see some other screen shots.

LoreKeeper

July 16, 2001, 12:03 PM

Kinky. :) Nice "real" feeling to it...

What about weather conditions? Rain/proper fog/snow and the like? I'd think they would be a very important part of any good war game.

James Railton

July 16, 2001, 12:17 PM

Black & White has some great LOD for forests and trees shown from above. It's quite lush with detail when close up, simplified at a medium distance, and converts things over to textures on the landscape as you zoom way out. It's worth checking out.

Buster

July 16, 2001, 12:33 PM

What is that in the upper right, some type of energy weapon?

Warren Marshall

July 16, 2001, 12:39 PM

From the description ...

"Top Right: A Jääkäri takes a bullet in his back. Lots of blood. Two other soldiers standing further."

freakyboy

July 16, 2001, 01:02 PM

i'm just curious. how many polys per sec can you pull down your pipeline?? 1Mio, 2Mio? .. This engine, like mine, is more than just a simple poly-pusher! I'm getting around 600k poly/sec on my PII 350 and a TNT2. On a GeForceII i get around 1-3 Mio polys. But this is without using hardware T&L (i will soon implement this, and hope to get 4-6 mio polys). Is this enough?

[-WD40-]

July 16, 2001, 01:02 PM

Very Very nice! Looks alot like OFP like others mentionned. What I dislike however is that the ground textures are way too blurry...maybe you should try using detail texture mapping it could increase the realism to another level.

Matt2000

July 16, 2001, 01:15 PM

Nice work, the screen shots look very cool. But what about lighting? I think this would look really cool.(And it's a big challenge to do dynamic lighting of a landscape in realtime:-) ) And rework your "blood"-system, it doesn't look very realistic at the moment.

MC BAXTON

July 16, 2001, 01:19 PM

Nice iotd and absolutely silly comments...

freakyboy

July 16, 2001, 01:44 PM

... including yours :)

ecko_53

July 16, 2001, 02:30 PM

This game looks friggin kewl...good work etc...

agentLobster

July 16, 2001, 02:52 PM

Wow, finally a game where you get to blast away with trusty old 7.62 RK 62 =) (though I got sick and tired of cleaning one during my time in the army, like probably most finnish guys hence the mandatory army service..) But seriously, great job, looks very promising, even with somewhat blurry ground textures and a tad large blood drops. ;)

RoastBeef

July 16, 2001, 03:02 PM

I've been dreaming about a game like this for quite some time now... *drool

Please, do me a favor and finish this game ;) I'll be very very grateful. Not only does this LOOK amazing, it's heavily populated with forests (YES, SNIPING!), and you can do more than just go around and shoot. You can also help your fellow teammates get their guts back in place! :D Sweet deal, I'm waiting...

raiderr1

July 16, 2001, 03:25 PM

You're game looks great, how large are the maps/levels going to be?
Asa

David20321

July 16, 2001, 04:24 PM

Wow. Now if the guy in upper-right hand pic actually fell down the hill that would be awesome :) Or does he just fall onto the x-z plane and end up sticking out of the hill like most games? Anyways great pics, nice landscape, very cool trees.

-David-

Sebastian Sylvan

July 16, 2001, 04:28 PM

You should incorporate weapons from swedish rangers too! Ak5 is a seriously sweet weapon. I for one have troubles finding one weapon that does the job better than the ak5. I mean no recoil, high muzzle velocity, very good performance under tough conditions, almost never fails, small and light, NATO standard ammunition, accurate. Sweeeeeet weapon.

===Bobert===

July 16, 2001, 04:33 PM

dont the blood droplets look a bit like Q2's?
-bobert