Submitted by Kosmokleaner, posted on July 15, 2001

Image Description, by Kosmokleaner

Do you remember my raytracing pictures some days ago? Someone in the forum inspired me to try this in realtime (top image at about 12fps). A few days later my GeForce3 arrived. This is the result of 1-2 hours work. ( I only modified a NVidia OpenGL demo. )

The modified demo is downloadable (GeForce3 only).

Much more details (in english) can be found on my website:

www.Kosmokleaner.de/shaderring.html

(Bye the way, this is the only english part of my website)

TheChicken

July 15, 2001, 07:40 AM

I'm first :P
looks nice image too :-)

LessBread

July 15, 2001, 07:43 AM

Ach! the chicken beat me to it! That's really great - looks like some kind of horrible blood virus!

Moby Disk

July 15, 2001, 08:25 AM

Surely this is not ray-tracing?

davepermen

July 15, 2001, 08:31 AM

very nice idea, the depth-sprites..

they are so slow? damn..

btw, congratulations to your 4th place in the contest. i liked your code the most, very powerfull system you generated there.

Rag on a Stick

July 15, 2001, 08:36 AM

Ok, this is my first post... firstly, a little rant on why it isn't my 50th:

You "first post" claimers really ruin a nice place like this. I really enjoy coming here and looking at the images and reading the articles, but seeing the childish games played by some people really discourages people from coming here. It makes the place seem so unprofessional. If you really respect this place, don't do it, because the only thing it does is drives away people.

I really wish my very first post here wasn't attacking people, and it isn't directed towards anyone in particular either, but I needed to get that out of my system.

Anyway, about the actual picture:

Wow. That looks so cool. The idea of rendering such high quality images in realtime really is exciting. What I'm wondering, is how fast it went without using any of the optimisations you put in? I know it is hard to distinguish what classifies as an optimisation, but assuming you started with a bare bones "get the image on the screen" type of program, how fast did that go?

Now, you just have to make it interactive :)

TheChicken

July 15, 2001, 09:05 AM

No offence ;)

sulphur

July 15, 2001, 09:08 AM

Maybe he doesn't like chickens. ;)

TheChicken

July 15, 2001, 09:12 AM

*bwark*
ooops, sorry, just layed an egg..

yeah, chicken-ist!!!!!
;)

davepermen

July 15, 2001, 09:13 AM

let the childs play..

Rag on a Stick

July 15, 2001, 09:19 AM

------------
No offense taken... now I've got that out of my system, I'll be right. It just got a bit old on me, and although I don't know about other people, but maybe it is a bit stale for them too. I don't expect to change the world though, so don't take my rant too seriously either, just consider what you are doing.
-------------

I don't think it would be ray tracing, since from my knowledge, the GeForce3 wouldn't really help that.... unless someone has thought of a cool way to do so?

MC BAXTON

July 15, 2001, 09:56 AM

What else you could expect from chicken ..

richard

July 15, 2001, 11:35 AM

Awesome!

You should send this demo to nVidia, maybe they'll put it in the demo section :)

Brebion flavien

July 15, 2001, 12:05 PM

Something that bothers me as much as people just posting to say they are the first are people that don't read the description. Damn it, this one is only 5 lines long, and people ask questions that are answered inside!

Anyway this is a very nice shot! How many vertices are there?

F. Brebion

kewldude

July 15, 2001, 12:11 PM

What contest are you talking about?

OGAPO

July 15, 2001, 01:12 PM

Very Nice! I was wondering, is that all one object, or are the outer tubes separate from the inner one? Also, what was your inspiration for thiis "shape" or does it just particularly lend itself to the technique you are using?

Wish I could run the demo heh, but not all of us are lucky enough to have a GeForce 3 already ;-)

Jallen

July 15, 2001, 01:59 PM

If you can run the depth sprite demo from NVIDIA's site, this demo uses the same technique to fake a 3D object using many little quads oriented towards the camera. Extremely well done, it looks really awesome.

Warren Marshall

July 15, 2001, 03:26 PM

"You take things a little too seriously.. Perhaps you should chill and vent your frustrations elsewhere.. :-)"

And you take things a little too lightly. Have some respect for the authors work. If you have nothing productive to say other than "first post!", keep quiet.

davepermen

July 15, 2001, 04:22 PM

-----

Warren Marshall
Level Designer/Programmer/Corporate Shill
Epic Games (www.epicgames.com)

did you sayd anything to the picture? ;) i like it, can't wait for my geforce.. the emulator just prints a gray window, no depthsprites at all..

thec

July 15, 2001, 05:13 PM

Warren, crossposting isn't that nice too you know ;-) (j/k)

Kosmokleaner, I still have your last entry to the IOTD as background in windows, should make you proud or something ;-)

I guess it's my time to throw in a IOTD soon.... working on a script editor and a dialog system...

albert

MC BAXTON

July 15, 2001, 06:57 PM

You remember me one guite silly bird
lol

Buster

July 16, 2001, 01:35 AM

is that a jello mold?

Warren Marshall

July 16, 2001, 02:03 AM

"did you sayd anything to the picture? ;)"

Totally predictable response.

No, I didn't. This was because I was responding to a sub thread about first posters. It doesn't invalidate what I said.

Dave Strock

July 16, 2001, 02:25 AM

Ok, I have to agree with Rag on a Stick here. I've been readin Flipcode for a long time now, along with the IOTD's, but I Never created an account until today. But this is the thread that made me do it. I can't believe all the dumb "first post" crap that I see here, whats the point anyway? You get nothing from doing it, except annoy people and lose respect. I don't have much to say here usually so I don't, if I have a question I'll usually send an email to the person if their account has it visible. There is no reason I should have to scroll through 2 first post messages, then a couple of "Oh damn, he beat me to first post" ones, just to read a few real comments. Please cut that junk out, its such a waste and only makes you look foolish.

And I must say, that posting Warren's reply like this was the most foolish act of all. Come on, what are you 4?

In short, spend less time trying to get first post, and more time on your code, and you'll be much happier. And so will we.

Thank you.

Kurt Miller

July 16, 2001, 03:21 AM

For those of you acting otherwise, 'first post' is most definitely not a flipcode-only problem. Look at pretty much any other popular site with comments. While I agree its annoying and completely unneccesary, it truly amazes me to hear that scrolling past 2 messages on one of the comment forums (IOTD) is enough to keep some of you from joining in community discussions (which, despite the occasional nonsense, usually turn out to be rather productive). Of all the "problem" posts we've had on these forums over the years, 'first post' doesn't strike me as that big of a deal. I don't really see how 'mature posters' refraining from posting because of 'immature posters' does anything but add to the problem. In any event, hopefully those of you interested in participating in discussions will eventually look past it.

But while I'm at it, to whomever it may concern: Please stop the 'first post' nonsense.

L.e.Denninger

July 16, 2001, 03:58 AM

And I've really had it with another type of message; I don't want to scroll down 26 messages of ranting about maturity of #flipcoders everyday before I can get to the *good* jokes or *relevant* discussions.

MC BAXTON

July 16, 2001, 04:59 AM

Of course, scrolling down is still a big work for some ppl

TheChicken

July 16, 2001, 06:05 AM

I notice you just can't keep out of flame wars.. your as bad! :-)

TheChicken

July 16, 2001, 06:16 AM

It sure is amusing looking at posts from people on here who spend alot of time moaning and bitching about other people. I think its people like warren "Mr pot" marshall who keeps flames alive. he just cant help himself.. he loves to respond to them.. personally, you won't see many flames from me :-)

I like to watch from a distance =)

and i'm about to do just that for a bit now.. eheh

warren, if you have nothing usefull to say about the IOTD, KEEP QUIET!! lammah :-)

richard

July 16, 2001, 07:31 AM

Damnit, how old are you guys?

If you really want to post such nonsense than please do it (and keep it) in a subthread and NOT the mainthread!

So please SHUT UP!!